Training For New Players

• Well, I’ve put in 1,700+ hours into this game and would like to help anyone struggling to learn the basics (or even more difficult mechanics). You can contact me on steam and we practice on a classic duel server :)

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/fauch23/

• So your full time job for the last year was playing Chivalry?

You should charge for training.

• Stan looking for validation.

• @Daiyuki:

Stan looking for validation.

Do you have to put a negative spin on everything? I just want to help noobs :| Maybe I can stop a few people from quitting the game by helping them understand the mechanics. I help noobs anyway when I’m in duel servers, might as well let them know I’m out there. Feel free to join me helping noobs. Sheeesh

I’ve played 1,700+ hours of this game, the validation is the fun I have playing it. It’s pretty much the only game I’ve played for a whole year…so yeah. I managed 1,700 hours while holding a part time job at a law firm and attending college.

If you want help, contact me. If you don’t, shut the fuck up and worry about yourself.

• nice of you to want to help new players and all. but calling them noobs sounds like you have a dim view of new players.

• This must be his idea of a social life.

• Sigh…semantics, but let’s go there anyway. By “noob” I strictly mean new player.

• @bootyhorn:

This must be his idea of a social life.

Ok, forget it. Try to help people and all they do is act like douche bags in return.

I didn’t think trying to help new players would cause such an uproar. :|

• Stan, don’t let them discourage you for trying to do a good thing. When you put yourself out there, people will inevitably find a way to tear you down, usually because they don’t have the guts to take a risk themselves. Haters gon’ hate.

I think it’s really cool of you to offer help to newcomers, and calling them “noobs” in this context didn’t sound at all like you were putting them down or expressing a dim view of new players.

You’re able to work, attend school, and still find time to play Chiv. I don’t know how a person could be more responsible. I work full time at a NOC and I’m teaching myself web dev on the side. I’m looking for a career change within the next year ;)

So keep at it! The community needs more positive members willing to offer something. I’m level 35, but you have significantly more hours logged. Maybe you could show me a thing or two.

• @lejosh:

Stan, don’t let them discourage you for trying to do a good thing. When you put yourself out there, people will inevitably find a way to tear you down, usually because they don’t have the guts to take a risk themselves. Haters gon’ hate.

I think it’s really cool of you to offer help to newcomers, and calling them “noobs” in this context didn’t sound at all like you were putting them down or expressing a dim view of new players.

You’re able to work, attend school, and still find time to play Chiv. I don’t know how a person could be more responsible. I work full time at a NOC and I’m teaching myself web dev on the side. I’m looking for a career change within the next year ;)

So keep at it! The community needs more positive members willing to offer something. I’m level 35, but you have significantly more hours logged. Maybe you could show me a thing or two.

Thx :D Would be more than happy to add you on steam and help you out if possible. My steam profile is attached to my first post if you’re interested.

• It’s great that your trying to help new players Stan. I have trained some new players a couple of times and it’s actually very enjoyable, glad to know that other people are trying to help them.

• I also think it’s a good gesture from you. Good for the community, I don’t personally understand some of the reactions here :).

• This is an excellent idea!

You could also host a small server (with a password ofc), and when someones PM you for training/advice you could invite them to the game and practice.

You’d be the first guy to open a Chivalry school ;).

• @Vesanus:

This is an excellent idea!

You could also host a small server (with a password ofc), and when someones PM you for training/advice you could invite them to the game and practice.

There is not much point to teaching new players. Generally most of the skills learnt in chivalry have to be accumulated through experience. Sure you can teach gimmicks but solid technique comes from practice and understanding both sides of the equation; yourself and your opponent.

All you can do is teach them the very basics and then send them into the chivalry world to gain their experience whether it be team modes or skill modes.

• Stan.

Are you really going to let people stop you from doing something nice and that benefits the community? Not to mention that the many cries of those who would love help far out weigh those that have 0 real reasoning for trying to put you down.

The thing that is a common factor among all video game communities is that everyone forgets that they were a “noob” once. It seems that once you get to a certain “level” of playing, you seem to forget your beginnings and trash those that are still in the process.

What people don’t realize is that by helping “noobs”, you not only strengthen the skill level of them, but also of the community. The better all the players become, the better the community gets. If you teach players the “good” and “bad” of a game, it can prevent them from doing things as team killing or allow them to work together better as a team.

How many times have you all played Team Objective and wished your team mates worked together better? Maybe a reason for that is because they don’t understand everything or don’t know all the tips of how to properly set up positions or anything related.

I commend you for trying to help out those of lesser skills or those that have just begun. I know I try my part at least when I’m on the servers. I think we all shall, but it seems a lot of people are too far into trying to gain a victory in one game instead of helping towards a victory for the whole community.

Keep at it Stan. :)

• @trooper:

@Vesanus:

There is not much point to teaching new players. Generally most of the skills learnt in chivalry have to be accumulated through experience. Sure you can teach gimmicks but solid technique comes from practice and understanding both sides of the equation; yourself and your opponent.

All you can do is teach them the very basics and then send them into the chivalry world to gain their experience whether it be team modes or skill modes.

I still think teaching new players is a usefull thing. You can:

• Tell them what they can expect from this game.
    • Tell what they need to watch out for, what is good for them.
    • Explain weapon statistics (dmg, speed, length, blunt weps on knights, sword weps on light classes, etc)
    • Tactics
    • delays, accelerations, feints, kicks, ripostes…
    • and much more…

Of course players can play on their own but then there is a bigger chance that they will just quit the game (ragequit, lack of understanding the game) - and we do want a big playerbase! Also with a solid/special training and explained stuff, a newbie can become a hero faster.

• @Keith:

Stan.

Are you really going to let people stop you from doing something nice and that benefits the community? Not to mention that the many cries of those who would love help far out weigh those that have 0 real reasoning for trying to put you down.

The thing that is a common factor among all video game communities is that everyone forgets that they were a “noob” once. It seems that once you get to a certain “level” of playing, you seem to forget your beginnings and trash those that are still in the process.

What people don’t realize is that by helping “noobs”, you not only strengthen the skill level of them, but also of the community. The better all the players become, the better the community gets. If you teach players the “good” and “bad” of a game, it can prevent them from doing things as team killing or allow them to work together better as a team.

How many times have you all played Team Objective and wished your team mates worked together better? Maybe a reason for that is because they don’t understand everything or don’t know all the tips of how to properly set up positions or anything related.

I commend you for trying to help out those of lesser skills or those that have just begun. I know I try my part at least when I’m on the servers. I think we all shall, but it seems a lot of people are too far into trying to gain a victory in one game instead of helping towards a victory for the whole community.

Keep at it Stan. :)

Thx for the support :D

@trooper:

@Vesanus:

Yeah, experience is a big part of it. We could also play in pubs together. But there’s basic stuff like turning 90 degrees to either side to block a polearm swing that many new players don’t realize. Heck I didn’t know you had to turn until rank 30-35 I think o.O Believing that the blocks are just going through your parries I’m sure discourages people and leads them to believe the game just has a “broken blocking system”. I would also like to link Hexen’s videos on here because he does a great job of explaining the basics as well. (I don’t mean this to be a plug for Hexen, but they’re very informative videos).

Hexan-A Mechanical Guide To Combat 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot1CyH_AnMM

• Stan, I think your doing a good thing.

Even though the word has shifted in meaning in more recent years, I believe the correct word you’re looking for is newbie or novice. Or newcomer as you previously said.

• fuck em man, i have about 1800 hours, i have a full time job making probably more than they will in their lifetime… and i have an active social life as well, i work out at the gym, etc etc.

who cares what people think. I as well put a lot of hours into this game, but it’s been the only game i’ve been playing since like october so almost an entire year. If it weren’t this game, i’d be putting hours into some other game and had the same amount of hours playing video games because i’m a video gamer, always have been.

Fuck the haters man. They’re reading the forums for this game that playing it means you have no life i guess… so why are you reading the forums? lol

• Point is, new players aren’t going to come to this thread. It’s literally just stan going “look at me!” again. You can help new players all you want, and every competitive player has helped at least one new player get better over the course of their playtime, but you’ll have much greater results going to random servers and offering your advice and real-time practice like I do than you will making a stupid thread.