Needed for Expansion: Roman Gladiator

• Simple as the title says the weapons that the gladiator could have would be diverse.

• No.

• Gladiator would have been cool. I thought it’d be a better choice than Centurions just for the diversity in weapons but alas.

• No.

Roman legionary.

• @lemonater47:

No.

Roman legionary.

Praetorian!

• @SavageBeatings:

@lemonater47:

No.

Roman legionary.

Praetorian!

Legionary with a cape.

• Id go for the gladiator, merely for gameplay reasons. Roman legionary and spartan would be too similar, but a gladiator could have a unique set of weaponry and some unique game mechanics, for example through the use of a net that somehow disturbs enemy movements.

• @Wingy:

Id go for the gladiator, merely for gameplay reasons. Roman legionary and spartan would be too similar, but a gladiator could have a unique set of weaponry and some unique game mechanics, for example through the use of a net that somehow disturbs enemy movements.

Similar?

How?

• @lemonater47:

@Wingy:

Id go for the gladiator, merely for gameplay reasons. Roman legionary and spartan would be too similar, but a gladiator could have a unique set of weaponry and some unique game mechanics, for example through the use of a net that somehow disturbs enemy movements.

Similar?

How?

Ridiculously large shield+shortsword+throwable spear

• @Wingy:

@lemonater47:

@Wingy:

Similar?

How?

So we shouldn’t have Knights and Samurais then? Because from what I can tell they’re pretty much the same thing but look a bit different.

Both have two handed swords, polearms and are armoured.

Romans would have a shortsword as primary and no stabbing spear whereas Spartans have stabbing spear as a primary.

However I agree that Gladiators are cool as an idea as long as they do the proper classes such as the Murmillo, Retiarius, Thraex, Hoplomachus, Scissor etc.

EDIT: and of course the Cestus.

• @Dr:

So we shouldn’t have Knights and Samurais then? Because from what I can tell they’re pretty much the same thing but look a bit different.

Romans would have a shortsword as primary and no stabbing spear whereas Spartans have stabbing spear as a primary.

However I agree that Gladiators are cool as an idea as long as they do the proper classes such as the Murmillo, Retiarius, Thraex, Hoplomachus, Scissor etc.

What he means is that they are in fact quite similar. A different primary weapon as the Spartan’s are concerned but both used sword blades with their shields in a particular formation like fashion. Both also used javelins, the spartans with their actual spears, and romans with their pelum. Knight is much more versatile with the broad selection of weapons, the shield is just one of them whereas it’s quite important for the other two’s style. Samurai is just not similar whatsoever, has no shield and a massive selection of weapons. The Gladiator would simply provide more to play with as you say, the variety of Gladiator classes would allow for a lot of variety.

• @Dr:

@Wingy:

@lemonater47:

Similar?

How?

They could probably make a whole $5 expansion with just gladiators.

The Romans used a variety of swords. They also used a spatha which is probably just shorter than the broadsword. And it looks like a broadsword only with the roman point on the end of it which is the main characteristic of all roman infantry swords. Most Cavalry swords many variants of their infantry counterparts hard a rounded edge to stop them stabbing their own foot or horse.

Romans did use their Pilum in melee sometimes. Prior to popular belief most pila weren’t made to bend on impact. There were some that did but most were designed to stay solid. Other aspects of their design already made it pierce deep and hard to pull out. Though it was heavy, short and weighted wrong for stabbing so it was really only used against cavalry. They did have their own 6-7 foot spear called the hasta. Used by the Triarii and later many auxiliary troops used the same design. It was just a standed long one handed spear. Even late Triarii used a technique based off Greek hoplites. Hoplites had a shorter spear though. Often the length of a roman Pilum. Under 6 feet usually.

A roman legionary is a sword unit who uses it to stab while the spartan is a spear troop who really only used his sword if his spear breaks or he loses it somehow.

There was a gladius call the Hispanicus gladius which was actually built for cutting and stabbing. Though it was usually shorter than a standard gladius. Copied from Spanish design but made double edged. It could slash dealer becuase of the way it was curved. Its length also made it perfect for slashing them in the shoulders. Which was a place with big game in the armour and there’s a lethal place close to the neck which often isn’t covered by armour. Big veins and tendons to cut. It was also good and stabbing though bit as deep and if you did go deep it was a tad hard to get it out again.

Also Spartans didn’t throw their spears. No Greek did. A Greek warrior without a spear is no warrior at all.

• @lemonater47:

A Greek warrior without a spear is no warrior at all.

Because only a true Spartan could throw his spear, then run all the way over to the other end, and pick it back up without dying.

• Yeah, for any Spartan non-helot (and helots almost never were allowed to have weapons) to throw, fling, etc. ANYTHING except large rocks at the enemy would be very dishonorable. Legionaries or gladiators would be very cool, but gladiators would be more variable.

• @Dr:

Ok lets go point by point.

The european knight and the samurai are in fact quite different.

The knight is more heavily armored on average, and favors weapons that can pierce armor, such as maces, flails or spears, and even his poor armor piercing weapons such as the sword are adapted to be as effective against armor as possible. He usually carries a shield with him too, and many of his weapons are onehanded.

The samurai has less variety of weaponry. His trademark katana is actualy a cavalry sword that is severely damaged when it hits armor, but is really effective at cutting unarmored opponents. Apart from thet, he also use two handed spears and bows. In fact, the bow is actually his primary weapon, followed by the spear. The katana was more of a sidearm, relegated to a secondary position due to its shorter range and inefectiveness against armor. It was also a popular dueling sword. Most of his weapons are two handed, and he doesnt use a shield.

From a gameplay point of view, wich was what I was talking about, the knight and the samurai play pretty different, and their selection of weapons is unique for each of them.

About spartan vs legionaire:

Spartan ingame: he has access to a selection of spears, with different lengths and speed. He can throw this spear to soften his opponents before charging in, leaving him with a shortwsword+shield as his remaining weapons.

How legionaires would work ingame: They have a primary shortsword+shield. In their secondary slot, they get small javelins that can be used to soften their opponents before charging in. One of his weapon choices is a one handed spear, that replaces his javelins.

Sounds pretty similar to me. As I said, gameplay wise.

• @Wingy:

Spartan ingame: he has access to a selection of spears, with different lengths and speed. He can throw this spear to soften his opponents before charging in, leaving him with a shortwsword+shield as his remaining weapons.

How legionaires would work ingame: They have a primary shortsword+shield. In their secondary slot, they get small javelins that can be used to soften their opponents before charging in. One of his weapon choices is a one handed spear, that replaces his javelins.

Sorry friend, but you’re seeing the side to play alone, suppose a group of friends bought the game they’re going to be able to do with Spartan phalanx, vain power to a horde of Vikings, vain power to an army of samurai, what do you think more account of a group of gladiators … o_o or a platoon of Roman legionaries walking by massacring all the game in strategic positions, the secret is not to have varieties of gun and yes, strategies, fun and adrenaline … trust me if you see a squad in the game that you would freak out, fear or happiness because you could be part of it …

• @EmperorAntares:

trust me if you see a squad in the game that you would freak out, fear or happiness because you could be part of it …

Ahahaha this. In some games when I joined with 4 other friends, we managed to strong arm the rest of the team into our legion. All Knights with tower shields in formation, people just did not know what to do. In last team standing it was like a steamroller, i’m sure another organised group could defeat it but against a pub, it’s just… funny.

And then you go all slings…

• The thing is that organization is very hard to pull off and not very useful in this game. The maps need to be larger and more designed for teamplay as opposed to rushing at the objective and damaging it. Also, classes need to depend more eon one another, instead of slight differences in weaponry.

• @EmperorAntares:

@Wingy:

Sorry friend, but you’re seeing the side to play alone, suppose a group of friends bought the game they’re going to be able to do with Spartan phalanx, vain power to a horde of Vikings, vain power to an army of samurai, what do you think more account of a group of gladiators … o_o or a platoon of Roman legionaries walking by massacring all the game in strategic positions, the secret is not to have varieties of gun and yes, strategies, fun and adrenaline … trust me if you see a squad in the game that you would freak out, fear or happiness because you could be part of it …

How does playing with friends change the gameplay mechanics of a class? Wether its 1 or 10 people, spartans and legionaires are practically the same gameplay wise.

• i would love to see the spear, dagger, net set of weapons. that is such a funny loudout that was actually used, both realistic and fantastic, awesome.