No structure to medieval combat

• We need real structure in this game, like real battles.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIaHeK9f3YY

• As a reenactor I agree with you, but these aren’t real battles. Where’s the shield walls? Where’s the unit cohesion, the formations?

• @Dr:

As a reenactor I agree with you, but they aren’t real battles. Where’s the shield walls? Where’s the unit cohesion, the formations?

Hahaha yeah, I posted this video to show just how similar that combat is to the game, they were running around like headless chooks around the 1:30 mark.

• @jrmftw:

We need real structure in this game, like real battles.

0:55 PLASTIC SWORDS.

I rest my case.

• @User:

@jrmftw:

We need real structure in this game, like real battles.

0:55 PLASTIC SWORDS.

I rest my case.

Steel bends the same.

I Want to see knight wrestling as a feature.

• needs more archer

• I didn’t see any type of structure in that video. Looks like a bunch of guys in plate just trying to shove people over.

• I can’t believe they were spinning around. Is there some sort of advantage to that, other than confusing your enemy? Looked like they were trying for ‘trickshots’.

Also, is it just me or does that look really fun? If I had the money I would definitely be in for some real swordfighting. Get all geared up and live my medieval fantasy. Only problem is that I’m pretty short and generally short people don’t do well in any kind of fighting.

@Knifelegs:

I didn’t see any type of structure in that video. Looks like a bunch of guys in plate just trying to shove people over.

Well, shoving someone over - especially a knight - would turn out to be a huge advantage in a real fight. Though not as heavy as most think, knight armor still is heavy. They wouldn’t be able to just jump back up on their feet.

• Can you define “real structure”?

• You want something more like this?

Ixm6sXe1TYE

• @Jon:

I can’t believe they were spinning around. Is there some sort of advantage to that, other than confusing your enemy? Looked like they were trying for ‘trickshots’.

Yeah this is a weird kind of reenacting where they count the amount of times you hit or something, so probably a trick shot or just showing off.

@Jon:

Also, is it just me or does that look really fun? If I had the money I would definitely be in for some real swordfighting. Get all geared up and live my medieval fantasy. Only problem is that I’m pretty short and generally short people don’t do well in any kind of fighting.

Trust me it is fun, and don’t worry about being short. I’m short but I do just fine, besides it’s historically accurate to be short ;) . You can use speed and being short to get under people’s guards and a lower centre of gravity actually helps when wrestling.

@Jon:

@Knifelegs:

I didn’t see any type of structure in that video. Looks like a bunch of guys in plate just trying to shove people over.

Well, shoving someone over - especially a knight - would turn out to be a huge advantage in a real fight. Though not as heavy as most think, knight armor still is heavy. They wouldn’t be able to just jump back up on their feet.

This is a particular kind of reenactment fighting where the only way to beat an opponent is to knock them over, so you see a lot of pushing, tripping and bashing over actual sword skills. They are trying to be the UFC of medieval combat but doesn’t look very interesting to me.

In the kind I do everyone has a helmet and some body armour (everything from a padded gambeson to plate) and if you get hit in the head or body you are dead. A limb hit means that limb is disabled and two limb hits are death. Most of the time both sides are armoured fairly similarly with mail armor being the most common. Sometimes we might allow guys in plate an extra hit to compensate, depending on the weapon.

It means people fight in formation and are very careful with their blows, as there’s no respawning (and definitely no team killing :D ) Basically it’s like LTS and we all get up and do it again when one team is down.

• My friend does this. He got stabbed by a spear once wearing a gambeson, a leather jerkin and some chainmail. And he was just down and out for the rest of the day.

• It was very hard to injure or kill using medieval weapons against the armor. So it was mostly the completely unprotected peasants who died, and most casualties were after people broke and ran. Most armored people were surrounded, pulled from their horses, and stabbed/malletted to death when their armor was pulled off.

• Need more Polish Knight Fighting League.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=214348038733195