Dual Wielding

• I was really hyped to try dual wielding for the vikings, but it seems rather underwhelming overall. The double attack at the end of a combo is kinda nice, but the other advantage of faster combos seems completely unnoticeable. It seems like 1H + shield or 2H is the way to go currently.

The cool factor for dual wielding is great, but it really needs to be effective too.

• The speed gets progressively higher and higher, to the point where if you miss on purpose around the 4th combo, you get a guaranteed hit afterwards when they parry, with later hits being easier to chain due to the camera shaking effect and having little time to react.

You can also do mixups with the stab , as it can approach from the right or the left.

Dual wielding also has the versatility to instantly engage from any angle, without having to do much maneuvering for effectiveness. Maintain said angle of attack by going overhead/alt overhead -> slash -> overhead -> slash to stay with the side you started on.

An important thing to take into account is that doing a stab will reset your rage to what seems like 4 (as in, the rage that would have built up after 4 combos.)

At the moment, Damage and Speed (and damage type) seems to be related to the weapon in your right hand exclusively.

• I think the stab should be chopped up into stab and alt stab, so that you stab with only one weapon. Stabbing with both weapons at the same time, both drawing tracers, makes it difficult to land the stab around the targets parry, because the other tracer is drawing dead center to your other weapon which you’re trying to drag around the parry.

• You can tell even with the front loaded tracers on the second combo in a secondary (overhead) string that there’s potential for faster hitting combos in dual wielding than with a traditional secondary string.

@Gauntlet:

I think the stab should be chopped up into stab and alt stab, so that you stab with only one weapon. Stabbing with both weapons at the same time, both drawing tracers, makes it difficult to land the stab around the targets parry, because the other tracer is drawing dead center to your other weapon which you’re trying to drag around the parry.

This x 100. Granted the stab damage is pretty lame anyway.

If you want him to stab with both weapons, maybe something like .6x + .6y for the total damage value where x and y are the damages that would be inflicted by the primary and secondary respectively rather than what I think is .8x or so. That might compensate a bit for the ease with which it is parried. Ideally forcing the individual to parry both or take .6x or .6y damage if only one of them hits would be awesome but not sure how feasible that is.

• @Derpasaur:

The speed gets progressively higher and higher, to the point where if you miss on purpose around the 4th combo, you get a guaranteed hit afterwards when they parry, with later hits being easier to chain due to the camera shaking effect and having little time to react.

But that’s true even if you don’t dual wield. I’m hoping that the BASE combo speed for dual wielding is increased at least a noticeable amount over 1H + shield.

• @RushSecond:

@Derpasaur:

The speed gets progressively higher and higher, to the point where if you miss on purpose around the 4th combo, you get a guaranteed hit afterwards when they parry, with later hits being easier to chain due to the camera shaking effect and having little time to react.

But that’s true even if you don’t dual wield. I’m hoping that the BASE combo speed for dual wielding is increased at least a noticeable amount over 1H + shield.

Dual wielding base combo speed is indeed faster, but the difference may not be enough at the moment.

• I think the ability to just blast someone with a double overhead for increased recovery time would be better, useful for a finisher. Depends how the class is envisioned I suppose, but the combo thing definitely feels underwhelming and, worse, spammy. I am thinking one button to activate the special double overhead, but that could graduate into actual special attacks for different combinations of weapons, like a cool double-stab if you have two Norse Swords where one goes low and left and the other goes high and right (but obviously not so much that it just bypasses parries automatically).

Just add some flavor you know.

• IRL the best use of dual wielding is to throw a blow to two different areas (e.g. go for the head and the leg or a thrust and an overhead) to enemies who have only a single weapon to block with. They have to choose to block one or the other and can only hope to dodge or move away fast enough. It doesn’t work as well on shields or someone who’s also dual wielding.

Although dual wielding an axe and sword is awesome because you can hook the enemies’ shield or weapon with the axe and continue to attack with the sword. In this pic I’ve hooked my opponents buckler (I’m the guy on the right), you can’t see it very well but you can see that I’m pulling him backwards and off balance.

• @Dr:

IRL the best use of dual wielding is to throw a blow to two different areas (e.g. go for the head and the leg or a thrust and an overhead) to enemies who have only a single weapon to block with. They have to choose to block one or the other and can only hope to dodge or move away fast enough. It doesn’t work as well on shields or someone who’s also dual wielding.

[…]

Hence the part I said about the double-stabs.