Dual wield in general

• I’ve been briefly playing a lot as Viking since the opportunity to dual wield weapon has finally been added to the game and can be done by the Vikings, though I have noticed a couple of things about it that is positive, negative and things that are lacking (In my opinion)

First of all I love that you can choose which weapon you will wield in your main-hand and Off-hand, though after playing a bit with the console commands and ect, I noticed that when wielding Dane axe and Norse, both weapon deals the same amount of damage because it would be hard for the developers I guess to “Merge” two weapons into a dual wield, so they probably have to make extra weapon code lines with name as. aocweapon_dualwield_dane_and_norse and to do that with a lot of weapon variation, that is going to take awhile I suppose. Even Dane axe stab when wielded with Norse seems to deal a high pierce damage.

Huge advantage with shields are that each attacks from both hands are 100% identical with the exception of one being reverted, so this makes dual wielding a excellent weapon to use against shields.

I also think there should be more ‘advantage’ to dual wield rather than being able to wield two weapons, higher stamina cost for faster counter attacks perhaps?

Least make it so that you different Dual wield from Off-hand, from Shield and from Two handed to make their styles feel unique.

This should be added to Chivalry: Medieval Warfare or the potentional Chivalry: Medieval Warfare II!

• I must say that I don’t like the default stabbing attack being a double stab attack. By default you should be able to choose which weapon to stab with by either pressing the stab attack or press the stab attack and alternative attack button, the third stab combo should be a double stab like the double slash on its last combo, I think that would make much more sense.

• Combo attacks for dual wield:

Normal Slash > Alternative Slash > Double Slash
    Alternative Slash > Normal Slash > Double Slash
    Normal Overhead > Alternative Overhead > Cross Overhead?
    Alternative Overhead > Normal Overhead > Cross Overhead?
    Normal Stab > Alternative Stab? > Double Stab
    Alternative Stab? > Normal Stab > Double Stab

I would also like to add in that I think the Double attacks should do damage from both weapons, or twice damage or so.

We should have something in the game to justify IF a code is implanted to make each weapon do different damage despite being held in a dual wield, because right now. Every dual wield setup do same amount of damage.

• @wildwulfy:

I must say that I don’t like the default stabbing attack being a double stab attack. By default you should be able to choose which weapon to stab with by either pressing the stab attack or press the stab attack and alternative attack button, the third stab combo should be a double stab like the double slash on its last combo, I think that would make much more sense.

No class but the spartan can combo stabs. I think that’s what they’re going for. I don’t mind the forced double stab. Just hold one weapon if you want the single stab? I understand it’s freedom restrictive but I don’t really see a way around it. Also I like your idea of overhead doubles on the 3rd combo. They’re probably making the animations as we speak.

• I would love it if they could make 2 different weapons do different damages. The Norse sword and an axe.

• Yeah so far I’ve not really found that there’s that much benefit to dual wielding other than it looking cool.

When using 2 different weapons I would like for them to retain their independent damage/speed/reach values. Would be great to have a faster lighter weapon in one hand and a slower heavy hitter in the other that actually behave differently. I’m sure that’s probably the plan or it would be a bit pointless.

It may already be implemented like that and I just haven’t noticed in which case I think we probably need bigger differences between the available weapons. :?

• the only benefit of dualwielding i’ve seen is that its very confusign to block, if not used to blocking it. But that will quickly get old and the dualwield cunfusion will go away rendering the tiny advantage useless again :P

But it sure feels awesome xD

• Dual wield isn’t quite fully implemented. It’ll give some statistical tradeoffs and the double strike combo finisher will do more damage in the future.

• It would appear that not too many people are comboing now of late that much due to the fact most prefer to play it safe and just do a couple of strikes then prepare either a combo parry or panic parry since the 0.4 cool down to parry upon combo feint to parry manouver; though I think that comboes in general should gain more advantage, so it can still be used for a huge benefit IF done right.

That the vikings combo windup is decreased per swing attacks is a potentional idea that I think should be added by default to all weapons in Deadliest Warrior, and as for the Combo finisher that the viking dual wield has, why not give this to other weapons aswell? If you combo a attack three times, you’ll make the third a strong finisher that disallows you to carry on comboing? Would be a nice feature to make combo attacks still useful.

As for the dual wield combo finisher, how are you going to make that happend? Left hand weapon + Right hand weapon? each those values and factors of weapon difference should count, for example when you do a double stab with Dane in left and Norse in right, not to mention that there is a obvious speed difference between the one-handed swords, should that factor be counted in the double strike? should you combine their combo slash windups and make that become the windup for the double strike.

This double strike is going to require a lot of work if Torn Banner is moving to do it right, or if they decide to go cheapmode and just make it a simple code, we’ll see.

• I still combo spam but you must do it smartly by playing range or constantly target swapping so you don’t need to parry. I like the fact that there’s a couple different play styles now allowing a more defensive fighter (ie. single strikes and counter attacks, radiant is a good example of this), I play an aggressive “dancey” playstyle (I’ll attack straight away after you parry me and dance your return swing), or a body manipulating dodger like gauntlet that avoids you swings with look backs and turtles crouches. Old chivalry the only way to play was to be offensive to the nth degree always comboing then CTFP or FP if you need it, because you were safest when you were attacking.

• I will often try vancopter tactics on people. So they don’t get close. I also use swing and miss tactics with dragging.

I only go vancopter if they are some dodgy MAA or if they have low stamina. As I have plenty of stamina to waste on them. I need to be very aggressive for this to work though. Works great on people who don’t like hit trades and feint to parry. That costs them a lot of their stamina early on.

Though if it does work you end up with low stamina and lose the advantage. Its a highly agressive tactic that works well on defensive players. Not so good against balanced or other slightly less aggressive players

• @Knil:

I still combo spam but you must do it smartly by playing range or constantly target swapping so you don’t need to parry. I like the fact that there’s a couple different play styles now allowing a more defensive fighter (ie. single strikes and counter attacks, radiant is a good example of this), I play an aggressive “dancey” playstyle (I’ll attack straight away after you parry me and dance your return swing), or a body manipulating dodger like gauntlet that avoids you swings with look backs and turtles crouches. Old chivalry the only way to play was to be offensive to the nth degree always comboing then CTFP or FP if you need it, because you were safest when you were attacking.

This is true, but panic parry could still exist alongside CFTP…

Honestly, I’m having a large amount of trouble assessing the flow and feel of combat in DW because I can’t separate what feels buggy unintentionally because the cooldowns and restrictions from base Chivalry still feel that way.

• I was a proponent to have both with a bigger stamina cost on cftp compared to RP, but arguing for cftp is something that won’t be coming back unfortunately.