Ninja Class: general thoughts and discussion.

• So I was glued to playing the ninja class today.
    I am a HUGE fan of agile combat and being able to roll all over the place then spring back up with a quick slash here and a jump back–shuriken there, just made my day.

The MAA dodge is cool but being able to actually roll on the ground, making yourself a smaller target really made me feel like a skillful ninja badass (regardless of how well I was actually doing)

I loved the insta-throw shuriken!
    It never felt unfair when being used against me as it can be difficult hitting your target and it didn’t feel too powerful l when I was using them either.

The silent footsteps are going to make this class a nightmare for some players and personally I wouldn’t have it any other way seeing as how chivalry has no real stealth elements to it

Now all we need is some backflips and wallrun/jumps and this class is good to go! :jsmirk:

• I feel that while ninja is darn fun to play, it will probably bug the heck out of the same players that disliked man at arms. A good ninja will take lots of skill to defeat, but right now I feel that ninja is fine as long as 25% or less of players on a server are playing ninja.

• Very fun to play class. I noticed that the roll doesn’t make your camera in first person duck down like it used to. I miss the feeling it gave of ducking under swings.

• So the roll doesn’t allow you to move for a teensie bit after being executed but strikes and projectiles can be queued during the roll making them instant after the roll. This nuances it away from the MaA dodge and is more about dodging a specific strike and returning a hit than dodging completely out of the fray (yes I said fray). Ninja itself is great to play, bostaff needs to be a tad smaller I think but other than that, his fist fighting style is great (when it works), melee weapons are great and projectiles are super fun. Definitely maining in this character.

• I liked just rolling up to people and attacking as soon as I got out of the roll. Or throwing something.

• @High:

I feel that while ninja is darn fun to play, it will probably bug the heck out of the same players that disliked man at arms. A good ninja will take lots of skill to defeat, but right now I feel that ninja is fine as long as 25% or less of players on a server are playing ninja.

I don’t agree there. The ninja roll is nothing like the man at arms dodge in my opinion, because you can’t use it offensively. If you see someone roll from your attack you can basically just back away and he wont be able to hit you becuase he will immobile for a very slight period of time.

• maa isnt so bad in chivalry except for the infinite stamina (dodge out of stun). With that fixed or when vs ppl who actually don’t use it, they aren’t so bad.

• You can use roll offensively. You can queue up an attack. Also rolling makes you very low and you can duck attacks with it.

• @kywild:

@High:

I feel that while ninja is darn fun to play, it will probably bug the heck out of the same players that disliked man at arms. A good ninja will take lots of skill to defeat, but right now I feel that ninja is fine as long as 25% or less of players on a server are playing ninja.

I don’t agree there. The ninja roll is nothing like the man at arms dodge in my opinion, because you can’t use it offensively. If you see someone roll from your attack you can basically just back away and he wont be able to hit you becuase he will immobile for a very slight period of time.

• maa isnt so bad in chivalry except for the infinite stamina (dodge out of stun). With that fixed or when vs ppl who actually don’t use it, they aren’t so bad.

While I agree that the roll is more predictable and such, the players that have hated the men at arms for a while despite reason without actually trying to counter them will probably treat ninjas the same way. The fastest class has generally more reliable forms of defense, which seems to be what ticks off a lot of the lower levels and used to annoy me. However, I myself don’t consider the man at arms or ninja to be overpowered at the moment.

• You forgot about the amazing chicken / other animal sounds that are just hilarious!

• @Vesanus:

You forgot about the amazing chicken / other animal sounds that are just hilarious!

The chicken noise can also be used as a taunt.

• I’m not sure I’ve found roll particularly useful yet- to me it seems like I just roll almost on the spot and I’d be better off just ducking instead. :?

• How does everyone like ninja’s new tactical non-birdcall VO?

• @SlyGoat:

How does everyone like ninja’s new tactical non-birdcall VO?

As long as a chicken is the retreat sound it will be fine.

• @SlyGoat:

How does everyone like ninja’s new tactical non-birdcall VO?

I like that the ninja has puns. It’s quirky and I like it. However, I think having 1 or 2 birdcalls would be good. The ‘allclear’ noise was so good. Can’t be trumped. Retreat chicken was also tops but I can see how ninjas could just run around clucking which would piss many off. The crow sound for kill archers was also nice BUT if I were to choose, then I’d love the allclear bird call to remain (I’m sure the community would appreciate it too). It was nice.

• I noticed rolls were improved and are more dynamic and fluid in combat. Less sticky feet now, black egg still does not animate sometimes at all (not sure what’s up with that) though.

• @King:

[…]
    I loved the insta-throw shuriken!
    It never felt unfair when being used against me as it can be difficult hitting your target and it didn’t feel too powerful l when I was using them either.
    […]

I feel like the shurikens could be thrown quicker actually. I love the projectile speed/arc they have, but the delay for pulling them out seems a tad long for a ninja badass =p

• I and others have expressed some concern that the ninja is going to be fun but underpowered. Perhaps this is intentional, as the ninja (similarly to the man at arms) will be prone to being complained about.

I’d like to see him gain a little more ninja-like utility over flat damage increases or resistance or longer rolls or anything like that.

One option I thought of was to give the ninja the ability to stay on the ground after completing a roll. Similar to Eddy from Tekken. This would allow you to punish overzealous attackers, disorient opponents with side dodge, and counter one handers (hard to reach down there), as well as people attempting to sweet spot (anyone up for calling this activity “SS?”) or drag their overheads.

Another option would be to further the ninja’s effectiveness against rangers. Perhaps make his parried ranged attacks deflect into the next closest enemy for less damage (Or back at the one who fired/threw it)

Or they could have special execution maneuvers to be performed on unsuspecting enemies.

• less gimmicks, more solid melee play

• If you want to give ninjas their realistic speed and silence, they need to be 1 hitted by every weapon.
    Literally 1 shotted by everything (maybe not daggers)
    Actually, I think that would be quite interesting.
    Make them super fast and give them a faster dodge but even a saber would kill them.
    (I’m trying to make them feel like more of a difference from MaA)

• well if they made ninjas die in 1 hit i’d probably want a weapon that 3 shots every class, otherwise he’d be worthless