Game is dying

• Less 1k concurrent. For a game less than a year old with over a million sales that’s a sad number and a testament to why u address bugs quickly.

• Indeed.

I am ashamed at the slow pace of bug fixes for this game.

• To be fair, I thought TBS was doing quite a good job all the way up until they announced Deadliest Warrior. Now they’ve went dark, offering no communication to their community so a bunch of people just said, “eff this, I’m out.” Can you blame them?

Customization was a cool update until we realized how many bugs they introduced and even then it was still okay until we found out they were going to take nearly a month to put fixes into the beta to address what they broke. Even before they moved into the covetous office they were quicker at addressing issues like these. Top that off with unnecessary additions accompanying the paltry few bugfixes that took a month to only make it to the beta, such as the completely unnecessary crosshair mechanic and ruined Agatha customization colors. It became clear they shifting focus to the yet-to-be-released Deadliest Warrior going full steam whilst leaving our cherished MW in the dust.

• The reason for this is the july patch that ruined the game for alot of people because the game became more simple, dumbed down and clunky and sluggish. I don’t understand why TB just cant get their stuff together, redo the whole balance council thing with competent competitive players and LISTEN TO THEM and release a patch that fixes this beautiful game.

After the patch, was the sale, and there were alot of chivalry players, but the majority of these players were the “2$ sale 1 month” players, means most of them quitted 1-3 months after the patch as we see by now.

Less daily players then prepatch, less active competitive scene, less active forums etc. It’s really showing by now. I mean entire Clans and famous chiv youtubers have stopped playing simply because of the direction they went with the patch.

1.2 million copies sold, game isnt even a year old and so low playercount. Isn’t that enough of a sign for TBS?

• This is gonna be an unpopular opinion.

Before I get into it I will say that I fully agree that the game is dumbed down and that this lead to the slow decay of Chivalry’s population. Around the time the patch was released and the sales numbers spiked, I think a lot of people knew it would only be temporary progress.

I think the way Chivalry would have stayed active was through the awesome competitive scene. For me I was mostly playing casually, until I saw the amazing things that some players were able to do. I think this happens with any game or sport. People are drawn in by the best players abilities, and the amazing feats they are able to accomplish. This combined with Chivalry’s unique game play could have gone a long way. I even bought the game twice.

I think dumbing down the game showed a lack of confidence from TBS. They chose to alienate the hardcore, in order to get a quick buck. While not believing they had all that great of a product to compete with the more massive known games out there. It seems that they just didn’t truly believe they would be the next Minecraft etc.

In TBS defense, I point to the first official tournament before the bubble patch. I don’t think the competitive community helped at all with TBS confidence. The tournament which had some amazing players and teams in it, was plagued by cheating and bad sportsmanship. This happens in a ton of other mediums, but for a small game with a growing community the way teams acted were not good for the game/sport. Why reverse the dumbed down decisions, which grants quick cash, for a hardcore scene that can’t get their act together.

Now I know the patch was being rolled out regardless of the tournaments success. But I feel that was a missed opportunity to show why the game did not need a drastic change to its core mechanics. That the competitive scene could act as a type of marketing tool to garner more sales. It is difficult to face scrutiny and reverse a major decision. When the last memory TBS has is a tournament plagued with controversy instead of love for the game.

• I can’t blame the people for quitting. I guess we all should do to give TBS a sign. A hint. So they see that the lack of communication between tbs and the community that is there since the announcement on DW is really a big problem.

But… I won’t. Sorry guys. At the weekend, or maybe even over the week, if I have time, I’ll be playing C:MW.
    I love it and will continue playing it. Even though there are things in the game that bother me.

• So competitive players really make little difference to the overall online players, they represent about 2% of players.

Dying is perhaps overkill. Declining is more accurate.

Why is it declining - content, content, content. Bug fixes will have little effect. Most people want more TO maps to have fun in and sure the SDK will provide that. But the SDK as a production ready module has been delayed and so the numbers are dropping.

To be fair most of the players are back in school so there will be a drop regardless.

DW will increase the number of players, especially if they are forced to purchase CMW. Just how many is a complete unknown, I think it totally depends on how much Spike TV and associates will spend on advertising - marketing is everything.

At the lowest point early this year while they moved office was 1300 peak. Todays peek is 1600 but over the weekend it was over 2000.

TBS is not really taking suggestions but if they were smart they would do the TO map SDK competition lemon suggested. This would have multiple effects

• invigorate the community to produce SDK maps
    • give the community some fun in Beta testing the submissions
    • show they actually care about TO maps since they were skipped in DW
    • when SDK is production ready there will be more maps than the relatively few that people have created

Alternatively they can say that CMW is no longer a Cash Cow and is now a Falling Star and move on to DW.

• The game is not dying. It is hibernating.

Chivalry: Deadliest Warrior will reinvigorate the community and likely bring some new blood. And I’m sure TBS will be able to focus on addressing the bugs once the expansion is out.

• @Sir:

The game is not dying. It is hibernating.

Chivalry: Deadliest Warrior will reinvigorate the community and likely bring some new blood. And I’m sure TBS will be able to focus on addressing the bugs once the expansion is out.

No it wont because ppl wont spend money on a product they no longer have any faith in. Thats why buggs need to be addressed asap.

• Deadliest warrior seems like the biggest joke of all time. Lets be honest.

Its crazy how they are already releasing another game without finishing the first one, and from what Ive read from the devs, they are likely to stop supporting CMW when they release this crappy expansion

• @Najo:

Less 1k concurrent. For a game less than a year old with over a million sales that’s a sad number and a testament to why u address bugs quickly.

1,181 in-game right now. I imagine the number is higher on weekends. It would be interesting to see some actual statistics about unique users playing on monthly basis. Without seeing those numbers, I’m not convinced the situation is as dire as you make it sound.

@Dan766:

Its crazy how they are already releasing another game without finishing the first one, and from what Ive read from the devs, they are likely to stop supporting CMW when they release this crappy expansion

It is an expansion, which implies that it will require the original to play, which implies that CMW will be supported after CDW is released.

Edit: I looked it up for you. Chivalry: Medieval Warfare is currently 59th on Steam’s list of top 100 games by current player count.

• only thing i’ve noticed is that in the morning i can’t find any servers to play on, there’s probably like 3-4 populated and it’s usually FFA which i don’t like playing much. The other servers that are populated though means that there are like 1-3 people in them trying to get it started. Since i’m in NA, i can see during htat time european servers if i up my ping limit, or some other aussie or german servers, etc… but to play on a decent ping up until about 11-11:30AM, i can’t find 1 TO match, or anyone dueling or anything.

At least the NA scene seems to be dwindling down, there’s still a lot that play during peak hours though so i don’t think it’s totally dying. Even with all the bugs, people can’t resist playing the game, i know i can’t.

And as far as deadliest warrior (to najo) i think people will buy it. You’re underestimating people’s love for shiny new things.

• @CRUSHED:

The reason for this is the july patch that ruined the game for alot of people because the game became more simple

you are totally wrong. the reason is that a small company like torn banner does not have endless money for advertisment and the price for this fungame is a bit too high. another reason is that casual players (and thats the mass) want to win in these games and not get owned all the time by very good players.
    if torn banner announces a few tourneys with pricemoney the game will slowly increase in playernumbers.

personally i think the time is over where you have to buy games. the model doesnt work anymore. there are so many free games to play that nobody is willing to buy games like chivalry. the game should be free to play and you should be able to buy skins for models or weapons ingame like dota, LoL and CS:GO

• no colonel sanders YOU’RE WRONG! Mama’s right!

• Yeah, micro transaction model is better imho, especially for niche game like chivalry.

But I do not think it is bad marketing or anything. It is state of the game. Lack of content, awesome number of bugs and imbalances.

Look at the history of Counter Strike. It wasn’t advertised at the start at all and yet it BOOMed. It was new, it was free, it was in majority bug free. Patches and balances went in and made game even better. New maps arrived. People got hooked and had content to play with.

Chiv is lacking in all of that.

• @Sir:

The game is not dying. It is hibernating.

I have no real knowledge about that, but to me DW looks like a standalone game. And no, they won’t fix anything for CMW anymore, because DW will introduce a gazillion new bugs.

• Personally, DW seems kinda interesting, not full price interesting mind you, but like… dollar sale price interesting.

Boy I love steam. Sorry TB STEP YER GAME UP.

• Every time I come back to Chivalry the state of the game seems to be “some old problems and some new ones”. It’s been a year and the game still feels very crude. The booming sales from Steam promotions and viral advertising haven’t produced a lasting playerbase and it’s too easy to blame the unsatisfactory patching. Clearly Chivalry is slightly more niche than the average first-person multiplayer game, but it attracted so many people initially, couldn’t it have kept some of them?
    It’s hard to say what’s making more people lose interest, the unusual genre or poor game polish.

I think it’s the fate of any enterprising developer’s flagship franchise to turn into the likes of Killing Floor or TF2 eventually, but Chivalry’s transition from cashcow milking to dead horse beating is happening faster than it deserves.

Also, I thought Deadly Warrior was going to be a freely available mod. Not sure how I feel about a priced standalone and how it might affect the game I care about, but let’s wait and see.

• I think it’s a combination of things:

1- Content
    People get bored playing the same game, especially maps. I think that TB should have focussed on either new maps and content or releasing the SDK to live earlier, probably releasing that before before the customisation patch. Maps, weapons, game modes (particularly something completely new like co-op survival mode or persistent world type thing) anything to keep the game fresh.

2- Bugs
    I dislike TB bashing as I really don’t think it helps at all but of course fixing bugs would help.

3- Customisation
    I didn’t realise it at the time but from what I heard from a server admin in Australia the servers lost something like 30% population overnight after customisation. I’m not sure why, it must have been difficult for casuals to adapt to the changes and all the TKing that went on that first night. I doubt those people would have stayed long if that was the case but an option to disable customisation at the client side would have gone a long way.

4- Hotfixes
    Where are they? I understand TB don’t want to hotfix one bug in case they introduce another but the truth is not enough people test the beta for the current model to work. I think it’s better just to hotfix bugs/exploits/problems as they occur and then throw out another hotfix for any bugs that they introduce. It’s a little messy but the only way I can see to do it.

5- Balance
    This is fairly low down on my list because I don’t think it actually changes server population that much. It’s almost impossible to be objective about balance and you will never please all of the people all of the time. My main issue is that weapons like the flail that were introduced as new content have never really been worth using because they are so chronically underpowered.

6- Natural Decline
    The game is almost a year old, it is an indie game with somewhat limited resources, of course player numbers will drop. New games come out and people move on. It happens to all games. How many people have just bought GTA V and are playing that instead of CMW? It particularly happens to games that require a high level of skill especially if there’s not a lot of separation between n00bs and pros on pubs.

• @Sidewinder:

To be fair, I thought TBS was doing quite a good job all the way up until they announced Deadliest Warrior. Now they’ve went dark, offering no communication to their community so a bunch of people just said, “eff this, I’m out.” Can you blame them?

Customization was a cool update until we realized how many bugs they introduced and even then it was still okay until we found out they were going to take nearly a month to put fixes into the beta to address what they broke. Even before they moved into the covetous office they were quicker at addressing issues like these. Top that off with unnecessary additions accompanying the paltry few bugfixes that took a month to only make it to the beta, such as the completely unnecessary crosshair mechanic and ruined Agatha customization colors. It became clear they shifting focus to the yet-to-be-released Deadliest Warrior going full steam whilst leaving our cherished MW in the dust.

this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this