Poll: Combo-feint-to-Parry

• @thomi:

his posting style might be a bit abrasive, but he’s right. it’s just a shame TBS didn’t actually listen to their balance council when it mattered.

In actuality we were called in to balance JUST the weapons

which is hilarious how TB thought they could balance anything by themselves considering they couldn’t even see the Double Axe was underpowered

do you guys remember that?
    they needed us to tell them the Dub Axe was terrible
    I can’t make this shit up

@dudeface:

What’s with all the coloured text?

I’m a colorful person

• which is hilarious how TB thought they could balance anything by themselves considering they couldn’t even see the Double Axe was underpowered

What? Really? That is so obviously underpowered I thought it was deliberate.

Also something people don’t seem to understand that a weapons range effectivly changes a weapons speed. The longer ranged the weapon is, the quicker its effective speed is. Hence why the Claymore is super duper fast. It has fast base speed and its range is long, making it effectively faster than a broadsword for instance.

• @Toll:

Like I said, I can’t make this up

Dub Axe was like that for a NINE FUCKING MONTHS
    I doubt anyone at TB balanced a single shit by themselves

• @Toll:

which is hilarious how TB thought they could balance anything by themselves considering they couldn’t even see the Double Axe was underpowered

Also something people don’t seem to understand that a weapons range effectivly changes a weapons speed. The longer ranged the weapon is, the quicker its effective speed is. Hence why the Claymore is super duper fast. It has fast base speed and its range is long, making it effectively faster than a broadsword for instance.

Erh. You realize the claymore is shorter then the great sword, right?

• Sure do. It is still long, not sure why you are mentioning greatsword?

• ok so for a recap of the most picked option what will this allow us to do?
    and what does it remove?

• @WARSAW:

ok so for a recap of the most picked option what will this allow us to do?
    and what does it remove?

takes away the current combo/recovery parries (both lovingly referred to NOW as the panic parries)

allows you to combo feint to parry, and if you parry you also have the option to riposte, and brings the old stamina values for such maneuvers.

and the comp scene, and even just pub community might just return in great numbers… would take some of them some getting used to and a little learning, but once everyone is in the meta of control vs. lack of control… would be tits again.

I think the reason that some people like the new combo/recovery parries is they like swinging 1 attack at a time… with pretty much no consequence. Men at arms are the largest culprit so i would put my money that maa are the ones that want to keep the live combo/recovery parries. The weapons are fast enough to flinch damn near anything, and if anything bad happens around them they can either dodge or use one of those parries to get out and their ripostes are fast as well. Pokes are the main attacks used by them, but basically any good maa nowadays just uses single strikes knowing there’s at least 2 security blankets behind it. 1.) the combo/recovery parry and 2.) the dodge… soo my guess is the ones that want to keep live version are maa. Possibly archers too because we know how much archers like to pokespam with shortsword, and since they’re mostly shooting at you from 35 feet away, why would they care about cftp?

• @CRUSHED:

@Xylvion:

Keep it the way it is now. A move that allows you to make up for any mistake is ridicolous and shouldn’t be in the game.

Except that panic parry is literally a move to make up for mistakes, just alot easier then CftP and every noobie can do it by just mashing right mouse button after a miss without even knowing the mechanics.

@Knil:

Spamming attacks IE combo spamming without thought it not skillful, if you are going to miss then don’t combo. The current system helps add a reason to not always combo, prepatch there was no reason not to besides having zero stamina. Attacking prepatch was the more defensive option, because you bypassed recovery. You must attack to be defensive. How does that make sense?

Well the current system pretty much is a “1 attack dont combo” meta, especially looking at the viable competitive weapons. I dont know if thats any better, especially coupled with how broken man at arms is right now and how many weapons are total crap because of this change.

I always thought it was skillfull to 1vN while having to combo feint parry and aim your parries to survive. The current system is harder, but not because people got better or something like that, but because the game restricts you now artificially.

I dont know whats skillfull about panic parry. Nothing.

All of this. Panic parry requires nothing but a right click, whereas CftP requires advanced planning and timing. Much more skillful. The current mechanics are so bad it is hard to enjoy the game much anymore.

• recovery/combo parry is also bad in group fighting in 1vN situation because typically a good fighter would in those situations counter into someone that is in windup, or combo switch between people missing their attacks. Even if someone around you misses an attack, this blanket combo parry covers up the tears of their mistake. Cftp at least had a window in which you can punish strikes, combo parry has no window, and that’s why it looks like the animations basically run together, because they do.

If you realize that you’re going to hit trade with someone, currently you can feint to parry to control this. However, if you are surrounded by multiple opponents, and you combo and turn into someone behind you but you see you will hit trade, you can no longer feint to parry out of that and make the decision instead to defend yourself and not take the trade… this is the control that is lost and it makes no sense that you can make a decision to not take a trade on a 1 strike attack, but not a combo attack… yet you can still combo feint to attack with no delay between the feint and attack.

Took fast decision making out of the game, added more lockouts like sprint lockout, although that doesn’t seem to exist at all for vanguards of course. anyone i’m getting aside from the point.

The recovery/combo parry were put there to help new players not suck so bad, but it doesn’t seem like most of them stuck around did it? So why not just give the remaining veterans and players what they want? Who knows, it may even spark some interest back, the people that played after the patch have no idea what the game was before, they ahve nothing to compare it to, they feel like they like it the way it is now… but how do they know?

Most of the community is all getting around to the same skill ceiling now, people that have played a while. There needs to be some added variety to add to the ceiling of outwitting your opponents.

• Global Moderator

Don’t make the silly mistake of attacking in the first place.

The ability to magically make your weapon become weightless shouldn’t be in the game. It was a horrible tactic which I just refused to use but had to when some other guy did it. Spamming right click and swinging widely with no punishment. Button mashing is not great gameplay.

And have none of you duelled another combo feinter? It was whoever ran out of stamina first loses.

• @lemonater47:

Don’t make the silly mistake of attacking in the first place.

The ability to magically make your weapon become weightless shouldn’t be in the game. It was a horrible tactic which I just refused to use but had to when some other guy did it. Spamming right click and swinging widely with no punishment. Button mashing is not great gameplay.

And have none of you duelled another combo feinter? It was whoever ran out of stamina first loses.

so now it’s … NOT… whoever loses stamina first loses?

and are you referring to dragging with the “weightless” comment… please don’t make me laugh lemon. If you haven’t learned that dragging is totally defendable idk what to tell you by now, you’d be in my book a lost cause. And then… if you take away feinting and also dragging… then what? stamina battles? parry counter till christmas? What? How do you get around a parry then?

• @lemonater47:

The ability to magically make your weapon become weightless shouldn’t be in the game.

There shouldn’t be a magical forcefield pushing people out of fisting range but there is.
    Pebbles shouldn’t explode heads but they do.
    A volcano doesn’t make for good real estate but the Red & Grey seem to differ.

The problem of it looking wonky could’ve been fixed with animation work but that doesn’t seem to be in their interest as the “panic parry” animation looks bad as well.

As a gameplay mechanic it was fine. Yes, it encouraged the offensive more than the defensive but I don’t find that to be a negative. It made combat faster paced and actually allowed for skilled players to fight when outnumbered.
    The removal of it only diminished higher level play, skilled players still completely destroy in public servers.

• thanks Clayton,
    yeah this should be a no brainer for torn banner, def bring back the old values cause the game was may more intense and actually sumwhat playable then, and actually required some skill, and a good player wasnt flinched to death in groups like Alyx said or raped by ridicolous stam drains.

cause what we are playing now just isnt acceptable, no iff and’s or but’s about it!.
    current build is garbage and somthing has to be done before we drop below 1% of the player base.

as we have seen, nerfing a game till broken isnt the best solution, as i stated about 472 times out of my 500 somthing posts lol

anyway lets hope this gets worked back in, i miss the days where this was fun and sumwhat of a challange,no one likes getn random stunn dazed and killed by noobs because of vicious flaws in this games combat system and ridicolous stam drains.

and feinting would be an issue if every animation in this game didnt have to fully play out before you can do a new one, for instance if you could block again before your parry animation finished its parry down animation then feints would be obsolete.

you could still use the heck out of them but i bet it would eliminate all the whining if they werent forced to have a wonky animation play their block out leaving you the opening because of shotty animation timing and overlay values. just a thought not a sermon.

torn banner is so fond of punishments in this game its realy quite bizar really, in every other game out there my punishment is you killing me or hitting me, this game you get punished for dam near everything, and rewarded for nothing, heck your achiements and unlocks dont even work, and thats serious you dont delay fixes kinda stuff!
    well the joke is on them cause only real thing getting punished is their reputation of a capable studio that makes good games.

hate on my ideas and suggestions all you want but proof is in the pudding guys, i have over 200 regulars a week still playing on my server, i do know what epic fun gameplay is,even if nerfed down to only 4 mods from 250 of them.

• it would suck for the game to die out completely, hell in north america my favorite game mode TO… typically doesn’t open up until about 1pm :(

until then i suppose i could play… FFA… BLEH!

• Global Moderator

You guys are talking about wanting a challenge yet combo feint parry makes things easier.

Make up your bloody minds.

• yes, smooth gameplay is what we want.

not wonky, slowed down, bug infested, molasis nerf fest with ridicolous stam drains and countless un needed delays.

thanks Clayton,
    yeah this should be a no brainer for torn banner, def bring back the old values cause the game was may more intense and actually sumwhat playable then, and actually required some skill, and a good player wasnt flinched to death in groups like Alyx said or raped by ridicolous stam drains.

cause what we are playing now just isnt acceptable, no iff and’s or but’s about it!.
    current build is garbage and somthing has to be done before we drop below 1% of the player base.

as we have seen, nerfing a game till broken isnt the best solution, as i stated about 472 times out of my 500 somthing posts lol

anyway lets hope this gets worked back in, i miss the days where this was fun and sumwhat of a challange,no one likes getn random stunn dazed and killed by noobs because of vicious flaws in this games combat system and ridicolous stam drains.

and feinting would be an issue if every animation in this game didnt have to fully play out before you can do a new one, for instance if you could block again before your parry animation finished its parry down animation then feints would be obsolete.

you could still use the heck out of them but i bet it would eliminate all the whining if they werent forced to have a wonky animation play their block out leaving you the opening because of shotty animation timing and overlay values. just a thought not a sermon.

torn banner is so fond of punishments in this game its realy quite bizar really, in every other game out there my punishment is you killing me or hitting me, this game you get punished for dam near everything, and rewarded for nothing, heck your achiements and unlocks dont even work, and thats serious you dont delay fixes kinda stuff!
    well the joke is on them cause only real thing getting punished is their reputation of a capable studio that makes good games.

hate on my ideas and suggestions all you want but proof is in the pudding guys, i have over 200 regulars a week still playing on my server, i do know what epic fun gameplay is,even if nerfed down to only 4 mods from 250 of them.

• Global Moderator

22 minutes between a double post there WARSAW

Gotta be a record.

• what we want does not make the game easier… cftp establishes the same thing as what recovery parry does… NOT combo parry. Combo feint to parry doesn’t even act as fast as the combo parry does, and all you ahve to do to combo parry is click the right mouse button.

To combo feint to parry you must 1.) do another attack whether it be slash, overhead, or poke, 2.) feint 3.) parry.

So combo parry = 1 button click

combo feint to parry = 3 button presses

which one is easier again?

ability to riposte you say? well when you combo or recovery parry no you cannot riposte… HOWEVER, that doesn’t matter because you still have initiative… and that little delay allows you to basically mind feint your opponent… it also doesn’t cost as much stamina as CFTP does… it may have directly after the patch, but i’m pretty sure you can get away with AT LEAST 5 recovery/combo parries… whereas CFTP i believe you could only do 3.

so now i’m giving you relevant information… please rebut that lemon… please. Tell me why combo/recovery parries are better, or more ‘skilled’.

• lemon it isnt a double post, and the only record is how ignorant some people are on here.

game is literally dead with 585 players other day yet nothing is being done, you cant spin a positive out of that no matter how many bs lies you coat it in or how you spin it, thats less then 1%.
    but hey why dont you nerf somemore stuff maybe that run the remaining 600 ppl off too.

you and clayton had posted while i wrote that so not wanting to be left out i bumped it, and not that theres a dev in their team smart enough to listen to any of us anyway but hey, cant hurt to try right?

• i’m still waiting btw lemon… ;)