Customization changes. Too extreme, little effect

• It just looks bad now. Black is light grey and dark navy blue is now baby blue.

The top row are what it is now.

The middle row is what it was.

The bottom Row is what it should be.

And I still got mistaken as a light grey vanguard for being Blue on citadel. And that’s the only place where it happened.

People forgetting what team they are own happened more than misidentification.

• Totally agree Lemon.

When I was testing the beta the only the MaA had the terrible light grey colour so I assumed that was the exception. I didn’t realise all classes were getting the terrible light grey.

Hotfix!!

• Yep. You nailed it on those colors. Bottom one was the one I was expecting based on what they were saying. Now the colors look terrible. C’mon guys, this is getting ridiculous.

• what?
    The black is even darker now and the blue is like the one at the bottom. . . I’m not sure about you but my previous dark blue colours on my characters got set to the light blue one with the patch so I had to change them back. When you try to customize a FFA character you notice that the medium blue and dark blue are almost the same colour (dark one is a tad bit darker) meaning it’s not light blue at all.

• @Dr:

Hotfix!!

Sweet, only 2.5 months before anything happens to remedy this :).

To be fair they still update more per year than I do my taxes. That’s a compliment right?

• They even made it so your crosshair goes blue when you look at a team mate.

That’s all they really needed. People actually got used to the colours now.

• @lemonater47:

They even made it so your crosshair goes blue when you look at a team mate.

That’s all they really needed. People actually got used to the colours now.

Yep. Very disappointing.

• @Dr:

Hotfix!!

Torn Banner does not do such a thing.

But I agree: Change it back! The crosshair change should be sufficient.

• I just don’t know why they won’t add the option to disable customization entirely, it doesn’t seem like a hard task to do.
    Now they’re just limiting the customization choices.

• Yeah, I agree, they made the dark colours too bright :(

• @Alyx:

I just don’t know why they won’t add the option to disable customization entirely.

Because this would run against the very idea of customization: You want decide how others see you model. If they could turn it off at will customization would be a fake feature.

Maybe they should add two additional colors per faction (making it 6 choices):

Mason: black, crimson (the basic Mason colors - a shame that the first was removed and the second not even made it into the choices)
    Agatha: dark blue, light grey (we got this nice crosshair feature now - so why not?)

• As far as i played this game, i’ve never been confused by players’ indistinguishable colours. I don’t understand people complaining about it, because only vanguards have similar model in either side.
    For this reason, i’m clearly againist any changes in customization.

• @S0ldier:

As far as i played this game, i’ve never been confused by players’ indistinguishable colours. I don’t understand people complaining about it, because only vanguards have similar model in either side.

At this point, the majority of us are. We’re wholeheartedly against these changes.

• @Sidewinder:

@S0ldier:

As far as i played this game, i’ve never been confused by players’ indistinguishable colours. I don’t understand people complaining about it, because only vanguards have similar model in either side.

At this point, the majority of us are. We’re wholeheartedly against these changes.

I agree!!

• @Peter:

@Sidewinder:

@S0ldier:

I agree!!

Remember when customization first came out and there were mass complaints about TKing. The reasonable individuals said we’d have to get used to it, the complainers said it was the fault of the colors. Well, we got used to it over the course of the past 2 months and now it’s not an issue… and THEN it got fixed :). Can’t fault them for “fixing” it though, at least they actually did it and listened to players. Say what you will about the timing…

I do agree the effects were too extreme, and that grey you posted (is it actually the gray in game?) is only at 50% according to Photoshop (which reads color profiles correctly and allows little room for error in that regard). 50% gray is a mid-tone and black is the darkest possible value. Mid tones will appear fairly bright in this game, due to it’s darker atmospheres and the relative property of color (colors next to colors hugely impact how they look, it’s all relative). While I don’t believe the black in the game should be true black, as it pretty much was before (which rarely occurs naturally to the human eye) I think it could stand to be darker by about 25-30%, which looks like what you did there. It’s kind of hard to judge colors against a white background, but the comparison/suggestions for what you’ve done looks pretty good.

• It actually showed up a tad lighter when I uploaded it. In gimp which is like photoshop but free I pretty much took screenshots and used the dropper tool to get the colours. But it is a bit lighter here than the image is on my hard drive.

• @Evil:

Because this would run against the very idea of customization: You want decide how others see you model. If they could turn it off at will customization would be a fake feature.

That makes no sense at all, a feature is a feature whether or not you can turn it on or off makes no difference.

• @Alyx:

@Evil Minion:

That makes no sense at all, a feature is a feature whether or not you can turn it on or off makes no difference.

I am speaking of client side disabling. Server side is less of a problem - but its still a fake feature if you can’t use it.

Customization = You decide how you look ingame. If others can turn this off you cannot decide how you look ingame thus its fake. Its like being able to turn off the smoke from smoke pots.

• @Evil:

@Alyx York:

@Evil Minion:

I am speaking of client side disabling. Server side is less of a problem - but its still a fake feature if you can’t use it.

Customization = You decide how you look ingame. If others can turn this off you cannot decide how you look ingame thus its fake. Its like being able to turn off the smoke from smoke pots.

You can edit your client side files so smoke from smoke pots doesn’t show up…

• Its because of how black works. Little lesson on Black tints for peeps.

Blacks come in two forms, there is the absence of colour, which is your normal negative numbers on all colours, which produces a black. Then there is the black thats created with a deep mixing of every dark colour, and this is pure black.

The absence of colour black is what is commonly called black in an RGB colour scheme (Red, Green, Blue). When you print that black out, you’ll note the colour turns a light grey, rather then a traditional pure black. This is the same effect that happens when you apply it on graphics.

Pure black is a mixing of various CYMK (Cyan, Yellow, Magenta and Key (Black)). In graphic design, this is your normal print quality black, the pure black you see on billboards and such. Its also the black thats used in graphics. This black can be created in various ways, mixing the colours to certain percentages.

The pure black used by Torn Banner in the game used a high percentage blue to create it. This is what resulted in the blue shine that occasionally happened on various peoples computers, and caused people to think it was a dark dark blue in battle. It also happened whenever a wet effect graphics (blood) was applied to the black, as you could then clearly see the blue tint.

In answer to this, Torn Banner has fallen back on the RGB black, which is an absence of colour black. This solves the problem where the black has any form of hue to it, but it does create the issue that when the games textures and graphics are placed into a published format, the black turns into a dark grey, and not a pure black.

So what we have here is a black that is technically black, but in a published format, does not look like black at all.

My answer to this issue, as a part-time graphic designer (Had training, but I ended up going the IT route), would have been to create a deep red black. This simply means replacing the blue tint that was the overwhelming percentage for the original black, with a red tint. Meaning that when a wet effect is applied, or the shine is given off, the players would see a dark red, rather then a dark blue, and thus solve the problem of being confused and attacking their allies. Of course thats all kind of theoretical because I couldn’t have tested it on the game itself due to a lack of SDK’s.

The real answer, is to release the SDK already, and let people mod problem away so Torn Banner doesn’t have to deal with silly bugs like this anymore and can focus on adding content or something.