Some First Impressions - The Pirate

• So, I finally was able to play yesterday for a good couple of hours.

I’d say overall it aint bad! I think the game is coming along quite nicely and overall I had a great time yesterday. I’m just gonna say what I think per class and go from there.

**-Pirate
    Character design: I’m not sure if I’m the only one that sees this, but the Pirate seems to be a straight copy of Johnny Depp’s father in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest, Edward Teague

Minus the hat then. It would be nice to have the characters look more original instead of looking very similar to certain movie characters, like the Spartan, but I’ll get to that.

Weapons: obviously, the Pirate’s guns are the class’ main event. I haven’t played enough to really notice the difference between the Flintlock and Blunderbuss (I’m not even sure if they’re called like that). So I’m just gonna lump em up and talk about them in general.
    They’re too powerful, simply put. I think the range of the weapons is over powered, and also just historically inaccurate. This is from the Flintlock wiki:

“Their effective range was short, and they were frequently used as an adjunct to a sword or cutlass.”

Flintlocks were more as….say, shotguns, than long ranged rifles. Right now, I can shoot guys from almost across the map with a flintlock, and that’s just far too much range. I think the fact that you can reload while slowly moving, and the speed of it makes it even more over powered. I’m not sure, but I think the spread of the weapons is also a bit overkill.

I had a great idea though, having read quite a bit about the flintlock, I think it would be awesome to be able to duel wield a cutlass/axe/dagger WITH a flintlock. Make the range way shorter for the flintlock and the reload times longer, maybe keep the slow movement while reloading in. This encourages the player to go up close, and use the flintlock more as a shotgun, a last resort, or a way to sponge up the enemy and finish them off with his melee weapon. This makes the Pirate more of a hard hitting shock trooper then a long range rifleman, which I think is much more appropriate for a Pirate.

All of these things I said about the flintlock (minus the duel wield thing) also count for the blunderbuss, it is basically the same story only worse. From what I could gather, the blunderbuss has more range, has more damage, and reloads a tad slower then the flintlock. I was basically a long range rifleman, standing on top of a rock and picking off targets. And as soon as more pirates came the whole match turned into a long range napoleon-esc battle ground. Which is cool, I guess? But I think that’s not what the Chivalry games are going for, right? ;)

So for the blunderbuss, make it longer ranged as the flintlock, more damage, slower reload time. The blunderbuss is the longer ranged, let’s-stand-back-and-shoot-things weapon of the pirate, but just nerf it a lot. The flintlock should be a shotgun, a shock weapon, you duel wield it with the cutlass, run in, shoot a guy in the face, then come in with your cutlass or axe. I think it would looks awesome, and would be really fun in battle.

There is also the Molotov throwable, I haven’t used them as much, for now they seem to just be oil pots, only not. I’ll need to mess around with these a bit more.

as for the melee weapons, the cutlass, the axe, and that dagger thing (am I missing one?). They seem fine, I’m not really seeing anything broken, over powered, under powered, or awesome about them. They’re alright, nothing out of the ordinary from what I could tell, UNLESS we can duel wield them with the flintlock ;)

I think that just about covers the Pirate class, overall he’s fun to play as, but needs a lot of retooling and balancing to make him fair in combat.

I’m gonna update this post with the other classes when I have the time and when I’ve put some more play time in with them.

Cheers.

• I was going to suggest something similar for the flintlock.
    Since it is generally agreed the flintlock is less powerful than the blunderbuss, and that the pirate does not really as viable in melee as the other classes; would it be possible for the flintlock to be a secondary that can be pulled out quickly in times of need and have some more melee weapons for the pirate to have as a primary to make it a more viable melee class, such as say a buff for the cutlass, boarding axe and maybe a rapier type weapon.
    Also if someone wants to go pure ranged a blunderbuss and flintlock set up would be possible with this system.

• @dustytretch:

I was going to suggest something similar for the flintlock.
    Since it is generally agreed the flintlock is a less powerful than the blunderbuss, and that the pirate does not really have a good melee opportunity like the other classes; would it be possible for the flintlock to be a secondary that is possible to be pulled out quickly in times of need and have some more melee weapons for the pirate to have as a primary to make it a more viable melee class.
    Also if someone wants to be a pure ranged pirate a blunderbuss and flintlock set up would be possible with this system.

Maybe sort of like the jav for the archer class. A melee/ranged hybrid. Flintlock in hand, cutlass in other (or vice versa). Stab/slash/overhead with your cutlass, when things get hairy, shoot your flintlock. The fun part comes in with how and when you’re gonna pop that shot, because the reload time will kill you in close combat. This brings in a lot of strategy, I really like the idea.

• Absolutely agree. Give the pirate 8 shots on the flintlock and give it much shorter range. Give him 5 shots on the blunderbuss and nerf the damage a bit, but keep it’s range. So the pirate could then get a few shots off from range, then go into melee and get a solid shot from his flintlock to weaken a target and finish it with his boarding axe or cutlass. Then if that fight is over and he survives, he can reload his flintlock and be ready for another shock charge. This would make the pirate more similar to a javelin archer, which is a much more balanced class that requires more skill but is still viable and has its place in strategy on the battlefield.

• The pirates blunderbuss is actually quite ineffective at range. Yes you sometimes hit people but it deals very little damage. Its like 9 damage per pellet. The blunderbuss is a shotgun.

The pistole is very inaccurate. Whenever I hit someone at range its down to luck more than anything.

And stop saying “the flintlock” they are both flintlocks. It gets rather confusing as to what gun you are talking about.

• Yeah both of the pirate guns are very ineffective at range. The best way to use them is to hide behind your melee and use it like a shotgun. These guns work much different than other ranged weapons, in that they fire a lot of low damage projectiles. So yes, you’re getting hits far away, but most likely they’re doing between 10-30 damage.

I like the idea for the pistol, though, as currently the blunderbuss is basically a direct upgrade to the pistol.

• @Event:

Yeah both of the pirate guns are very ineffective at range. The best way to use them is to hide behind your melee and use it like a shotgun. These guns work much different than other ranged weapons, in that they fire a lot of low damage projectiles. So yes, you’re getting hits far away, but most likely they’re doing between 10-30 damage.

I like the idea for the pistol, though, as currently the blunderbuss is basically a direct upgrade to the pistol.

The pistole is a high powered mostly-reliable sniper rifle if used in conjunction with crouch. I’d like to see the pistole kept pretty much as it is, or even nerfed in as a sniper rifle, while the blunderbuss has the mid range near-guaranteed finisher removed (At the moment, it is an instant unblockable vanguard charge that can hit you from 30 meters away, adjusting for shields.)

• From my experience with the game both the blundersomething and the flintlock both have ridiculous range and damage.

And stop saying “the flintlock” they are both flintlocks. It gets rather confusing as to what gun you are talking about.

Sorry I confused you, your highness.

• Developer

They are also both muzzleloaders. Blunderbusses were known as “Deck-Sweepers” They were meant to be shotguns, often firing random metal garbage if i understand correctly.

• Here’s a nice video about how you load a blunderbuss, just thought… just thought I should share it, you know. In case we are discussing the nerfing of the blunderbuss and think a longer reload time it appropriate.

3jh38eMoLPg

• @SavageBeatings:

Here’s a nice video about how you load a blunderbuss, just thought… just thought I should share it, you know. In case we are discussing the nerfing of the blunderbuss and think a longer reload time it appropriate.

3jh38eMoLPg

The blunderbuss did have a faster reload time than most gun powder weapons that came after. You could fire 5 rounds a minute with that thing on average while the musket used from the 17th to 19th century could barely do 3 rounds a minute.

In this game the parts misses out a step of putting the gunpowder in the pan. He also seems to use a pre built “cartridge” of shot and gunpowder. Which you can make with thin paper that’s been shoved in gunpowder. Then you put more gunpowder and shot in it and scrunch it all up. You do have to put it in the right way though. If you put it in upside down it either won’t go of for you end up killing yourself.

• Yeah, I’ve been watching a bunch of videos about reloading black powder firearms x) Easiest for a pirate would of course be the pre-measured cartridge which you just bite the top off, then pour it down the muzzle, and ram the paper and the ball in there with the ramrod. In many other videos, they fill the pan with a separate container of gunpowder which looks like a horn. They also either do this before the ball, then close the pan, or they do it after the ball before they go full cock. To avoid the risk of any naked flame or spark getting in the pan while you are reloading and blowing up in your hands.

I also guess a blunderbuss could be faster because it’s not as long as a musket. Watching musket reloads, they have the same reloading process but the rest it on the ground and have a bit harder time getting the ramrod in since it’s just as long as the musket, especially if it’s a reload on the go.

But I think the blunderbuss reloading animation in Deadliest Warrior should be longer and therefore it can include pouring black powder in the pan as well.