Map Feedback

• I have heard that the maps aren’t intended for such numbers, so it begs the question even more.

Aside from the walking, there is little conveyance for the teams of where to go. Most of the maps feel like something of a plot of land with buildings and various things placed in it, often in a grid-like fashion.

It doesn’t feel like I’m in a bamboo forest, it feels like hallways with no direction, and it doesn’t feel like an acropolis, but rather a vast open area with some stuff blocking the way. Do you go left around the pillar? Do you go right around it? There’s too much ring around the rosie with the enemy team, IMO.

• The only map that really bugs me is the Acropolis. It’s just a big open area with a whole that you could get knocked into if you make a bad mistake. Fighting around the pillars doesn’t happen very often and when it does it’s not really exciting. There’s really nothing in that map currently.

• Yep I agree almost all the maps are way too big, this was brought up in alpha too.

• @Knil:

Yep I agree almost all the maps are way too big, this was brought up in alpha too.

This is alpha :P

Just phase 2.

• Smaller FFA/TD are in the pipeline. Just don’t be goofs and play with 20+ on those ones.

• Even with current numbers on live chiv the maps don’t really feel too cramped and all of the parts of the map are used. There’s just so much bloat on some of the maps, makes getting to combat after respawning really tedious. As I mentioned already the height advantage without melee being able to engage effectively is a bad design choice. It’s good to have height advantage stuff like the darkforest stage 2 ammo box area but that area isn’t gigantic.

• @kwazi:

It’s good to have height advantage stuff like the darkforest stage 2 ammo box area but that area isn’t gigantic.

And multiple access points.

I agree with nearly everything in this thread, maps are just too big currently.

• I also think the maps are too large. Also, there should be a better design to them so it is intuitive as to where to go to find the enemy team. Otherwise everyone is going to run around aimlessly until finding an enemy player or two that are also running around aimlessly.

• http://i.imgur.com/avzGHVg.png

This part of the map in particular needs to be reworked. The free height advantage + easy rotate to the other side pretty much forces the other team to get up on their side and push the bridge as well and pretty much nullifies the rest of the ground area in favor of an extremely strong height advantage.

There are some cover by the rocks where ranged can try and pick the bridge players off but then the game just turns into ranged camping warfare. The bridge players can also just duck into their cave and peek out occasionally.

• @Derpasaur:

Aside from the walking, there is little conveyance for the teams of where to go. Most of the maps feel like something of a plot of land with buildings and various things placed in it, often in a grid-like fashion.

Agreed. They’re lacking a lot of the character and individuality of the base game maps, not to mention the scale feels way off. They differ in theme rather than feel.

• I think the maps need to give players more direction. The paths should flow towards a central area to fight in, rather than meandering pathways between buildings that may or may not lead to the enemy.

A player should be able to see roughly where the main fighting will take place and get an idea of which path to take, the main one which is the quickest route to the battlefield or another path which may take longer but could let you flank the enemy.

Let’s look at the most popular TDM/LTS map for Chivalry: Moor. It’s pretty much a big open space but even then it leads the combatants towards each other with an option either side to flank. It may not look as exciting artistically but it really works from a gameplay point of view.

• Sven and Bjofor insisted on having this years midwinter party outdoors. Many people in the village complained about this decision, to which Bjofor replied, “Are you a viking or not?!”. And thus was the Scandinavian tradition born to always celebrate holidays outdoors no matter if the climate could even make mammoths go extinct.

Seriously though, what the fuck?

• I played the not-bamboo japanese map today on testing, much better than the previous incarnation. The center path takes you directly to mid and there are some side paths you can go. The only problem I had was the side areas are a bit too chokey with small doors making pirate 1shotting an easier task.
    The map played pretty well otherwise, much better than before in my opinion.

• Bamboo has some significant fps drops for me when i look into the center of the map (aka at the bamboo)

I feel like theres too much grass in the map

• after playing in a game with a lot of people i came to the conclusion that most (if not all maps) can be cut in half (or have 1/4 cut off) and it’ll play better, even in multi team LTS modes since teams will be forced to engage- maps are still too big
    or at least create different versions of maps , you can probably split acropolis into 2 or even 3 maps

spawns need to be fixed first though so you spawn with your team 100%