Just a thought for Classic Duelers and randoming

• Hey guys :)

I spend about 75% of my playtime on classic duel servers. It’s just plain fun. There are, of course, those less than desirable players who enjoy balantly killing (randoming as it’s called) duelers without properly engaging them. This almost every time leads to an instant vote kick for that player.

Seems fair right?

Not exactly. I’ve noticed that more than half of randomers are very low (usually lower than 10) ranks. Most of the time, they don’t even understand why they’re being votekicked. They just saw an FFA server, joined, and went to town. Yes, I know trolls will attempt to play dumb, and I’m not referring to them.

“But it clearly says it in the server name.” I’ve used this argument many times out of frustration. But when you think about it, a complete noob has no idea what “classic duels” or “duel only” means. Yes, one could argue that a noob could always ask, but we’re talking about a noob here - someone who just picked up the game and is itching to hack off some limbs.

I’ve made a habit of explaining classic duel rules ONCE when I see someone random (if they’re low rank). I simply state “Hey -name of randomer- this is a classic duel server. Please press C or bow to engage a duel. Thanks buddy.” or something to that effect. Surprisingly, most of the time I get a “oh, I had no idea” followed by complete cooperation the rest of the game.

Just a thought for my fellow duelers who tend to be a little quick on the votekick :) And don’t get me wrong, I’ve done it too.

• TLDR:

Game needs a jail so that newbies can be stopped from attacking legit players and can have the rules explained to them without them being kicked and learning nothing.

OK.

• “Hey -name of randomer- this is a classic duel server. Please press C or bow to engage a duel. Thanks buddy.”

I feel like it would be a brilliant idea if everyone keybound this^

• @?B:

“Hey -name of randomer- this is a classic duel server. Please press C or bow to engage a duel. Thanks buddy.”

Only works if they can read English lol

• When I am policing our MoR Old Duel server, I kick only if person is not reading chat or reacting to ppl trying to stop him. Even then I give him an explanation. I am constantly reminding guys that this is duel server and I’m canceling vote kicks if person apologized and acknowledged that this is a duel server.
    I also ban morons that go back after being kicked and continue to play FFA.

It is annoying but worth the effort, classic duel is my favorite type of play. ;)

• @?B:

“Hey -name of randomer- this is a classic duel server. Please press C or bow to engage a duel. Thanks buddy.”

Good idea. I’ma do that next time I log on :)

• @Ciastooh:

When I am policing our MoR Old Duel server, I kick only if person is not reading chat or reacting to ppl trying to stop him. Even then I give him an explanation. I am constantly reminding guys that this is duel server and I’m canceling vote kicks if person apologized and acknowledged that this is a duel server.
    I also ban morons that go back after being kicked and continue to play FFA.

It is annoying but worth the effort, classic duel is my favorite type of play. ;)

That’s really cool of you to cancel the kicks if they apologize. I feel like people are just a bit too eager when they feel they’ve been dealt some injustice. I like the sound of the way you run things. Is your server U.S.?

• Unfortunately nope. Europe. Poland to be precise. :)

• @lejosh:

Hey guys :)

I spend about 75% of my playtime on classic duel servers. It’s just plain fun. There are, of course, those less than desirable players who enjoy balantly killing (randoming as it’s called) duelers without properly engaging them. This almost every time leads to an instant vote kick for that player.

Seems fair right?

Not exactly. I’ve noticed that more than half of randomers are very low (usually lower than 10) ranks. Most of the time, they don’t even understand why they’re being votekicked. They just saw an FFA server, joined, and went to town. Yes, I know trolls will attempt to play dumb, and I’m not referring to them.

“But it clearly says it in the server name.” I’ve used this argument many times out of frustration. But when you think about it, a complete noob has no idea what “classic duels” or “duel only” means. Yes, one could argue that a noob could always ask, but we’re talking about a noob here - someone who just picked up the game and is itching to hack off some limbs.

I’ve made a habit of explaining classic duel rules ONCE when I see someone random (if they’re low rank). I simply state “Hey -name of randomer- this is a classic duel server. Please press C or bow to engage a duel. Thanks buddy.” or something to that effect. Surprisingly, most of the time I get a “oh, I had no idea” followed by complete cooperation the rest of the game.

Just a thought for my fellow duelers who tend to be a little quick on the votekick :) And don’t get me wrong, I’ve done it too.

I try that, too. Usually they ignore it and keep randoming until they get kicked. Funny thing is: As soon as the kick vote starts they ask: “WHY?!” Looks like they don’t even read the chat until something happens.

• Seems to me newbies are so excited/overwhelmed/daft that they honestly don’t read the chat until they get a votekick against them (if even then). And then sometimes they’re like, “oh, sorry” but it’s too late.

A classic duel mod will, of course, solve these problems. Some day.

• @dudeface:

Seems to me newbies are so excited/overwhelmed/daft that they honestly don’t read the chat until they get a votekick against them (if even then). And then sometimes they’re like, “oh, sorry” but it’s too late.

A classic duel mod will, of course, solve these problems. Some day.

I guess you’re right. And yes, a classic duel mod would.
    Isn’t hat already in promod?
    I’d love to see that in normal chivalry.

• Just add a password to the server and write the password in the name of the server. For some reason this works lol

• @afiNity:

Just add a password to the server and write the password in the name of the server. For some reason this works lol

Yeah. I was on a server like that. That was nice.
    The people are forced to read the servername to get into the server.

What also could help would be some kind of pop-up window, each player who just joined the server gets. And every server administrator can write his own text in it. Like serverrules and stuff.
    That’d be awesome!

• @Peter:

@afiNity:

Just add a password to the server and write the password in the name of the server. For some reason this works lol

Yeah. I was on a server like that. That was nice.
    The people are forced to read the servername to get into the server.

Well yes, but the more interesting fact is that noobs just don’t join… I know it from my previous game where all “public” pug servers had the password “pug” and also had it in the servername and for some reason it kept noobs from joining. I think because casuals don’t want to bother with passwords and don’t even try (or even hide passworded servers).

• I find it hilarious and a testament to TBS’s incompetence that NabsterHax has made a better duel mode than TBS.

• @afiNity:

Well yes, but the more interesting fact is that noobs just don’t join… I know it from my previous game where all “public” pug servers had the password “pug” and also had it in the servername and for some reason it kept noobs from joining. I think because casuals don’t want to bother with passwords and don’t even try (or even hide passworded servers).

That’s true. When I was new, I chose the option to hide password servers.
    Now I only hide servers that show a 100+ ping.
    I just wish there’d be more servers like that in the EU. The only one I knew was the Viking duel server. But they removed the password. At least it was removed last time I played.

• @Peter:

What also could help would be some kind of pop-up window, each player who just joined the server gets. And every server administrator can write his own text in it. Like serverrules and stuff.
    That’d be awesome!

This is a good idea. And just like a Terms of Use window, players could be required to click an acknowledgement button.

• @Alyx:

I find it hilarious and a testament to TBS’s incompetence that NabsterHax has made a better duel mode than TBS.

This.

• @Daiyuki:

@Alyx:

I find it hilarious and a testament to TBS’s incompetence that NabsterHax has made a better duel mode than TBS.

This.

Well, let’s be fair here- they’ve made it really clear without words that they really don’t care about duel mode. I think we’re at fault here for continuing to believe :).

If Deadly Warrior is released and is an awesome product beyond any criticism I can almost guarantee duel mode will suck. And if duel mode in DW is awesome I’m going to be really pissed. Kind of a double standard, really.

• the way promod did it was best.

bowing at opponent initiates duel request

bowing back confirms and allows you to hit each other

no damage will be done to anyone who does not accept.

Boom… was a great idea… if only this was in live version, would never have issues.