Parrying Projectiles

• Did a little bit of testing today and found that the Pirate (not sure about the other classes) can block projectiles with a cutlass (didn’t try other weapons). That blew my mind. Sure it’s not the most realistic thing ever but oh my days it was majestic. Can anyone confirm this actually being a feature? Is it a bug? I have no idea. I, personally, would like this ingame but I can see why many wouldn’t. Thoughts?

• This is a new feature.

• Wow, that’s awesome, regardless of realism. Do you guys know of any other weapons or classes that can do so?

• Would be a nice feature in the game to be able to Parry / Deflect any throwables such as the following: Throwing Star, Black egg? and throwing spears. That won’t render you completely chanceless versus a shotgunner ranged class, but it should be hard to perform.

• Sly deflected one of my shuriken today with his ninja blade of righteousness :P

Don’t know about deflecting spears though…

• @SlyGoat:

This is a new feature.

Really?

• @High:

Wow, that’s awesome, regardless of realism. Do you guys know of any other weapons or classes that can do so?

Any class can parry any projectile right now. Not sure if it’ll be staying like that. Parrying bullets is a little weird :P

• Keep parrying projectiles in imo it’s awesome and skillful.

• Well glad I found out. Yeah I think all classes should have access to this. Super nifty

• @Knil:

Keep parrying projectiles in imo it’s awesome and skillful.

I mean I’m not sure if it’ll be staying for all projectiles. Javelins, bullets, arrows for example.

• @SlyGoat:

@Knil:

I mean I’m not sure if it’ll be staying for all projectiles. Javelins, bullets, arrows for example.

Ohh. Wow how did I not understand that? That makes sense. Keep arrows? It’s hard to do but within reason from what you see in action films and everyone knows Hollywood is historically accurate. But really. Deflecting arrows is good. Not javs or bullets.

• Arrows, Bolts and Bullets are valid exception for the Projectile Parry feature as most of them are made at distance, or could be easily avoided upclose.

But with Javelin and other throwables, they are upclose and after they have thrown their first projectile weapon, they are never penalties the same way as Bows, Crossbows and Guns. They usually have another one to back themself up with so why not allow the feature to block Javelins aswell, just make it a tad harder.

There is sometimes the huge problem where players are too easily shotgunned by throwable weapons, and they feel like they cannot do much, adding a “possability” with the projectile parry is a good move to least give them a chance, but it should be hard and should have a perfect timing to do so, should drain stamina like any other attacks, perhaps stagger the player for 0.2 second?

• Javelins are actually easier to parry in real life because they fly fairly slow in comparison to arrows.

The Viking sagas have examples of heros catching javelins and throwing them back at their enemies. I’ve tried this (with rubber headed javs) and it’s not that hard to do if you have time to see them coming. You step to one side and catch the shaft as it flies past. Knocking it out of the air wouldn’t be too hard.

My only issue is that shields are made even more redundant. Makes me think Spartans are going to be a fairly underplayed class.

Actually this makes parry projectiles with a weapon more useful than blocking with a shield now in some ways because a good archer will shoot the exposed legs of a shield user but someone with a weapon could probably just parry that.

• This is a great feature. Makes you feel boss.

• @SlyGoat:

@Knil:

I understood you I’m just saying parrying bullets is awesome don’t delete :P

• Only ninjas should be able to do that.

• Ninjas should be able to activate matrix mode, slow down the server to 25% while continuing to move at full speed themselves. ;)

• Just attempted to parry Yumi arrows with ninjato and cutlass. You definitely can’t do it anymore.

Shame, what an awesome feature that would be.

• parrying projectiles was AMAZING, why take it out? you should have to crouch to parry leg shots and aim your parry a bit to parry arm shots, etc

• @kwazi:

parrying projectiles was AMAZING, why take it out? you should have to crouch to parry leg shots and aim your parry a bit to parry arm shots, etc

I totally agree with this, there should be some substantional risk by facing off a Throwable weapon at mid-distance, rather than being 100% safe with your perfect timing on the parries, though you should also be very that you have to either crouch (parry down) or parry high to perfectly parry a projectile. This will give ranged weapons a option to least get you somehow.