Female Character Models

• Is there any way we could get these into the game? I think we can break from the realism for the sake of roughly 50% of the human race.

I can’t speak for women, but I know that it would affect me if I were to join a game where I couldn’t choose a male class.

It must totally break the immersion for a lot of female gamers, and I know of at least a couple girls personally who would be more inclined to play if they were able to customize their character to be female.

I understand it would require a whole lot of extra work (a lot), but might it be worth it? Maybe in an update later on down the line?

• Not sure about the immersion aspect, or… eh maybe I am, but I think some Female character customisations would be cool anyway, for those it made sense for. Female Knights a la Joan of Arc, Female Vikings like the warriormaidens. Female Kunoichi, Pirates, though not sure about Samurai. Definitely not Sparta as they were all guys.

• Well it breaks the immersion for me playing a female character, at times. I figured it goes both ways.

• You just wanna stare at butts.

• @Ma:

Definitely not Sparta as they were all guys.

I’d play that

• Well if there was an Amazonian class it would make sense.

It won’t work in the current context because historically women fighters were a tiny minority in ancient wars.

• Please no.

• Female character models would be cool! I would not be opposed to that. And why should you?

• I totally agree. I’ve always said despite whatever issues come up, TBS has always done a superb job of immersion. I think female models would increase immersion. Spike TV is a predominantly male audience, and they kind of pander to males in crude childish ways. I don’t think CDW has to be like that.

I’ve grown so accustomed to discrimination, objectification, and dismissive attitudes, that I mostly just hide away and “deal with it”. Having a female character model just adds more diversity and immersion. I wouldn’t expect for the character models to be different in terms of the size of the model, but having new animations and voices would be cool. Obviously having that at launch would be near impossible. I’m thinking maybe as another update for the game that later that adds them in. Even the most male testosterone filled environment game Call of Duty is getting female character models.

Just please don’t sex them up.

• But why? Does even HISTORY have to be politically correct and gender-equal now?

Christ.

• @Daiyuki:

But why? Does even HISTORY have to be politically correct and gender-equal now?

Christ.

I’m not really understanding your argument. It just feels like a knee jerk reaction. “I don’t like this, don’t do it!” It would still be just as you like, 95% of the characters running around will still be male characters. This fits more or less with “history”. I also agree that spartans should not get a female class, it just doesn’t fit.

Other than that, I’m just not seeing any detriment to the game from your arguments. How will adding female character models hurt the game?

• I enjoy shitstorms. How about you guys?

• @Damoiselle:

@Daiyuki:

Christ.

I’m not really understanding your argument. It just feels like a knee jerk reaction. “I don’t like this, don’t do it!” It would still be just as you like, 95% of the characters running around will still be male characters. This fits more or less with “history”. I also agree that spartans should not get a female class, it just doesn’t fit.

Other than that, I’m just not seeing any detriment to the game from your arguments. How will adding female character models hurt the game?

o.0 It won’t really. But it won’t help the game either, so why does it even matter? And I say it won’t really because the whole premise of Deadliest Warrior is taking well-known fighters from history and having them go at each other. My question is simply, why is it important to you to change history just to have a female in-game?

I don’t get it, it’s pointless and adds nothing.

• @Daiyuki:

@Damoiselle:

@Daiyuki:

Christ.

o.0 It won’t really. But it won’t help the game either, so why does it even matter? And I say it won’t really because the whole premise of Deadliest Warrior is taking well-known fighters from history and having them go at each other. My question is simply, why is it important to you to change history just to have a female in-game?

I am not proposing we “change history.” I’m proposing that women have the option to be a character they identify with in a video game. And more people playing helps you in the long run, whether they have boobs or not.

brb getting in time machine.

Perhaps it would matter more to you if you were a girl.

and are you advocating for a simulation game or a fun/successful game? Because I want the latter.

• @Footbeard:

I enjoy shitstorms. How about you guys?

I don’t think it has to be a shitstorm. Were all testers and mature adults. If someone has a different opinion that is fine. I just wanted an answer that reflected a level of maturity. I’m not going to shoot it down just because I disagree with it.

@Daiyuki:

I’m not a history major, and I won’t pretend to be. I don’t believe “because it wont help, or hinder” makes it worthless. I also don’t think female models being included in the game is such an egregious slap in the face to history. A few google searches show that female warriors did exist in a few different varieties. Some have already been listed in this thread.

The way I see it, like the Derp suggested, it is about immersion and variety. Chivalry to me is not a history simulator. What it is, is a video game simulating warrior combat. Inspired by a television show. A television show that combines different eras. By this alone the entire game doesn’t make sense if you just go by “history.” That is the whole point of why DW exists. To put together impossible match ups and make them a reality.

As far as what it adds is a layer of immersion, variety, and choice. The way you say, it adds nothing to the game. I bring up the comparison of why have any details in the environment at all that add to immersion? Why don’t we all just pick our classes, and only play on maps like moor. Using similar looking grey blobs. It’s all about the combat and reconstruction of history anyway right? It’s a ridiculous premise. Just because you feel like they serve no purpose and you can not relate, doesn’t mean others should be forced to feel the same way. It would be an extra option and takes away nothing from the game.

• @Damoiselle:

@Footbeard:

I enjoy shitstorms. How about you guys?

I don’t think it has to be a shitstorm. Were all testers and mature adults. If someone has a different opinion that is fine. I just wanted an answer that reflected a level of maturity. I’m not going to shoot it down just because I disagree with it.

@Daiyuki:

I’m not a history major, and I won’t pretend to be. I don’t believe “because it wont help, or hinder” makes it worthless. I also don’t think female models being included in the game is such an egregious slap in the face to history. A few google searches show that female warriors did exist in a few different varieties. Some have already been listed in this thread.

The way I see it, like the Derp suggested, it is about immersion and variety. Chivalry to me is not a history simulator. What it is, is a video game simulating warrior combat. Inspired by a television show. A television show that combines different eras. By this alone the entire game doesn’t make sense if you just go by “history.” That is the whole point of why DW exists. To put together impossible match ups and make them a reality.

As far as what it adds is a layer of immersion, variety, and choice. The way you say, it adds nothing to the game. I bring up the comparison of why have any details in the environment at all that add to immersion? Why don’t we all just pick our classes, and only play on maps like moor. Using similar looking grey blobs. It’s all about the combat and reconstruction of history anyway right? It’s a ridiculous premise. Just because you feel like they serve no purpose and you can not relate, doesn’t mean others should be forced to feel the same way. It would be an extra option and takes away nothing from the game.

I’m not ever going to be mature. I do, however, feel that this isn’t a question of immersion but one of choice. A player should be able to choose if he/she is a female or male character because it adds INTEREST to the game. People whinge that it’s not historically accurate and that may be true but there are tonnes of things ingame that aren’t accurate like being able to parry a maul with a dagger. These people then say ‘it’s gamebreaking not to have this mechanic’. Sure. Fair point. For many people, not being able to be a female is gamebreaking. Add them not because it’s historically accurate but because it would be backward not to. In the modern society we live in with an arguable fair go for everyone, why should this not be reflected in gaming? Pave the way TBS. I’m sure you’d get a larger cult following for being one of the multiplayer games with m/f characters

• It boils to “why?” vs “why not?”, except that modeling a female character for no other purpose than to assuage 2% of the players that care about/want it is pointless. You also stated you want voice acting and new animations for it. If you don’t care at all about the historical accuracy of the fighters, fine (even though I do), but putting so much effort into something so minuscule would be silly for Torn Banner to do, since modeling and animation are the most time-consuming things.

You bring up the point of “well it doesn’t matter to you, but it matters to me” and I can say the exact same thing. My opinion is counter to yours, except what I am advocating takes 0 effort and what you are advocating takes weeks of effort on top of infringing on the historical accuracy I like. I don’t want any female Samurai, thanks, unless you are saying you ALSO want it to be a totally separate class, which is even more work to come up with something unique and balanced.

• @Footbeard:

I’m not ever going to be mature. I do, however, feel that this isn’t a question of immersion but one of choice. A player should be able to choose if he/she is a female or male character because it adds INTEREST to the game. People whinge that it’s not historically accurate and that may be true but there are tonnes of things ingame that aren’t accurate like being able to parry a maul with a dagger. These people then say ‘it’s gamebreaking not to have this mechanic’. Sure. Fair point. For many people, not being able to be a female is gamebreaking. Add them not because it’s historically accurate but because it would be backward not to. In the modern society we live in with an arguable fair go for everyone, why should this not be reflected in gaming? Pave the way TBS. I’m sure you’d get a larger cult following for being one of the multiplayer games with m/f characters

Again, does everything have to be politically correct and gender-equal now? In a primarily first-person game, with characters that are all fully-armored, what does it even matter if their face is a little more slender or whatever difference it would actually make? I don’t understand why this is even a thing to you people.

It doesn’t. Matter. It would be like making sure every weapon, structure and armor was painstakingly authentic; it’s an insignificant thing that no one cares about really, except a tiny majority, such as the Catholic church on the Viking map. That pissed off one of my clanmates because he really likes and knows about Vikings, but I don’t care. It’s when your niche complaint would take a disproportionate amount of work to appease that it becomes an actual problem.

• If you don’t see the relevance then I’m not sure there’s any point arguing with you. Video games as a medium are hardly “gender equal” and it’s unfortunate that some people think it has to stay that way because it’s too much work to account for female gamers.

I think it’s a massive untapped demographic and it’s something worth tackling once they have the initial content polished.

• @Derpasaur:

If you don’t see the relevance then I’m not sure there’s any point arguing with you. Video games as a medium are hardly “gender equal” and it’s unfortunate that some people think it has to stay that way because it’s too much work to account for female gamers.

I think it’s a massive untapped demographic and it’s something worth tackling once they have the initial content polished.

Look, any woman who refuses to play a game because they can’t be a female clearly isn’t interested in the game. That’s one of the dumbest reasons not to play something that I’ve ever heard.

I mean, what do they do with something like Last of Us, or Walking Dead? You can’t play a female in that either, doesn’t mean they aren’t great games. When I play Bayonetta, do I bemoan the fact that I can’t be some badass manly man? No. Because it’s a fun game.

It’s a completely irrelevant complaint.