Y U so mad over a kick? (not the vote kick)

• Hi again, my friends.

I know I’m not the only one who finds it entertaining to deliver an affection foot punch to my teammates and idle players in classic duel servers. I see it all the time, and when it’s done to me I just look at it more like slappin your buddy on the back as a gesture of encouragement, or harmless messin’ around. Sometimes it flares up a kick party between 4 or 5 players, which gets me laughing histerically. I’ve had teammates at the start of a TO map give me a kick then use the “Forward” voice command. I’ve kicked and been kicked off ledges for foolishly standing there. It’s so tempting and so very funny.

Nearly half the time I offer a love tap, the receiving player goes for blood. I often get blatantly team killed for it, which really feels like an overreaction. They then type some variation of “Don’t kick me, asshole” into chat. I usually leave those players alone, because they’re clearly just not in the mood.

I get it. It can be frustrating when you’re actually trying to play the game and have some sort of plan that gets crushed by your idiot teammate who just wants to mess around. It’s frustrating when you ask someone to stop and they persist. If I’m really making someone’s day THAT bad, I stop. I will respect your desire to play the game as seriously as you wish. It’s not my place to deny you of that.

On the other hand, I think it’s rather extreme and with a sense of entitlement that a player whips around and murders someone for simply kicking him - or even better - casts a vote kick on the first “offense”. I do most of my goofing around on public servers where players generally don’t listen or try to strategize and go for the objective, so I don’t understand how it could be taken so seriously anyway.

Thoughts?

• @lejosh:

Hi again, my friends.

I know I’m not the only one who finds it entertaining to deliver an affection foot punch to my teammates and idle players in classic duel servers. I see it all the time, and when it’s done to me I just look at it more like slappin your buddy on the back as a gesture of encouragement, or harmless messin’ around. Sometimes it flares up a kick party between 4 or 5 players, which gets me laughing histerically. I’ve had teammates at the start of a TO map give me a kick then use the “Forward” voice command. I’ve kicked and been kicked off ledges for foolishly standing there. It’s so tempting and so very funny.

Nearly half the time I offer a love tap, the receiving player goes for blood. I often get blatantly team killed for it, which really feels like an overreaction. They then type some variation of “Don’t kick me, asshole” into chat. I usually leave those players alone, because they’re clearly just not in the mood.

I get it. It can be frustrating when you’re actually trying to play the game and have some sort of plan that gets crushed by your idiot teammate who just wants to mess around. It’s frustrating when you ask someone to stop and they persist. If I’m really making someone’s day THAT bad, I stop. I will respect your desire to play the game as seriously as you wish. It’s not my place to deny you of that.

On the other hand, I think it’s rather extreme and with a sense of entitlement that a player whips around and murders someone for simply kicking him - or even better - casts a vote kick on the first “offense”. I do most of my goofing around on public servers where players generally don’t listen or try to strategize and go for the objective, so I don’t understand how it could be taken so seriously anyway.

Thoughts?

Depends on the situation. Sometimes I get mad too. For example kicking me while having a duel results in the kicker losing limbs.
    If someone kicks me for a reason, like I’m idling too long or accidentally hit him, I’m like: “I earned it.” And I let him get away with it.
    But I hate it if my teammates in TO have a kick battle in the spawn instead of helping their team.

• Totally agree, nothing worse than kicking your team mate at the start of the game and then getting vote kicked for 100% team damage.

• @PandaChef:

Totally agree, nothing worse than kicking your team mate at the start of the game and then getting vote kicked for 100% team damage.

Easy way to avoid that: don’t kick your team mates.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

@PandaChef:

Totally agree, nothing worse than kicking your team mate at the start of the game and then getting vote kicked for 100% team damage.

+1

• Also…
    Nothing gets me more mad than getting kicked by a rookie troll while I’m king and trying to get my HP back before the next wave coming

• @rumpelstiltskin:

@PandaChef:

You’re absolutely right. But that kind of reaction is the extreme behavior I’m talking about. Two things are happening here: 1) A player is attempting to get rid of what he perceives to be a problem - getting kicked by a teammate and nothing else. 2) That same player is abusing the vote system simply because he was mildly inconvenienced for a moment.

• I don’t kick absolute randoms. It depends who It is. Who can take it. Players that you have played with before.

If we all get stuck in a doorway we’ll all kick each other. Its quite funny seeing 5 dudes kicking the shit out of each other as we all got wedged in a doorway.

• I just love messing with the physics engine. Kicking people in the back while sprinting makes them fly like birdies deranged giggle :P .

• Depends on what’s been happening before the kick, I suppose. If someone just got tked in a fight, respawns, and you kick them at spawn for a laugh, I can see why start swinging (not necessarily justifiable, I could just see that happening).

Also if I’m lining up a shot and some ally kicks me because “I’m an archer/I’ve been standing still too long” then yeah they’re probably going to be hit by a mysterious crossbow-bolt shaped object later when they’re in the middle of a fight.

• I hate it when people kick me while I’m trying to sprint somewhere.
    And people who kick me while I am on the cata? They die.

• If you kick me more than once in a row I am going to smack you over the head with the sharp side of my sword.

• My so called “friends” likes to kick me off the wall on hillside, I have no clue why. :I

• @dudeface:

And people who kick me while I am on the cata? They die.

I had to restrain myself the other day from a guy who kicked me off the battering ram just to get on it right after. Why did you do that, ass?

I used my critical thinking skills here, though… not a lot of time to just push that ram, so I let him have it. Adulthood is fucking hard.

• Somebody kicking me in a friendly server is of course no biggie. People actually bitch about that? Thank god I haven’t encountered any of those kind of guys.

BUT, onto the issue here:

If I were to be killed by a supposedly “friendly” kick today, it certainly wouldn’t be the first.

I remember being in one hell of a duel with somebody once in a friendly LTS server.
    The opponent I was facing was the last of his team, and of my team there were still about 4 knights left.
    Needless to say they all crouched so the final enemy and I could 1v1, and all went pretty awesome.
    Probably even the best duel I ever had.
    But THEN some douche of my own team thought it’d be hilarious to kick me. Instant death.
    I had 1 hp left and I’m pretty sure the opponent had too. I died because of my teammate’s lame ass humour.

Some people found it funny, but thank god most people found it seriously uncool and we all votekicked mr. foot out of the server.
    He probably meant to just push me forward to hurry it up a bit but killed me instead. I sure as hell didn’t find it amusing.

THAT’S what I find frustrating when it comes to friendly kicks. It’s when people don’t know when NOT to press F.

• @Rickvs:

Somebody kicking me in a friendly server is of course no biggie. People actually bitch about that? Thank god I haven’t encountered any of those kind of guys.

BUT, onto the issue here:

If I were to be killed by a supposedly “friendly” kick today, it certainly wouldn’t be the first.

I remember being in one hell of a duel with somebody once in a friendly LTS server.
    The opponent I was facing was the last of his team, and of my team there were still about 4 knights left.
    Needless to say they all crouched so the final enemy and I could 1v1, and all went pretty awesome.
    Probably even the best duel I ever had.
    But THEN some douche of my own team thought it’d be hilarious to kick me. Instant death.
    I had 1 hp left and I’m pretty sure the opponent had too. I died because of my teammate’s lame ass humour.

Some people found it funny, but thank god most people found it seriously uncool and we all votekicked mr. foot out of the server.
    He probably meant to just push me forward to hurry it up a bit but killed me instead. I sure as hell didn’t find it amusing.

THAT’S what I find frustrating when it comes to friendly kicks. It’s when people don’t know when NOT to press F.

Good point Rickvs. You’re right. And in this particular case I think that guy used poor judgement.

• It really depends so much on the person’s mood. But generally the people I play with seem capable of taking a kick or two, not that I have never been voted kick on after kicking someone and then being brutally TK’d to death. Because I have. It just happens with some people.

Also, players just starting out might not be aware that kick doesn’t exactly deal considerable amounts of damage and as they see their screen go red, they think they’re being TK’d and act in self-defense… so to say.

• @Jon:

Also, players just starting out might not be aware that kick doesn’t exactly deal considerable amounts of damage and as they see their screen go red, they think they’re being TK’d and act in self-defense… so to say.

Yeah, I actually remember that happening to me long long ago.

• Kicking random strangers at a server is just annoying.
    I personally wouldn’t care if it’s done once but it gets tiring after the fourth or fifth time.
    I’d be asking them to stop… but that never yields any success… after which they generally get the bench at the start of the round after meeting my staff.

Cheers.

• If they attack you for kicking them, attack them back.