Comboing attacks in the same direction

• Currently I have noticed when comboing for slash to overhead or overhead to slash both attacks come from the same direction. In chivalry they would alternate giving you a good flow of right to left. Now it’s Right, Right, Left, Left. Which imo, doesn’t mesh as well and feels awkward every time I do it. Have you guys noticed this as well?

One other thing to throw in I noticed how weak stabs are in comparison to the other attacks because of how “sweetspots” work making stabs up close very weak. While the other 2 attack do not have to worry about this. I feel like a rarely use stab now except for with spear type weapons.

• Yeah I have noticed it too. It makes combat look a bit more clunky and physics defying.

And stabs are really weak. Makes the spartan weak too. The sarissa takes like 7 hits to kill with.

• @lemonater47:

Yeah I have noticed it too. It makes combat look a bit more clunky and physics defying.

And stabs are really weak. Makes the spartan weak too. The sarissa takes like 7 hits to kill with.

The stabs aren’t weak at optimum weapon range. The Sarissa, at length is pretty strong. I think this is forcing the player to use the weapon reach rather than get super power stabs at ranges which make no sense.

• Personally I like the slash->overhead combo coming from the same direction, strictly because it doubles the number of mixups you can perform to bypass a block.

Think about it - if you slash from the left and the enemy knows your next attack, whether a slash or overhad, will be coming from the right, it becomes much easier to parry it by turning in advance. If you can combo into either a left overhead or right slash, they’ll have to wait and react to the direction.

This was something only available to certain weapons with stabs that came in from a particular side before, now any weapon can do it.

I don’t know if it’s intended, however.

Re: stabs, I talked about this with Steve earlier. The only is to change how blue and green tracers work so that blue is more like red, where the entire blue zone does minimum damage - and stabs will only have green and red tracers. They’ll build up damage faster and stay at max damage longer.

I think stabs will need a tradeoff of being less capable of dragging with this implemented, however. Right now it’s actually a pretty simple thing to hit point blank red stabs by stabbing over the enemy and dragging down - which is also very useful for guaranteeing you get head damage.

• It looks like it breaks the laws of momentum. A katana is still a heavy sword at 2.5KG. And the no dachi even heavier than that.

• I have to agree that is looks “wonky” to attack from the same side twice in a row.

On slygoats point of the ability to combo in the same direction, I’ve always just combo feint attacked if I wanted to attack in the same direction twice in a row. Or not combo’d :P

• SlyGoat are you saying that you can choose to combo from either side now depending on which button you press? I can’t test right now but that would be cool if it were true.

• You can choose which side because if you slash to slash or overhead to overhead it will still alternate attacks. It attacks same side when you slash to overhead or overhead to slash.

• So you can’t slash to alt-overhead or slash to overhead depending on which button combo you press?

• @Dr:

So you can’t slash to alt-overhead or slash to overhead depending on which button combo you press?

This would be an ideal solution, imo. As long as the attack is not the same as the previous, allow it to be the next combo attack.

• @NabsterHax:

@Dr:

So you can’t slash to alt-overhead or slash to overhead depending on which button combo you press?

This would be an ideal solution, imo. As long as the attack is not the same as the previous, allow it to be the next combo attack.

This. As long as you can’t do alt-slash -> alt-slash, I think the combo system is fine. Personally, I never liked how you couldn’t choose the side you wanted your attack comes from in combos in CMW.

Say you try to do a LMB spam combo. It should alternate on its own whether you’re queuing alternate or normal slashes. Same with overheads. But, if you want to go from slash to alt-overhead, you should be able to.

• Edited for initial wrongness

In live chivalry, if I wanted to pursue their right side I had to combo into stab or use a disadvantageous angle of attack, which would be even more difficult if I wanted to pressure their right arm flank. (With the exception of the weapons that let me do this)

I prefer it this way as well. I want to be able to pressure or maintain a particular flank. This is especially important for dual wielding, IMO. The versatility of being able to suddenly engage a flank from more attack angles, i.e. a run-by alt overhead on the enemy’s left side, and then to be able to maintain that flank advantage, is more important to me than a classic left right left right flailing (though fluid) maneuver.

*Second edit

I should clarify, I would prefer the option to choose which side at any given moment, but I realize that’s a lot of animation work.