Close fight (dis)advantages

• I have noticed there is some difference when it comes to really close up fighting, with the Man At Arms its pretty normal they can be fast. But i have noticed something that could get a little tweak. When you are a Vanguard weapon and you get really in the face of your opponent, like really almost nose to nose, you are still able to hit them, even though your swing should not be able to make this move as your weapons shaft would hit their body, but they still get hurt. I notice that most of the time people with a bardiche of spear seem to know this and abuse the hell out of it and they are mostly on the top of the list.

I think there should be maximum amount of distance of how much you can get in someones face, if you are really arms into arms, you should barely be able to have the power to do a powerful strike and the shaft of your bardiche would hit the opponents body or a stab would hit with not enough strength to hurt someone enough to completely impale him.

• Funny, the popular opinion right now is that any vanguard who lets someone with a close range weapon get in his face is fucked already. I don’t think this is necessary from a balance perspective. The reason you see VGs topping scoreboards at the moment is because it’s easy to run into a large fight and slash spam wildly.

• I agree with you. Because Vanguards have pole-arms with the advantage of being longer than the other weapons, they shouldn’t be effective, if at all, at very close range. This way players are forced to change weapons, a downside which balances the fact that it is harder for other players to get close to a Vanguard with a pole-arm.

That way you sacrifice some defense for having a very long reach weapon.

*edit: I see Sly posted while I was writing this.
    I think if pole-arm damage was increased, this thread’s idea implemented, and pole-arm equip/dequip time was increased, you would be adding more strategy to the way Vanguards fight. Then again, they might just be good the way they are now.

• To add another counter point to this argument, I would like to point out that at the point where the player models hitboxes collide and you physically cannot move any closer together it becomes pretty much impossible to block any one handed weapon with the range of a mace, even with a shield. This is due to hotboxing errors as well as a few other things. So until this is fixed I Would suggest that making a MAA even more effective at the very close range would be undesirable, even if it’s just to keep the balance in the beta until release/the bugs are addressed by the developers.

• @PsychoAlex:

To add another counter point to this argument, I would like to point out that at the point where the player models hitboxes collide and you physically cannot move any closer together it becomes pretty much impossible to block any one handed weapon with the range of a mace, even with a shield. This is due to hotboxing errors as well as a few other things. So until this is fixed I Would suggest that making a MAA even more effective at the very close range would be undesirable, even if it’s just to keep the balance in the beta until release/the bugs are addressed by the developers.

I also noticed that when the players hitboxes collided you indeed get kinda stuck into each other and you can’t seem to block any direct attacks. With the spear against you its very hard seeing you almost dont see the thrust, especially if you are just hit and the screen is reddish.

• @Necramonium:

I also noticed that when the players hitboxes collided you indeed get kinda stuck into each other and you can’t seem to block any direct attacks. With the spear against you its very hard seeing you almost dont see the thrust, especially if you are just hit and the screen is reddish.

That’s what he said! :P
    @PsychoAlex:

at the point where the player models hitboxes collide and you physically cannot move any closer together it becomes pretty much impossible to block any one handed weapon

I guess you’re right though Necro, the block bypass applies to almost every weapon, not just one handed ones! ;)

• Thats why i replied on him:

Necramonium wrote:I also noticed that when the players hitboxes collided **_you indeed _**get kinda stuck into each other and you can’t seem to block any direct attacks. With the spear against you its very hard seeing you almost dont see the thrust, especially if you are just hit and the screen is reddish.

8-)

• Sorry lol, I’m tired today! :p

• They need to increase the collision box size imo.

• After many hours of playing again its still becoming much clearer to me how annoying it is not being able to defend when someone is so close in your face. Completely ruins the fun for me.