Brandistock vs Spear

• So hi.

I use a spear, and though I wouldn’t touch the fork with a bargepole, I find myself wondering which is largely considered superior of the other two spears, and why? I’ve played mostly with the spear, and found great joy knowing that my stick was longer than anyone else’s stick, though there is forever that niggling feeling every time I throw a random slash that if it were a trois-pronged brandistock, it may have scored me that kill, that much sooner.

So, kind open hearted silver tongued cavaliers of the forums. Which and why, I ask you that.

• I have a much harder time fighting against a brandistock. It doesn’t seem to have ANY weaknesses; it’s fast (slash), very powerful, and the long poke can be dragged like a boss. Slightly less range than spear of course, but not enough to really matter. Other people may have different experiences and opinions, but personally I find fighting the brandistock much more difficult.

Also the fork is really dangerous 1 v 1 :D

• I would always roll with the Brandistock over the Spear. So much more damage, hardly any less range, and just a tad slower. But because it’s slower it can be dragged to greater effectiveness and dragging is always a +1. Brandistock > Spear any day.

• Also, the brandistock’s animations are awful and choppy, and seem to consist of maybe 3 different frames (sliiiiight exaggeration). It can be pretty hard to time parries against this weapon, especially when up close, or just at the very tip of the brandi’s reach.

• The lastest patches kinda fucked up the balance between the spear and the brandistock. I always played brandistock but I took the spear if I had to fight against other spears or polearms cause the spear was faster and longer. But since the patch there is no reason anymore not to pick the brandi. The slash is fast, you can 1hit MaAs and Archers etc.

• Wtf… My post got doubleposted…

• Don’t forget about its stupidly high knockback, making most knights stay at bay.

• I’d choose the spear. The brandistock just looks ridiculous, like an oversized fishing spear.

• I don’t really use spears of any kind, but I fight them, and the Brandistock is absolutely ridiculous. I just can’t beat it. Especially there overhead stab. By the way, if anyone’s interested I need some more steam friends, so send me a request at TEC_rruss (my steam display name)

• Brandistock for 1 hit kill on MAA/Archer and for the lovely insta slash followed up by super slow dragged overhead, catching a lot of people off guard by the huge variance in speed.

• Brandi is better vs everything. Although the Thrusting spear is the best brandistock killer, I myself love the spear a lot more than the brandistock, the fork is ridicolously good in 1vN situations as well, totally underrated weapon. But brandi can 1hit 2 classes, and basically wreck the other classes as well, you can kill every class with 3 slashes which is dumb. So continue using the spear if you prefer it, it’s more fun and less dumb.

• The main advantage that Spear has over Brandistock is that it’s slightly faster. This is actually a big deal in Brandi vs Spear 1v1s (you’ll win “hittrades” when you’re both 1 hit away from death since you will hit them first), not so much in most other situations.

Brandi’s range is nearly the same, but the damage is so much greater, most importantly on the LMB. Spear does trivial damage with LMB. Brandi 1-shots MAAs with LMB. If it weren’t for the LMB’s combination of stupid speed AND stupid damage (it should be fine with just one imo), Spear would be a lot more appealing of an alternative. That, and Brandi tags Knights notably more than the Spear, so a random Musserp or Grand Mace may end your life in one hit rather than two after you’ve been hit by a Brandi rather than a Spear.

• spear destroys brandi in 1v1

• spear is better because it hasthe most reach, and it’s farthest reaching attack is MUCH faster than the brandi. Which is honestly the only attack you’ll ever need to use. Follow teamates around and stab from an angle and you score up the kill steals and assists. brandi is better if you’re lonewolfing, spear is the best support weapon in the game hands down. spear is a lot harder to use however, as the lmb does hardly any damage and the shorter reaching stab is really only of use in 1v1 situations. You should be overheading all the time with the spear.

Faster + longer > slower and shorter

brandi far reach stab is way to slow imho, it’s just a step down from the spear in general.

Though people will never stop complaining about the brandi because the lmb is the only attack it has going for it.

• Brandis are for pansies, spears are for true medieval man

• @Flippy:

I would always roll with the Brandistock over the Spear. So much more damage, hardly any less range, and just a tad slower. But because it’s slower it can be dragged to greater effectiveness and dragging is always a +1. Brandistock > Spear any day.

But the spear is just….faster…
    I disagree.

• @wyrda78:

I’d choose the spear. The brandistock just looks ridiculous, like an oversized fishing spear.

Haha agreed. Spear was the first weapon I ever picked up, got pretty good with it. I love the spear, takes forever to kill people sometimes though. Only reason I don’t use brandistock honestly… it’s ugly as shit.

But never picked up fork too much… just might try it out today actually.

• @KingWillie:

But never picked up fork too much… just might try it out today actually.

Speed of the Fork catches a lot of people off-guard in duels or even small battles. Anything bigger than that and you’re severely gimped by the combination of low-ish range and lack of combo.

I agree on the Spear. It’s a good support weapon to poke people from a distance with, but it can be really frustrating when it takes forever to kill an opponent due to lack of a high-damaging teammate.

• Fork will get you more assists than any other weapon, it’s also great for finishing people with low health.

• spear is a good vanguard killer

brandi is better at everything else