Some combat aspect tweaks and balances I thought up.

• I’ve been playing this game for a couple months now and, after hitting rank 40, there are a few things I’ve thought about could add to the game. This is all just brainstorm, feel free to share your opinions or changes of what I said!

First off, feints. I don’t have a problem with people feinting, it’s a valid strategy at times, but also they can be free hits at times. So, to balance out the use of the feint: attacks after feints do half the damage the attack would normally do. Also, the quicker the weapon, the lower the window you can feint. Ex - broadsword would be able to feint 30% through the windup while zwei would be able to feint 80% through the windup or something.

Drags are an excellent aspect of the game and to give them more depth in their uses (and balance out the times they are annoying) have a system that reads the speed of the drag and lowers the damage if the attack is slowed and increases it if the drag is sped up. That way that slowed zwei overhand that seems to just tap you on the forehead doesn’t take out 75% of your health.

MAA should only be able to dodge when they are above 50% stamina. This and the feint windup tweak on fast weapons? I think the balance of maa would be fixed nicely and add a new element to managing their stamina and play strategy.

Knights need a powerful, yet very slow, strong attack (like the vanguard leap, but knights wouldn’t leap, just a stand still attack) to make up for the damage they lost on the sword “balances”. During this attack, the knights can’t move during the windup and/or maybe the attack can’t be interrupted? Depending on how the attack is set up, knights could really have an impact in attacking on team play with groups of people.

With varying damages on drags and weakened attacks following feints, the damage trading in combat can get a lot more diverse and balance out some weapons that take advantage of the game’s mechanics arguably more than other weapons. Feel me?

Thoughts? Agree? Disagree? Share!

• I find your ideas pretty interesting.
    I like your idea about the feint-window depending on the weapon speeds! It’s something I totally agree with. With that added to the game, one handed feints will be way more easy to read. And I would appreciate that!
    I don’t agree with the damage loss though. Except for the damage loss when dragging.
    But that could also mean, that you should increase the damage when you accelerate your attack.
    I think we shouldn’t be going that far. Also, making the game read the speed your weapon is moving, could give a performance hit. And the performance has already gotten worse with the patches (at least to me).

About your idea with the knight: I think the knight should be a defensive class. Instead of a damage boost, I’d give him a huge benefit for shields. The kite shield and tower shield are both so tall, if you crouch, they stand on the ground. So while crouching, they shouldn’t drain any stamina AT ALL. And stamina regeneration should also not be stopped while holding your shield up when crouching.
    Of course he should get a stamina drain when someone hits his shield, but it should be way less than when he’s standing and way less than for other classes.
    This way the knight will finally be able to hold a real shield wall and keep multiple enemies busy, until friends arrive and help you.
    Back to the damage: Knight’s weapons do enough damage. The weaker ones still two hit vanguards. I rather think that some one handed weapons should get a little damage debuff. (Thrusting dagger two-hits the vanguard if only one of the hits hit the head??? Come on! It should at least be two head shots to kill a vanguard, not just one head shot and one anywhere else.)

• I really doubt that TB will make any balance changes.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

I really doubt that TB will make any balance changes.

We are discussing about our thoughts, not about what’s actually gonna happen.

• Made an account just to say that your idea for feints is brilliant.

Moving on to knights, personally I think that if shields offered more passive defensive bonuses other than stopping the occasional projectile it could really transform the knight into that defensive front line unit that they’re supposed to represent.

Something like shields on the back absorbing hits in exchange for a short flinch and damage to stamina instead of damage to health, or even a reduction in damage taken could greatly impact the knights fighting capabilities in group combat.

Knights could even be given a short shield charge attack that flinches/stuns and knocks back clusters of enemies instead of doing huge amounts of damage, which I think could be a pretty neat idea too.

• @Peter:

About your idea with the knight: I think the knight should be a defensive class. Instead of a damage boost, I’d give him a huge benefit for shields. The kite shield and tower shield are both so tall, if you crouch, they stand on the ground. So while crouching, they shouldn’t drain any stamina AT ALL. And stamina regeneration should also not be stopped while holding your shield up when crouching.
    Of course he should get a stamina drain when someone hits his shield, but it should be way less than when he’s standing and way less than for other classes.
    This way the knight will finally be able to hold a real shield wall and keep multiple enemies busy, until friends arrive and help you.
    Back to the damage: Knight’s weapons do enough damage. The weaker ones still two hit vanguards. I rather think that some one handed weapons should get a little damage debuff. (Thrusting dagger two-hits the vanguard if only one of the hits hit the head??? Come on! It should at least be two head shots to kill a vanguard, not just one head shot and one anywhere else.)

loljk Kick

Anyway OP, how about making Buckler a viable shield for both knight and MAA? that ever struck you??

• gg

ez

• @enicalyhT:

@Peter:

loljk Kick

Anyway OP, how about making Buckler a viable shield for both knight and MAA? that ever struck you??

If you aren’t a total retard, the kick won’t be such a big problem. Only if they trick you into blocking before they kick you.

I saw knights that never fell for one single damn kick.

• I must say I love this idea!

TB please, consider it!

• Lookdown overheads with polehammer on vanguards would nearly oneshot. :bonk:

• @Pebble:

Lookdown overheads with polehammer on vanguards would nearly oneshot. :bonk:

Lookdowns speed up when the attack lands, but the speed of the swing wouldn’t increase. It should do less damage at the top of the animation too.