Samurai

• Samurai imo needs a slight buff. Nothing major, just slight. Very slight, not sure what but I think it’s the most underpowered class right now.

Also tha katana overhead animations are messed up, the attacks strike almost an inch away to the right.

Other than that keep up the good work.

• I think the biggest problem for the samurai at the moment is the fact that there is no Shimazu Clan emblem in the game.

• If he needs a buff, I would also agree it needs to be EXTREMELY slight.

Second tankiest class for people who want slightly more DPS over health than the knight.

I think he needs a buff to his fun factor though. The draw attack should be more effective. Remove it’s ability to be unflinchable, allow people to cancel their attack recoveries with it to switch up their assault on the fly, and make it flashier/more awesome please. Even if it means giving in to Hollywood realism.

Also give the wakizashi draw attack tracers. You can’t hit with it (at all).

• @Derpasaur:

If he needs a buff, I would also agree it needs to be EXTREMELY slight.

Second tankiest class for people who want slightly more DPS over health than the knight.

I think he needs a buff to his fun factor though. The draw attack should be more effective. Remove it’s ability to be unflinchable, allow people to cancel their attack recoveries with it to switch up their assault on the fly, and make it flashier/more awesome please. Even if it means giving in to Hollywood realism.

Also give the wakizashi draw attack tracers. You can’t hit with it (at all).

I think the alt overhead katana animation is perfect for the draw attack, with slight tweaks and higher speed. That is basically what an iaijutsu strike would look like anyway, not the weird “draw slowly, flip the blade over and strike downward” stuff.

• I’d like a way to sheathe the katana. Possibly make it so you regen stamina quicker while sheathed. That’ll allow the draw attacks to be used at will/give incentive for using them, as well as giving samurai something a bit more special, like pirate’s rum/viking berserk/ninja roll.

Either that or allow the draw attack to be performed somehow without having to switch to a different weapon. It makes it rather predictable when I see someone change weapons, and is only really viable if using 2 katanas. I suppose if you’re using the Yumi bow then change when the enemy gets near it has a purpose, but after the initial engagement there’s not much purpose for it at the moment.

• Along with the ninja, he needs a way to deal with arrows and guns. I think all classes should have a way to deal with projectiles, given how powerful and prevalent they are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4Sc3UvCN4M

Having just a couple shooters camping ledges/buildings or shooting from different angles takes too much focus away from the best aspect of the game - good melee combat. These aren’t your historical flintlocks that shoot 3 times a minute at most, misfire, that have to be carefully reloaded or you spill your blackpowder and shot eveywhere. You get hit once, and if you weren’t outright instagibbed, you’re out of the fight for 30 seconds to a minute (hiding in safety to regen, then having to travel back to the action). Or you could just do a samurai charge after taking a shot and die to the first melee hit you take.

I’m all for keeping the uber-powerful, instagib, run-and-gun shotty-sniper cannons we have here provided there’s a fun way to mitigate/avoid the damage. Projectiles made Vanguards unplayable in competitive LTS matches, and it’ll be even worse here. It kind of sucks the joy out of the game when you have classes that have no way of dealing with projectiles, specifically the ones that matter (arrows/bolts/guns). So either have projectile parrying, or a standard kenjutsu/kendo shuffle that has projectile invincibility/deflection frames like in the console Deadliest Warrior games.

• Just give every class some sort of weak throwing weapon.

• @Naleaus:

I’d like a way to sheathe the katana. Possibly make it so you regen stamina quicker while sheathed. That’ll allow the draw attacks to be used at will/give incentive for using them, as well as giving samurai something a bit more special, like pirate’s rum/viking berserk/ninja roll.

Either that or allow the draw attack to be performed somehow without having to switch to a different weapon. It makes it rather predictable when I see someone change weapons, and is only really viable if using 2 katanas. I suppose if you’re using the Yumi bow then change when the enemy gets near it has a purpose, but after the initial engagement there’s not much purpose for it at the moment.

This

• @j3st:

Along with the ninja, he needs a way to deal with arrows and guns. I think all classes should have a way to deal with projectiles, given how powerful and prevalent they are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4Sc3UvCN4M

Having just a couple shooters camping ledges/buildings or shooting from different angles takes too much focus away from the best aspect of the game - good melee combat. These aren’t your historical flintlocks that shoot 3 times a minute at most, misfire, that have to be carefully reloaded or you spill your blackpowder and shot eveywhere. You get hit once, and if you weren’t outright instagibbed, you’re out of the fight for 30 seconds to a minute (hiding in safety to regen, then having to travel back to the action). Or you could just do a samurai charge after taking a shot and die to the first melee hit you take.

I’m all for keeping the uber-powerful, instagib, run-and-gun shotty-sniper cannons we have here provided there’s a fun way to mitigate/avoid the damage. Projectiles made Vanguards unplayable in competitive LTS matches, and it’ll be even worse here. It kind of sucks the joy out of the game when you have classes that have no way of dealing with projectiles, specifically the ones that matter (arrows/bolts/guns). So either have projectile parrying, or a standard kenjutsu/kendo shuffle that has projectile invincibility/deflection frames like in the console Deadliest Warrior games.

Projectile parrying!? lol

• It was still in the game a couple builds ago, we barely had the time to play with it.

• @j3st:

It was still in the game a couple builds ago, we barely had the time to play with it.

It is still in the game. You can only parry throwables - that was actually always the case.

• If anything I think Spartans are more underpowered than Samurai.

• @SlyGoat:

@j3st:

It was still in the game a couple builds ago, we barely had the time to play with it.

It is still in the game. You can only parry throwables - that was actually always the case.

I’ll just leave this here:
    @SlyGoat:

@High:

Wow, that’s awesome, regardless of realism. Do you guys know of any other weapons or classes that can do so?

Any class can parry any projectile right now. Not sure if it’ll be staying like that. Parrying bullets is a little weird :P

• @SlyGoat:

Any class can parry any projectile right now. Not sure if it’ll be staying like that. Parrying bullets is a little weird :P

@SlyGoat:

I mean I’m not sure if it’ll be staying for all projectiles. Javelins, bullets, arrows for example.

When I read that, I sat in training mode for hours trying to get arrow/bullet parries to work. Hate

Either way, I think bullet/javelin/arrow parrying should be enabled until we get the chance to playtest it properly. If it works out, it could mean a lot for having more class diversity in competitive play going forward.

• Just a bug regarding Samurai on the latest build. Hope ye ol Devs see this.

When you equipt the ‘Horned’ Samurai Helmet. When your helmet gets knocked off (Archer headshots or something) The helmet falls off, so the horns remain.

You become the Samurai Rabbit :D

• Yeah, my bad on that previous statement. Tibbs led me to believe it was for all projectiles, turns out it’s just throwables :P

• I think what would be cool is a short windup sprinting slice. Like a banzai charge attack, the samurai already has his hands in the air when at max speed. I think it would be cool to have.

• They got rid of the slow down on release. YAY! Samurai is now like my vanguard, and he is my fav :]