Cheater and VAC

• There was a speedhacker on an official duel server, who admitted that he cheats pretty casually. His duel stats were something like 2000 - 50. His steam profile said he is VAC-banned.
    So how can a VAC-banned cheater play on the official servers (or at all) and have more than 2000+ duels?

I can provide proof and information about him, if wanted.

Some questions I have about that topic:
    Is there some console command to gather information about players (e.g steamId) if he is not signed in to Steam friends (i.e I can’t see him in the “fellow players” tab)?
    What can (and do) you do when I deliver you a cheater with proof and steam id?

• i reported this guy two days ago via forums and contacted Kimbo today about him via steam.

That guy has a VAC ban on his account (u can see that if u look at his steam profile)
    Tbh I appreciated Kimbo replied at all. His replies where fair and to the point. In a nut shell VAC bans only work on VAC servers and any server outside that is still playable even with a ban. So…Hackers go unpunished. I have no idea how to VAC works but the simplest thing to do is If a player is cheating and banned then That game should not launch from his/her steam account anymore.

• There are many different types of VAC bans, a VAC ban for counter strike probably does not apply on chivalry

• getinfo or whois

Gives a user’s SteamID. This SteamID is in hexadecimal; if you want to convert it to a normal Base 10 number, use the Windows calculator (put it in Programmer mode, click Hex, paste in the value, and click Dec).

As for the VAC ban I believe players are only banned in the game they actually hacked on e.g. if they hack in CS they’ll be banned from CS but not other games. Assuming then at this point he’s not been picked up by VAC for chivalry (although it might be a deferred ban). The person with the ban can confirm: by going to the profile and click the “?” next to the ban message and it tells you WHICH games are affected by the ban. Unfortunately they can still play VAC multiplayer on any other game that isn’t in that list.

As for VAC enabled, why would any server choose to have VAC turned off?!? Every official and 99% of clan servers still have it enabled (I believe it’s enabled by default too and is filterable in the browser).

• VAV bans don’t tell you what game that player was banned from.

• Which is kinda dumb. Why does it not tell you? Seems like pretty important information that should be public.

• @MonkeyFiend:

getinfo or whois

Seems to work only for admins?

• @MonkeyFiend:

As for VAC enabled, why would any server choose to have VAC turned off?!?

To test cheats without getting VAC banned. And maybe to play with friends who are VAC banned.

• @Evil:

@MonkeyFiend:

To test cheats without getting VAC banned. And maybe to play with friends who are VAC banned.

Doesn’t that completely devalue the ban? :o

• @Sir:

@Evil Minion:

@MonkeyFiend:

Doesn’t that completely devalue the ban? :o

Why? Banned players still aren’t able to play on VAC enabled servers, which is where most of the community is. Why would I care if he can still play on his private server where it doesn’t affect me. If cheaters are still allowed to play I couldn’t give a damn as long as they are out of the general community.

Plus: I don’t have a problem with hacking a game in general but only if the hacks are used to cheat others.
    If I had the skills for it I could very well see the fun in setting up a VAC disabled server specificly designed to encourage hacking just to see what people can come up with. Coding can be creative fun after all. As long as everyone on the server is on the boat I see absolutely no problem there. As long as the regular community is reasonably safe from cheaters as long as they stay on VAC enabled servers (which are the majority of servers) this is absolutely fine imho.

As for OT:
    If it was an official server the VAC doesn’t seem to apply for chivalry. Better just report him over the regular ways.

• Although a somewhat harsh view I believe that once caught by VAC in one game you should lose your entire steam account.

I honestly believe is someones the sort of friendless tool to cheat in one online games, they’ll cheat in another.

An account ban would act as a deterrant for hack users and also means you could probably judge someones trustworthiness on how many games or how long they’ve had an account (so someone with 50 games who’s been on steam 7 years would be more trustworthy than a person with 1 game who’s been on one month)