Queries about gameplay mechanics

• So we’ve all noticed some different gameplay mechanics that were added in DW, and I want to know what their function in the grand scheme of the game is? Are they there to prevent abuses or unwanted player behaviors?
    Some changes such as:
    Movement speed is faster
    Long reach weapons slow your movement speed during release
    Random deviation of ranged weapons
    Smaller release window(?) potentially just animations, it feels like attacks are far less draggable. At least, stab attacks are very short release window.
    Sweet spot in tracers
    …if there are anymore, please feel free to add and discuss. This isn’t a balance thread, it is a discussion of mechanics and their function in the game. What these mechanics seek to do, and how well do they do it, and is it FUN?

This thread is intended to analyze how these gameplay changes interact with each other, either through individual experience with playing them, and to discuss whether or not you like or dislike some of these changes and why.

What I’ve notice during my play is that a combination of all these mechanics makes gameplay very jousty. Players are less inclined to attempt to parry attacks so much as just sprint away from attacks (similar to Vanguard dancing back in MW, before being parried locked out sprint). The increased movement speed reduces the effectiveness of feints (arguably good, I sort of like that), but similarly reduces the value of combo’ing your attacks to the point where it’s usually better to not combo and just re-engage (joust).
    This is especially true of the samurai, who when wielding the Nodachi can only combo if the target they hit was directly next to them, otherwise a combination of the opponent being bounced by the hit and reduced movement speed during the attack guarantees your targets escape of the next attack in the combo. I might also add, being that I play primarily vanguard in MW, that range play is a huge part of my style of play, being able to stay at the tip of my weapons reach and give powerful hits with just the tip. I personally feel that large two handers giving movement penalties is a mistake and kills much of this style of play, on top of the increased run speed which allows fast gains in gap closing.

The movement speed also seems to interact poorly with the collision radius, often it feels that players slip around me when I’m doing an overhead attack face to face, especially since I cannot follow them with the attack due to what feels like shorter release windows (thus less dragging to follow the target).

Also, I’m largely not a fan of the random deviation on throwing weapons. I can understand why you might want it on the blunderbuss if the pirate is sprinting while shooting, or the pistole/yumi bow, but random deviation on throwing knives feels like a gamble trying to use them (except for ninja who doesn’t seem to be effected by this).

The sweet spot on the tracers is a very good idea, but I don’t think most players will understand when they are hitting with the sweet spot as there is no visual or audio cue as to when that sweet spot occurs. This mechanic is something I’ve even pointed out to testers and they didn’t know it was even a thing. I’ve also noticed on the alt attacks, the sweet spot (red tracers) show up much later in the animation than in the regular attacks, resulting in have to drag significantly to make alt swings red tracer hit. So far, this mechanic is one of my favorites, as it attempts to remove some potency from spamming accelerated attacks. I think hitting in the blue should actually be more reduced than it already is, and keep green / red roughly the same. The purpose of accelerated attacks in my mind should be to steal initiative through flinch, not to punish with intense damage output.

• I also like the sweet spot mechanic, but I want there to be longer release windows and the same movement speed as vanilla Chiv. Basically the most effective way to rack up kills in DW is to run around hitting people with single strikes. You hit them in the back, sprint away a few meters, kite them around until they attack out of range (b/c you can move quickly out of their range), then lunge back in and hit them again.

• @Gauntlet:

The sweet spot on the tracers is a very good idea, but I don’t think most players will understand when they are hitting with the sweet spot as there is no visual or audio cue as to when that sweet spot occurs.

Actually if you listen very closely, you can hear slight differences I believe, but they do need to be more pronounced.

Also as a side thought, what do you guys think of certain weapons not doing damage in blue tracers to knights? Examples would be slash or other types of damage that knights are resistant to. It would kind of simulate the sword not being fast enough to cut through the armor, and instead bounce off the armor and do no damage.

• @Event:

@Gauntlet:

The sweet spot on the tracers is a very good idea, but I don’t think most players will understand when they are hitting with the sweet spot as there is no visual or audio cue as to when that sweet spot occurs.

Actually if you listen very closely, you can hear slight differences I believe, but they do need to be more pronounced.

Also as a side thought, what do you guys think of certain weapons not doing damage in blue tracers to knights? Examples would be slash or other types of damage that knights are resistant to. It would kind of simulate the sword not being fast enough to cut through the armor, and instead bounce off the armor and do no damage.

31g0YE61PLQ

I truly felt this way after reading the second part.

I agree that certain sweet spot differences need to be more pronounced, and as far as I know they’re working on it. So that’s cool :).

• Developer

The audio cues for sweet spot are subtle. Blue hits make armor only sound, green hits a mix of armor and gore, red hits gore only, with volume level overall increasing accordingly.

• @sir_loin:

The audio cues for sweet spot are subtle. Blue hits make armor only sound, green hits a mix of armor and gore, red hits gore only, with volume level overall increasing accordingly.

Did not know that, that’s pretty cool.