Thoughts/Opinions

• It’s late, so I’m just going to make a quick list.

1. Please just remove pirate. Please. They are ridiculous and guns do not fit into this game at all. Guns with 15 ammo are OP and will be extremely annoying, especially in the comp scene when teams go double pirate, double knight halberd/crossbow and one samurai and just shoot everyone. On the public servers, it will just turn into 1/3 of each team or more running around yelling “YAR YAR YAR” and shooting people fighting in melee in the back.

2. Reduce movement speed to vanilla chiv. (Spartan to knight speed, samurai and viking to van speed, ninja to maa speed, etc.) The insanely fast movement speed encourages people to just run around wildly and combo. Parrying seems to only work for me about 60% of the time, I’m assuming b/c people are getting around my block b/c of how easy it is to circle around someone. It makes the combat feel floaty and inaccurate. It also pretty much makes being on the defensive, ever, impossible.

3. The maps feel directionless and empty of detail, except for the one with the castle. Bamboo Forest is also not too bad.

4. Remove crossbow from the knight class. Having the most health and the best ranged weapon as well as access to a powerful two hander (halberd) or a versatile longsword is a terrible design choice. I would really prefer if ranged was kept to a minimum in this game. My personal opinion is that pirate should be gone entirely, but if he must be in then limit his ammo count to 5 shots on the blunderbuss and 8 on the pistol. Also, increase the reload speed and make it so that he must reload in place like a crossbowman in vanilla chiv. On Samurai, give the option to choose the yumi bow as your primary and get 25 shots like in vanilla chiv, but then have reduced armor and only have access to the wakizashi. Just remove crossbow from the game entirely.

5. Hammer is OP

6. Give the Viking a new special ability. The increased combo speed thing is a terrible idea and will be OP, I assure you. Myself and several others have seen the animations desync often b/c of this feature. His ability to throw his shield and pick it up is strong already, so something else minor like that would round him off. I think giving him the vanguard charge ability would make the most sense: a locked animation that does higher damage. Just make sure it’s its own button this time.

7. The Spartan needs more weapon options.

This is all I can think of off the top of my head. More than anything else, ask yourselves if you want people to take your game seriously. The pirate will ruin that. Vanilla has a humorous side to it but at its core it’s still dark, gritty Chiv. Also, archer is currently, in my opinion and many others in the comp scene, extremely overpowered in vanilla. This is due to the increased projectile speed from the June patch, as well as their incredibly fast weapons (shortsword) and their backstab bonus. Adding all these ranged options into DW will draw the focus away from melee, which is why people purchased the game in the first place.

• I think you hate archers and MAAs in vanilla chiv. Based on most of what you just said.

• I agree with 7. The rest is inane babble.

• Don’t allow double ranged options in comp if the game suffers for it, pirate at his current power should be limited to 1 anyway.

Movement and aiming is more important in this game. Just take some time to get used to the game and how the swings work (even though chivalry netcode is ass and the animations are hopefully work in progress)

Maps do need some work.

• @lemonater47:

I think you hate archers and MAAs in vanilla chiv. Based on most of what you just said.

Not true at all. I think ranged should be a viable option in both games and it adds more depth to the strategies one must employ to win. What I dislike is when on a public server almost half the other team is composed of archers and when I play against other clans that go double archer I am forced to do the same to level the playing field. I never said anything relating to MAA’s.

• @?:

@lemonater47:

I think you hate archers and MAAs in vanilla chiv. Based on most of what you just said.

Not true at all. I think ranged should be a viable option in both games and it adds more depth to the strategies one must employ to win. What I dislike is when on a public server almost half the other team is composed of archers and when I play against other clans that go double archer I am forced to do the same to level the playing field. I never said anything relating to MAA’s.

Movement speed, fast swings and berserk mode making it even faster.

• Bumping this thread instead of creating a new one.

I’ve been thinking about the new GUI - Menu improvements and I think the game is looking great and each update is really noticeable.

Since I think I must be one of the lest experienced players (I administrate Servers more than actually playing which I wish was the other way around) I usually connect to spectate and I don’t know if its me that’s getting used to the gameplay or its the upgrades but I think it is running each time more smoothly.

The only thing that I wish was fixed -from my perspective- is that sometimes hits don’t feel like they connect, or don’t feel like hitting a solid thing. I don’t think hitting structures, players, shields or swords have a really different effect or are so greatly differentiated in DW like they are in Chivalry: MW.

Someone mentioned somewhere -don’t remember where- that a good addition to the T.O maps would be the participation of the King from the beginning of the map. I would love to see this idea developed.

• I wish I could have an opinion about game speed. It seems fine when playing locally against bots but I get 250-300 ping when testing on the server.

I doubt they will removed Pirate or crossbow for the Knight. However there needs to be balancing for both. Less ammo for both would be a good start and reduce the ability for pirates to pick up ammo.

Hammer is OP, agree with but don’t nerf too much.

Spartans certainly need more weapons.

• I think everything is great the way it is, sure things need minor tweaks. But Pirates imo are fine. I have no issue killing them.

• Pirates vs spartan game.

Pirates lost.

• Guns, crossbow and hammer are getting nerfed (technically they were never ‘balanced’ to begin with, hammer is using broadsword timings and the guns are using crossbow ammo for example, just placeholder numbers), and the Spartan is getting a couple new weapons to fill out his arsenal - more swords and spears because that’s all Spartans used (nobody agreed with me that they should have a Sling :P )

• @lemonater47:

Pirates vs spartan game.

Pirates lost.

Pirates won when me and the part of my clan who had DW were all on the same team! :lol:

• @SlyGoat:

Guns, crossbow and hammer are getting nerfed (technically they were never ‘balanced’ to begin with, hammer is using broadsword timings and the guns are using crossbow ammo for example, just placeholder numbers), and the Spartan is getting a couple new weapons to fill out his arsenal - more swords and spears because that’s all Spartans used (nobody agreed with me that they should have a Sling :P )

Alright glad to hear it. I would have no problem with everyone having a ranged option, as long as melee is always the more desirable option, meaning that ranged does not that much damage and ammo for it is limited. Otherwise I guarantee that everyone on pubs will fire from a distance then run into melee, or just camp near an ammo box and just go pure ranged. And in competitive, I really don’t know what will happen. But my first reaction is that everyone will just hide and snipe at the beginning on the round (if it’s LTS), until one team loses someone, then that team will be forced to rush. Basically whatever team’s members are overall better at ranged will win.

• There will be no ammo boxes in DW.

Pirate is (obviously) obviously meant to be the most ranged dependent class. It’s his ability to instant gib people at range that we’re targeting, really - he’ll still have the most ammo (not as much as currently) and the strongest overall ranged potential.

• The lack of ammo boxes is promising. My instant reaction to some of these changes was poor and I probably shouldn’t have made a forum post that was this derogatory. As long as ammo is limited enough and range isn’t as powerful as it is now, everything should be fine. I just tend to worry about changes that encourage ranged play in what is currently, in my opinion, the only good first person melee combat game.

• @SlyGoat:

There will be no ammo boxes in DW.

Pirate is (obviously) obviously meant to be the most ranged dependent class. It’s his ability to instant gib people at range that we’re targeting, really - he’ll still have the most ammo (not as much as currently) and the strongest overall ranged potential.

But what about more arrows? 8 shots on a low-power bow is pathetic.

• @SlyGoat:

Spartan is getting a couple new weapons to fill out his arsenal - more swords and spears because that’s all Spartans used (nobody agreed with me that they should have a Sling :P )

I AGREE WITH YOU!

They should totally have slings! Archers in Medieval Warfare get to use slings, which was really outdated by that time. But ancient greeks in Deadliest Warrior doesn’t get to use slings, even though they were one of the most commonly used ranged weapons of the ancient time. Dafuq?

And they should be able to use slings with a shield, too!
    gXiUDJRgiUc

• @Daiyuki:

@SlyGoat:

There will be no ammo boxes in DW.

But what about more arrows? 8 shots on a low-power bow is pathetic.

Yumi is getting a couple more arrows and some buffs to speed and mobility.

• @SlyGoat:

the Spartan is getting a couple new weapons to fill out his arsenal - more swords and spears because that’s all Spartans used (nobody agreed with me that they should have a Sling :P )

Yeah I saw the Spartan now has a 4th weapon in the Short Spear and the Falcatta. Love that weapon.