Future Factions (Tenosians & Celdarians)

• Somewhere into the far future there is a likely chance that a DLC will be released which adds one or more factions into the Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. The game lore states that King Argon was slain during a crusade in the strange lands to the South, which is apparently occupied by Tenosians. I hereby start this thread as a place to discuss just what these future factions should look like. I’ll start off by describing two faction, the Tenosians to the South, and the Celdarians to the North.

Faction Name
    Tenosian (name from the game lore)

Faction Description
    The Tenosians are a people who are very loyal to their king. They are not ambitious and bold like the Agathians; but wise and strong warriors. They share this trait with the Masons, but are the exact opposite in terms of rebellious.

Color Theme
    Primary: Yellow/Gold, Secondary: White

Hail From
    Desolate deserts dotted with oases to the South.

Race, Armor, and Weapon Theme
    Saracen\Persian[superscript:1kf438o0]I[/superscript:1kf438o0] (possibly with hints of Ancient Egyptian).

Appearance Theme:
    Not much is known about the Tenosians. They favor armor plated with gold[superscript:1kf438o0]I[/superscript:1kf438o0] that is abundant from their mines. Their shields bear the colors of yellow[superscript:1kf438o0]II[/superscript:1kf438o0] and white, like the blinding sun and sand. Some say that the Mason Order was started by Tenosians who entered Agatha while the King was away on crusade, this would explain why some of the Mason’s armor bears a resemblance[superscript:1kf438o0]I[/superscript:1kf438o0].

Their armor will be based on Persian/Saracen design, and could possibly have hits of Ancient Egyptian like the Jaffa Warriors from Stargate[superscript:1kf438o0]III[/superscript:1kf438o0].

I.II.III.
    Oops, middle picture should be smaller, as well as black replaced with white.

~ ~ ~

Faction Name
    Celdarian

Faction Description
    The Celdarians are a peaceful farming and logging people who are content with their land. They are ruled by a fair king who treats them just. They would never raise sword against another race or kingdom, but will defend their land with fiery passion if the need arises. Just like the Agathians, the Celdarians are loyal and just, but unlike them they are humble and astute.

Color Theme
    Primary: Green, Secondary: Brown

Hail From
    Rolling grassy hills and immense forests to the North.

Race, Armor, and Weapon Theme
    Irish/Scottish and partially Nordic and German[superscript:1kf438o0]I[/superscript:1kf438o0].

Appearance Theme:
    The Celdarians raise a lot of animals, which results in them wearing lots of wool and leather. This includes gloves, tunics, cloaks, capes, hoods, boots and belts. They always dye the wool green[superscript:1kf438o0]III[/superscript:1kf438o0], which combined with natural leather proves as effective camouflage in nature[superscript:1kf438o0]II[/superscript:1kf438o0]. Even the knights wear lots of wool products over top of their metal armor.

Their armor will look very similar to Teutonic Knights[superscript:1kf438o0]I[/superscript:1kf438o0], and their tunics/cloaks will bear resemblance to the traditional image of Robin Hood.[superscript:1kf438o0]III[/superscript:1kf438o0]

I.II.III.

Now it’s your turn, lets hear some homebrew lore:

• IS that Jaffa armour from stargate?

• First thing I noticed too :P

I like the green guys btw (I’m Irish)

• Why adding a continent to the north? On the lore map of Agatha (can’t find it, probably not up anymore?), there are many many realms, including one to the north with viking-like inhabitants.

• @Strudel:

IS that Jaffa armour from stargate?

Yep, there’s an explanation right above the first set of pictures! :)

@PowerZ:

Why adding a continent to the north? On the lore map of Agatha (can’t find it, probably not up anymore?), there are many many realms, including one to the north with viking-like inhabitants.

I couldn’t find it anywhere either, so I just made up a bunch of info based on the Tenosians to the South.

• @Viper:

cunning and aggressive.

@Viper:

Persian/Saracen

Cunning and agressive? If we’re stereotyping why stop there, why don’t give them the ability to explode once their health is less than 20 percent?
    I don’t know why you would automatically link Saracen/Persian to “cunning and aggressive”. I can only assume you did it subconciously because you grew up with the
    stereotypes that were portrayed over and over again in countless media outlets like movies, tv shows, comics and many more. Even games tend to portray their main villain as stereotypes.
    What bothers me the most is that these stereotypes are almost always placed in a “good” versus “evil” scenario which further hideously distorts the view on the reality for certain people.
    I guess thats just a consequence of the euro/Western-centric view that is dominating.

But all this on a side note.

The descriptions you gave of the factions were very unoriginal and shallow. It would be realy dissapointing if the lore would develop into the typical “good” versus “evil”
    story line because we all know how those stories end. I suggest that we refrain from giving the factions only “good” or only “evil” traits but that we make them unique and well thought out so that the interactions between these factions can provide a satisfying and compelling story.

• I didn’t intend to be racist in any way at all. I simply wanted the two new factions to be a contrast of each other, and share some traits with the current two factions. Masons are aggressive, are they not? I wanted the Tenosians to share that aggressiveness with the Masons, but not be so rebellious as them, instead loyal to their king. Naturally if the Tenosians shared most traits with the Masons, the Celdarians should share their traits with the Agathians, like I described in my post. Aggressive doesn’t mean “evil”, it just means, aggressive. If you are uncomfortable with my ideas for the future factions, I can swap the characteristics of the Tenosians with the Celdarins. These are just ideas I threw together with the purpose of getting others to get some ideas together, I did not mean to be racist in any way.

*edit: There, I changed “cunning and aggressive” to “wise and strong warriors”. Hopefully this is no longer viewed as a stereotype, which it was definitely not meant to be.

@Sophax:

I don’t know why you would automatically link Saracen/Persian to “cunning and aggressive”.

I wanted the Tenosians to share the trait of being aggressive with the Masons, as the Masons do look like they wear armor from the region, do they not?

• Lets compare shall we?

Celradians:

-Personality

peaceful farming and logging people

would never raise sword against another race or kingdom

loyal and just

-Armor

Their armor will look very similar to Teutonic Knights

Now for the Tenosians

Tenosians:

-Personality

aggressive and cunning

-Armor

Saracen\Persian

Conclusion: This was intended, you’ve even proven it to be intended by saying they should contrast each other and as most of us know the Saracens and the Teutonic Order were two warring factions during the Crusades. But more importantly is how you described the “personality” of each faction. We can see that the Teutonic Order are playing the good guys while the Saracens are the bad guys as usual. You just gave them another name.

No matter how you look at it calling a people aggressive has a negative connotation thus can’t be considered a neutral term. So describing a people as aggressive AND cunning makes it hard to believe they are not “evil”, relatively speaking.

If there was one faction to be described as aggressive then it would have to be Agatha( under the rule of King Argon), since they went out on an unprovoked invasion as far as we know.

It also doesn’t make sense that you make sense that you HAVE to base the Tenosian on the Mason Order and the Celradians on Agatha. Why bother inventing new factions if they are merely adaptations of existing ones. Making a link between Tenosians and the Mason Order would not explain the appearance of the armor of the Mason Order since its based on Eastern-European armor.

Just to clarify, racism has nothing to do with this. I’m just pointing out the stereotype in your suggestion. I am not uncomfortable with your suggestion nor am I here because I want you to change what you typed so feel free to change it to whatever you wish.

• Lets compare shall we?

Celradians:

-Personality

peaceful farming and logging people

would never raise sword against another race or kingdom

loyal and just

-Armor

Their armor will look very similar to Teutonic Knights

Now for the Tenosians

Tenosians:

-Personality

aggressive and cunning

-Armor

Saracen\Persian

Conclusion: This was intended, you’ve even proven it to be intended by saying they should contrast each other and as most of us know the Saracens and the Teutonic Order were two warring factions during the Crusades. But more importantly is how you described the “personality” of each faction. We can see that the Teutonic Order are playing the good guys while the Saracens are the bad guys as usual. They were just re-named.

No matter how you look at it calling a people aggressive has a negative connotation thus can’t be considered a neutral term. So describing a people as aggressive AND cunning makes it hard to believe they are not “evil”, relatively speaking.

If there was one faction to be described as aggressive then it would have to be Agatha( under the rule of King Argon), since they went out on an unprovoked invasion as far as we know.

It also doesn’t make sense that you make sense that you HAVE to base the Tenosian on the Mason Order and the Celradians on Agatha. Why bother inventing new factions if they are merely adaptations of existing ones. Making a link between Tenosians and the Mason Order would not explain the appearance of the armor of the Mason Order since its based on Eastern-European armor.

Just to clarify, racism has nothing to do with this. I’m just pointing out the stereotype in your suggestion. I am not uncomfortable with your suggestion nor am I here because I want you to change what you typed so feel free to change it to whatever you wish.

• I don’t have time to post a lengthy reply right now, but I never even knew the Teutonic Order was at war with the Saracens. I didn’t even know any history of them at all, the only thing I actually knew about the Teutonic Order is that they were German!

In all honesty I didn’t mean to steriotype. The only reason I refered to the Saracens and Teutonic knights was because they wear the exact kind of armor I imagined the faction to the North and South would wear. That’s the only reason, no other aspect of those two real-world-factions are used to describe my two made-up ones.

@Sophax:

I am not uncomfortable with your suggestion nor am I here because I want you to change what you typed so feel free to change it to whatever you wish.

If thats the case, then why are you trying to prove I’m steriotypical and/or racist? Obviously you are uncomfortable with my post, so later tonight I’ll delete this thread and rewrite it, making sure not to include any accidental steriotypes. I am sorry for accidentally being offensive. :?

• Sophax:

He is saying their armor could look Persian, to differentiate it from the European armor of the other factions. He is not saying they ARE Persians. This is a fictional game. There is nothing even remotely offensive about saying a faction with “Persian-looking” armour could be “aggressive.”

I kind of agree with you that describing factions as “loyal and brave” or “aggressive and cunning” etc isnt very useful, really, to creating good backstory. BUT that IS how the developers have described the factions so far. Viper was just following the established style. The Masons are definitely described using “negative” terms in the official lore.

Everyone knows the founding fathers of the USA were mostly all FreeMasons and also lead a revolution against the King. The game lore even calls Agathians “loyalists”. So the Masons, in historic terms, could be modeled after Americans. And yet I havent heard even one American bitching about stereotyping them as evil.

Regardless of whether the Tenosians are “aggressive” or “peace-loving”, they will liking get wind of the civil war between Agatha and the Masons and view it as the perfect time to launch a counter-crusade. I like Vipers ideas for how they should look when/if they are introduced to the game. If you have better ideas on how they should look then maybe you should post them instead of getting all butt hurt over Persian-looking armor.

• that escalated quickly…
    Ok lore ideas. some motives for the celdarians to attack agathians/masons could be that they have returned to reclaim what was once their land. say many years ago (long before king Argon) they rejected to submit to agthian rule and were annihilated, but the remaining people came back for vengeance or just to get back to their homeland after living under lousy conditions out in the wild. they could probably join an alliance with the tenosians because they share enemy. another idea could be that the celdarians were just barbaric invaders travelling through the sea (viking mash up :D).

• @RecklessStrategy:

that escalated quickly…
    Ok lore ideas. some motives for the celdarians to attack agathians/masons could be that they have returned to reclaim what was once their land.

I was thinking that the Celdarians would be minding their own business, when the Masons decide to invade them (at this point the Masons and Agatha have roughly the same amount of land). The Celdarians then kick the Mason’s asses, and start to move in on the Mason’s land.

Alternatively, replace the Masons with Agatha.

Hopefully I didn’t offend anyone this time. :?

• Alternatively, replace the Masons with Agatha.

Down with the Order!

• @Martin:

Alternatively, replace the Masons with Agatha.

Down with the Order!

Who voices the Mason vanguard anyway? (best VO IMHO) 8-)

• Only Loin does any VO work in regards to the dev team - he voiced both Men-at-Arms. The rest are done by various amateur actors.

• Hmmm… I thought Tibbs did the one of the classes?

• Not in Chiv, no . hahaha

• I could have sworn he did one of the VOs whether it was a class or tutorial character… I guess I am very mistaken then, lol!

• like the idea of celdarians. just not sure if htere should be some kind of good good good guys. i mean well ags are good celds are good whole world here sounds good or bad why not just neutral? (lets just say they try to be neutral)