My thoughts on the ranged aspect of the game

• Hello.

First of all I’d like to say I’m sorry I havent been participating as much in the testing as I would have liked to. Anyway to the subject.

I feel that the ranged aspects of the game makes the game often less enjoyable. A good example is in free for all, you get into a fight with 1-3 people and more often than not, you die from somebody who just spawned and shot you in the back, rather than from the guy(s) you are fighting. Then when you spawn, it’s natural to just pull your ranged weapon to shoot whoever is busy fighting for their lives and thus continuing the cycle. It makes it feel like a huge clusterfuck and it’s simply not fun.

In team deathmatch I have a fear that when people get slightly used to the game, you will see 2 teams just trying to shoot each other with guns, bows, crossbows until they are out of ammo and then move in to melee as a last resort, making the melee fights weak if you look at the big picture. Most people I know who like chivalry does so for the melee aspects. Many of them wouldn’t even care if they removed all ranged projectiles from the game. I’m not saying that is something that should be done, but I think restricting the ranged options a bit is not a bad idea. Either by restricting the use of other primary weapons, or by lowering the ammo count, or making ranged weapons way more inaccurate and hard to use.

Just imagine running into a 16 man team of knights with crossbows and pirates. It’s insta death. And when you’re back again they’ll be fully loaded ready for more. It just sounds incredibly hard to balance. Who will play ninja and viking under these circumstances? Probably nobody, at least not for long.

When it comes to dueling, I truly hope you are banning all ranged options from the duel mode. In a game like this, A LOT of people buy it because they enjoy the thought of dueling. You saw how popular FFA duels became in chivalry immediately when it was released, you’ve seen JK2 and Jedi Academy, you’ve seen M&B and so forth. And nobody will want to have their dueling experience ruined by geting shot in the face by a multitude of different ranged weapons. Throwing stars, shieldthrowing and stuff like that will likely also cause a mass rage if it is in the duel mode of the game.

I know this sounds like I have a hate for ranged weapons, I don’t. I just think that the ranged options should be available in moderation so it doesn’t ruin the biggest aspect of the game, the reason like 98%(?) of the players are playing, the melee combat.

I’m fine with the thought that pirates have guns for example, since they have a pretty weak melee ability. But a knight with halberd + crossbow is just disgusting with the way the crossbow is right now.

But yeah to conclude this wall of text: I’m just afraid that we will end up with a game where almost every melee fight ends up with you or your opponent geting shot. And where duels is impossible to enjoy because of ranged elements. I’m not saying you can’t duel with ranged, ofc you can. But its not what the majority of the players will be looking for, I can almost guarantee that.

Other than that I think the game is pretty damn cool. I like the classes (except pirates, sorry I just don’t feel they fit in the theme of the game) and I like the weapons and the feel of the combat. I’m having alot of fun fighting. Even with high ping making it retarded, it’s mostly really fun.

• My feelings exactly.

The ranged stuff is certainly too dominating at the moment especially the guns. Definitely finding them even more irritating now with the higher player counts.

And given the announced 64 player support I can’t imagine what hell that’s gonna be like to experience lol. :?

• Pirates: great class or greatest class?

• I agree with pretty much everything that you said.

For the pirate the gun is just too easy to use. Anyone who is half decent at fps games will have a field day with that thing. Also, 15 shots seems a little high imo, every time I play pirate ammo isnt a factor.

But, the problem here is that with TDM there is no incentive to move really. You can sit in the spawn or up a hill for the whole game at no risk. I would like to see what effect proper spawns would do to this whole situation, instead of the current system. But in general I would like to see maybe ~8-10 shots and something to bump up the melee on pirate.

And for the knight im not quite sure how many shots they have but I would say if they only had ~5 it could make the xbow more reasonable. Either that or make the xbow much more difficult to use. Im guessing that if it releases like this when a normal pub comes around sitting in the back with a xbow is going to common with the current setup, attention is needed in this area.

• I disagree completely.

The crossbow is better than the guns. Guns are inaccurate as hell.

And there needs to be ranged combat.

• @lemonater47:

I disagree completely.

The crossbow is better than the guns. Guns are inaccurate as hell.

And there needs to be ranged combat.

There’s nobody here saying there shouldn’t be ranged combat. We’re saying it’s ruining the melee aspects of the game as it is right now. And I was saying that there shouldn’t be any ranged in the DUEL mode of the game.

• Chivalry is at it’s best up close and personal, I too feel there is too much projectile spam right now.

• Guns miss a lot. You rarely hit anyone.

• I concur that ranged combat should be wholly in the background of combat, an extra option to be employed when it’s a good idea instead of spammed pre-fight or used to cheese other peoples’ fights in FFA etc. But I’m also pretty sure Pirate is Tibbs’ favorite class, so…. ;)

• @SlyGoat:

I concur that ranged combat should be wholly in the background of combat, an extra option to be employed when it’s a good idea instead of spammed pre-fight or used to cheese other peoples’ fights in FFA etc. But I’m also pretty sure Pirate is Tibbs’ favorite class, so…. ;)

Glad to hear. Tibbs oughta remember a majority of the sales of deadliest warrior will likely come from old chivalry players though (at least in the early stages of the sales curve) so I’m afraid he’ll have alot of angry chivalry fans on his hand if the game comes out too ranged oriented xD

• There is not much to do about players spawning behind and shooting you or someone else in the back on a Free for all map. Though what can be done to limit ranged weapons a little bit, would be to lower their max ammunition pool, thus they would need to find a ammo crate after a while.

I already like the fact that all projectile weapons has a certain inaccuracy whilst moving, it would forever make Projectile weapon duels more interesting.

Not much to do there.

Long live the Crossbow & Halberd setup, l o l.

• We’re remembering here that were are indeed talking about THE “Deadliest Warrior” right? Warriors with ranged abilities should be able to use them. I believe a Samurai is balanced in this way was he only has 8 shots on his Yumi bow before he can attack.

As it is, there is no real standalone archer class, so if the others want to play with range I don’t see why that is a bad idea. Sure, we all hate archers from time to time (occasional head cutting) but ranged combat is a skill that is quite useful in this game.

The blunderbuss is actually quite ineffective after a certain range, as the buckshot causes a spread. Whilst the shot may hit tertiary targets, at long range it is very useless. However in a close range situation I will agree it is rather powerful. As for the pistole, unless you are crouching and aiming down sights, it to is rather inaccurate at a certain distance, not to mention the reload time.

And someone here mentioned halberd and crossbow, that is actually one of my favourite classes! Combining alot of aspects I love (tanky knight, vanguard weapon, and archer [to a degree]). The crossbow isn’t overly OP unless you are a hawk eye and can land a head shot every time.

15 Ammunition does seem slightly excessive for these weapons, but remember they are PRIMARY weapons, NOT SECONDARIES. I would recommend the crossbow (possibly) take a reduction to 12 shots, maybe give the yumi 10 shots, reduce the blunderbuss to 8, and the pistol to 12 shots.

• I think gun reloading is too quick and picking up ammo from dead bodies is just silly and immersion breaking.

In movies pirates tend to shoot their guns once and then enter combat, maybe reloading during a lull. ATM pirates tend to just shoot guns unless you’re almost in melee range.

One thing I don’t mind about all the arrows is that it makes Spartans more kick ass because they can block a lot of arrows with their shields, especially in formation. However if guns go right through shields that seems kind of useless and will make pirates even more popular.

• @Dr:

I think gun reloading is too quick and picking up ammo from dead bodies is just silly and immersion breaking.

In movies pirates tend to shoot their guns once and then enter combat, maybe reloading during a lull. ATM pirates tend to just shoot guns unless you’re almost in melee range.

One thing I don’t mind about all the arrows is that it makes Spartans more kick ass because they can block a lot of arrows with their shields, especially in formation. However if guns go right through shields that seems kind of useless and will make pirates even more popular.

It took me 6 shots of the pistole to kill a spartan by shooting his shield each time. And 2 point blank shots on a Spartans shield with the blunderbuss.

The reload time is long enough for the target to start healing before you are ready to fire again.

This was all against stationary AI.

Though maybe the reload time should be a tad longer. Though you will have to redo the sound. I was playing in slow motion and the reload sounds are a continuos sound clip rather than in sync with each reload action.

• @lemonater47:

@Dr:

I think gun reloading is too quick and picking up ammo from dead bodies is just silly and immersion breaking.

It took me 6 shots of the pistole to kill a spartan by shooting his shield each time. And 2 point blank shots on a Spartans shield with the blunderbuss.

The reload time is long enough for the target to start healing before you are ready to fire again.

This was all against stationary AI.

Though maybe the reload time should be a tad longer. Though you will have to redo the sound. I was playing in slow motion and the reload sounds are a continuos sound clip rather than in sync with each reload action.

When I was playing as a Spartan I thought I got one shotted by the pirate, but that was probably with the blunderbuss at close range.

• Bear in mind that the pirate’s melee is pretttttttty shitty comparatively.

So in conclusion… we need ammo crates liberally sprinkled around all the maps.

• @Robeto:

The crossbow isn’t overly OP unless you are a hawk eye and can land a head shot every time

And that is exactly what any half decent archer can do. Even I am a pain in the ass to people in chivalry scrims with the crossbow even though im not even an archer! I just do it for funs on defense at times. Crossbow is just point and click, it takes no skill if you are even remotely used to FPS games because it barely has any drop and it travels really fast :P

@Roberto:

We’re remembering here that were are indeed talking about THE “Deadliest Warrior” right? Warriors with ranged abilities should be able to use them. I believe a Samurai is balanced in this way was he only has 8 shots on his Yumi bow before he can attack.

Again not saying they should remove ranged (with the exception of duels). Just saying it should be worked into the game so it doesn’t get in the way of the melee as much as it is right now.

• Respawn locations need tinkering to prevent these clusterfucks that people snipe at.

• Gotta bump this because I agree with Ky so much.

• Crossbows are more point and click than than guns are.

Guns are point and click, wait for the delay and hope it hits the guy.

Crossbows are just point and click.