Voice Overs

• Mod

While I really enjoyed the sentences and the acting, I think that certain voice overs for the ninja class are just so quiet that they are no longer audible. While I understand that the concept is having the ninja be a silent person it came to a situation where I had to turn down the mumble chat just to hear what the ninja said sometimes.

I don’t think its a good idea to exert the player to enjoy these sounds, which are imo awesome.
    Boost the decibels!

Also, why are there damned seagulls in the spawns of each map?

• I really like the ninja’s voice, its funny, its cool, its everything it should be.

I have been thinking about the pirate’s voice ever since he got one but I am just going to say this one thing. even though I love the lines given to him and even though I know its the same guy doing the voice, he sounds just a tad to much like the mason vanguard to my ears (except drunk-afide)

THE SPAAARTAAAN!!!
    This is the one that really doesn’t sit well with me, if its final then that’s fine, I’ll adapt.
    As it is now however, it seems on about half the lines he sounds like he is speaking through a fan or some other voice distorting object (sounds kinda like Seaspay from transformers )
    There is something else I don’t like about the voice but I have yet to put my finger on it.

I hate to be so negative and I certainly don’t mean any of this as a bad reflection of the voice actors talent because the voices sound great on their own! It just doesn’t meld with the others as well as I would like to imagine.

Maybe its just me :?

Also the new ninja lines are pretty fun but I do miss the chicken noise :P

• Developer

I did jack the ninja voice up a bit after reading the OP, think its a bit better now. Still trying to keep it somewhat a loud whisper.

The pirate IS the mason vanguard guy. Only recorded in a better room. When i recorded mason vanguard i thought this guy sounds like a pirate! Also he IS very drunk.

The spartan is final, he did have a vibrato to his voice which I liked. Wanted them to sound weathered and gruff. I’m assuming like the original chiv there will be ones people like more and less, and that that will vary from person to person at times.

Samurai next then VIking! Thanks for the feedback.

• Bring back the Ninja’s ‘all clear’ bird call. It was too nice to waste. Also if you’ve got the time, The ninja’s standing ‘c’ animation should be him putting a finger to his lips and whispering ‘shhh’. Voices are great so far, good lines mostly and they give a great feel to the game. Good work TBS

• I’m also thinking actual words spoken in japanese would be a nice addition. Just basic phrases that are popular. Ex: Anata Wa Shinu ( You will die). Or any other form of sentence using “Korosu” and other popular known japanese words.

Of course it can be more creative. Just thinking it would add a bit more atmosphere and authenticity to the great stuff that is already there.

• why not just hire a japanese voice actor

• Developer

Have one for samurai. Lines will be added soon!

• @Damoiselle:

I’m also thinking actual words spoken in japanese would be a nice addition. Just basic phrases that are popular. Ex: Anata Wa Shinu ( You will die). Or any other form of sentence using “Korosu” and other popular known japanese words.

Of course it can be more creative. Just thinking it would add a bit more atmosphere and authenticity to the great stuff that is already there.

Thanks a lot, now I really want the Samurai to say omae wa mou shindeiru.

YSgpU70MZno

• No keep it in English.

• A friend of mine expressed that they would like to hear important/common japanese sayings here and there, and I totally agree.

Similar to Marth in smash brothers, or Akuma in street fighter.

MUDA DA…

Edit Fell victim to not reading the very last bit of posts first.

• Yeah, I would like the Samurai to say some frases in japanese. Like when taunting, laughing (something he can say inbetween chuckles), and for battle cries. BANZAIIIIIIIII! (or is that a too modern expression?)

I also think if you choose to yell “Retreat!” with a samurai, he will instead perform seppuku. Just joking. Or am I?

• Mod

I love the volume on the ninja voice cues now. Its just the right amount of quiet and noticeable.
    I also wanted to say that
    I hope you will chose to give the viking a Swedish accent which is not Arnold Schwarzenegger.
    Also, as a lisping person- I thought it might be cool to make the viking VO have a lisp of some sort.
    What you think? D:

• @User:

I love the volume on the ninja voice cues now. Its just the right amount of quiet and noticeable.
    I also wanted to say that
    I hope you will chose to give the viking a Swedish accent which is not Arnold Schwarzenegger.
    Also, as a lisping person- I thought it might be cool to make the viking VO have a lisp of some sort.
    What you think? D:

Although I’m flattered, being Swedish, vikings didn’t come just from the country we nowadays call Sweden. If there are any danish or norwegian testers here, they will probably take offense, as we always do when someone praises a different nordic nationality than our own. Also, a modern-day Swedish accent in English isn’t really that intimidating! Then imagine adding a lisp to that!

PrzwpZfONXY

Ok, so that’s a rather extreme example of an accent right there x) But as a swede, I hear that accent a lot.

Icelandic is the language that still sound the most like Old Norse, so I guess we could say the viking should be voiced by an Icelander. I don’t know if Sir Loin knows any Icelandic voice actors.

Edit:
    Here’s a cool folk song in Icelandic that I found, could just as well be vikings who sing it, right?

tq4seuBFxIM

• @SavageBeatings:

and for battle cries. BANZAIIIIIIIII! (or is that a too modern expression?)

That’s Chinese :p It was probably used in Japan as well, both languages have some loan words. But its original Chinese meaning wasn’t really a battle cry. The Japanese only adopted it as a battle cry in WW2 for kamikaze and human wave attacks.

• @SlyGoat:

@SavageBeatings:

That’s Chinese :p It was probably used in Japan as well, both languages have some loan words. But its original Chinese meaning wasn’t really a battle cry. The Japanese only adopted it as a battle cry in WW2 for kamikaze and human wave attacks.

Probably used”? Its most known usage was by the japanese in WW2, like you said.

I’ve read somewhere they adopted it as a battle cry in the late 19th century, and made famous in WW2, that’s why I asked if it was too modern because the era of the samurai had ended by that time.

Aaaand if we’re going with the arcady style and historical incorrectness of the Deadliest Warrior, if it proves to be cool > accuracy, then it’s an option for inclusion.

• @SavageBeatings:

A modern-day Swedish accent in English isn’t really that intimidating! Then imagine adding a lisp to that!

I LOL’d! :D

• @SavageBeatings:

@SlyGoat:

@SavageBeatings:

Probably used”? Its most known usage was by the japanese in WW2, like you said.

I’ve read somewhere they adopted it as a battle cry in the late 19th century, and made famous in WW2, that’s why I asked if it was too modern because the era of the samurai had ended by that time.

Aaaand if we’re going with the arcady style and historical incorrectness of the Deadliest Warrior, if it proves to be cool > accuracy, then it’s an option for inclusion.

They still used feudal samurai then. Though the invention of bolt action rifles the same lead to a military reform a few years later completely ditching any melee infantry.

• @SlyGoat:

Now I really want the Samurai to say omae wa mou shindeiru.

YSgpU70MZno

I just heard the samurai say that for the first time today and I am not even joking…I just finished watching the second season of fist of the north star just an hour earlier.

Needless to say I was ecstatic to hear the line in my favorite game :D

Also any thoughts from you guys on the new Viking voices?

I have yet to make any opinions on them.

• I can’t wait to hear the Viking. Hopefully none of the current ones are kept; they could be so much better. For example “Ayy goht yerr bahhk” (I got your back) sounds sort of Scottish, and the heavy tone sounds more beer-choked than deep. Not bashing the voice actor, I’m sure the same one could perform well taking a different direction. Let’s make him sound more Scandinavian yes? And fill his vocabulary with references to Norse gods, mead, and seafaring!

I don’t find it necessary to have more Japanese language for Samurai or Ninja. Tactical commands should be understood by English-speaking players, so that just leaves stuff like laughs, taunts, battlecries that don’t need communicative words, which already use “korosu” and so forth. I must admit, “omae wa mou shindeiru” would sound pretty badass, but then again so would many other phrases. My favorite clip actually contains no words; the high-pitched Samurai scream makes me laugh every time. YAAHHH!!! :D

Spartan is certainly not original, but I thoroughly enjoy it. Wouldn’t change (the battlecries, at least).

• Yeah, I’m really looking forward to the viking voices too. The ones I’ve heard so far is not really that interesting, they just sound very… bloodthirsty, so far. Even meaner than the Mason Knight. Sure, people love stereotypes and I guess that’s what you’re aiming for. Although as a Scandinavian, it gets tiring when the only viking foreigners know is the bloodthirsty rapist with horned helmets, like if rape and plundering was unique to vikings at that time.

But yeah, Sir Loin said something like “warrior poet” so I hope there are a lot of quotes from the Sagas.