Balance Thread

• I figured we should start one of these to make sure we can get DW as a balance as possible for whenever release occurs.

I’m going to be using a tier system and feel for weapons because unfortunately now we don’t have the numbers on weapons stats. I’m going to be use the Katana as the base weapon I’m basing all my balancing changes.

Also I’m not going to be discussing thrusting based weapons yet, because of the upcoming changes to how stab tracers are done.

OP:
    Hammer - captain obvious they call me.

Slight OP:
    Nodachi - for it’s length it’s damage or speed is too strong in comparison to the rest of the weapons.

Just Right:
    Xiphos - this is another good example of a well balanced weapon.

Slight UP:
    Longsword - could do with a slight damage boost. Maybe the stab changes will help this weapon?
    Naginata - Even tho it was sped up recently I still feel it can’t compete with the other samurai weapons.
    Norse Sword - in dual-wield this weapon feels all around weaker than dane axe.

UP:
    Claws - It’s slow, short, and does crap damage. Do I say more :)
    Hatchet - super short weapons just like in chivalry are very weak after the bubble changes.
    Prison shank - same as hatchet but even worse damage.

The weapons not listed I either think are fine or don’t really have an opinion on them (or the are WIP).

Also I think it would help streamline the control scheme by putting all throwable on MMB, I understand in certain situations you can have more than one thing to throw at once, but it should cycle down the list at the very least.

• “Proper” balance has only really been done on Samurai and Spartan, for the PAX build. I just recently updated Samurai, Spartan and Knight numbers - we’ll be testing specific samurai/spartan/knight vs. samurai/spartan/knight scenarios next week, so balance feedback will be highly appreciated then. Right now it’s not really worth talking about viking, ninja or pirate, they aren’t even feature complete.

• Well in that case it’s hard to judge Spartan until thrust tracers are adjusted as has been discussed, as most of their weapons are spears.

• I’d like to see the Yumi bow have a little more ammo and maybe do slightly more damage, pure ranged combat should be an option too! D:

• Fair enough I’ll update this thread then.

• @Dr:

Well in that case it’s hard to judge Spartan until thrust tracers are adjusted as has been discussed, as most of their weapons are spears.

That should be happening this week too.

@Planetus:

I’d like to see the Yumi bow have a little more ammo and maybe do slightly more damage, pure ranged combat should be an option too! D:

There was an idea discussed where if you select Yumi as your primary you have the option to take extra ammo as a secondary, foregoing a melee weapon entirely.

• When do we get to form a balance council?

• @Planetus:

I’d like to see the Yumi bow have a little more ammo and maybe do slightly more damage, pure ranged combat should be an option too! D:

There was an idea discussed where if you select Yumi as your primary you have the option to take extra ammo as a secondary, foregoing a melee weapon entirely.

No melee? Wut? I reckon the double bow option should give you the wakazakka (whatever the short one is called). No melee is ridiculous methinks. Imagine playing an archer without a dagger or short wep. No defence other than fists and those don’t fare so well.

• @Footbeard:

@Planetus:

No melee? Wut? I reckon the double bow option should give you the wakazakka (whatever the short one is called). No melee is ridiculous methinks. Imagine playing an archer without a dagger or short wep. No defence other than fists and those don’t fare so well.

Well there’s always fists right? ;)

• @dudeface:

When do we get to form a balance council?

When the Chivalry community grows up.

• The option to get more ammunition is a pretty risky Trade-off, as it leaves you to fight with your fists if you are forced in a melee fight, I think that risk has some potentional to differ from 100% melee, 100 Ranged and hybrid setups. Like if you purely want to be Ranging, you could make your Primary and Secondary your ranged weapons, though I think there should be like this Dagger or small weapon they can use to atleast attack and parry like normal.

• OP:
    Bo Staff
    Yari Spear
    That hammer thing

Slightly OP:
    Kanabo
    Crossbow for one-shot on Ninja? Not sure on that otherwise seems like too much ammo

Fine:
    No-Dachi
    Katana
    Naginata
    Wakizashi
    Dane
    Pole Axe
    Halberd
    Morningstar
    Spartan weapons

Slightly UP:
    Longsword
    Yumi Bow
    Ninjato
    Norse

UP:
    Claws
    Dagger
    Sickle
    Hatchet

Couldn’t play Pirate, so dunno for those weapons. What did I forget?

In general: Animations for Samurai and Ninja seem a little wonky, which contributes to overall weapon balance, while the Spartan shield+secondary combo into overhead starts as a sword attack and then just becomes a shield bash, not sure if that’s intended. Knight in general feels pretty meh, though Poleaxe is as good as ever. It doesn’t feel completely broken and is quite a lot of fun though =]

• As a samurai I felt pretty violated having to face an army of knights armed with halberds and crossbows.

Next round I joined knights. Knights are UP. Buff plz.

• @dudeface:

As a samurai I felt pretty violated having to face an army of knights armed with halberds and crossbows.

Next round I joined knights. Knights are UP. Buff plz.

Knights seem to be able to take a ton of hits, but don’t have very much offensive power.

• Seems to me that knights with xbows are super OP. Samurai cant really moving around once they get into a fight (locked in slow movement idk why) which really reduces their fighting ability. The pirates guns seem op. Ninjas seem fine atm, but their rolls could go a little further to make them more effective.

• @TheSwordOfTheMorning:

Seems to me that knights with xbows are super OP. Samurai cant really moving around once they get into a fight (locked in slow movement idk why) which really reduces their fighting ability. The pirates guns seem op. Ninjas seem fine atm, but their rolls could go a little further to make them more effective.

Pirate’s rifle is very far from OP. crouching down at facehug range and shooting at the head of your enemy still has a good chance to miss entirely. It’s basically a luckshot.

• @TheSwordOfTheMorning:

Seems to me that knights with xbows are super OP. Samurai cant really moving around once they get into a fight (locked in slow movement idk why) which really reduces their fighting ability. The pirates guns seem op. Ninjas seem fine atm, but their rolls could go a little further to make them more effective.

How do you figure Samurai are slow? They can avoid attacks the best out of the classes in my experience, since all you have to do is aim low to hit a ninja roll.

• @Event:

@TheSwordOfTheMorning:

Pirate’s rifle is very far from OP. crouching down at facehug range and shooting at the head of your enemy still has a good chance to miss entirely. It’s basically a luckshot.

I was playing around with the guns in slow motion 10% speed. And its inaccurate and the spread of all the rounds are random. I managed to miss a stationary target in training from close range aiming at his chest. And those pellets don’t do much damage at all individually. Also pistole does the same amount of damage as the dory throw

• Mod

@Planetus:

• I’m waiting till things are fleshed out a bit more and I’ve poured maybe 15-ish more hours or so into playing/testing.

I do wish I had a spreadsheet available, but I realize some things are a WIP and there may be some backlash and redundancy to releasing a spreadsheet that will surely contain some jaw dropping data privy to change.