Regarding the ninjas and pirates

• is it just me or does ninjas vs. pirates seem like a effort by TB to appeal to a larger, younger consumer group. ninjas vs. pirates makes me think 15 year old male is the new target audience.

• Ninjas and pirates were in the top 5 most popular classes wanted. 4 of the top 5 are in the game.

This game also had 18+ ratings in most countries. And in pretty much all countries except America its illegal to supply children with games and movies they aren’t old enough to play and watch.

• I like ninja’s. Been doing tavern maps and FFA MAA with daggers to practice for it.
    Pirates is meh, but I suppose they fill the role nicely as the pure range class.
    And fyi, im 25. Some apples are green and some are red, live with it.

• Trailer looks pretty cool, people are always whiny about everything, so something you just have to ignore the bitching instead of giving in to it (hint hint wink wink latest patch wink hat-tip). Gonna pre-order pretty soon.

• I think they’ll be cool.

• “And in pretty much all countries except America its illegal to supply children with games and movies they aren’t old enough to play and watch”

well…only if you’re selling it to them. you need a license to sell, and you can’t be licensed to sell to children, and lose your license if you do it anyway. that’s why someone old enough buys it for you.

• @Deadpan:

“And in pretty much all countries except America its illegal to supply children with games and movies they aren’t old enough to play and watch”

well…only if you’re selling it to them. you need a license to sell, and you can’t be licensed to sell to children, and lose your license if you do it anyway. that’s why someone old enough buys it for you.

Supply. If someone older buys it for someone younger they are still supplying the game to minors.

• Developer

I just bought and played Sid Meier’s Pirates! to completion. Ended up a french Bishop. No regrets!

• @sir_loin:

I just bought and played Sid Meier’s Pirates! to completion. Ended up a french Bishop. No regrets!

uwat

GET TO WORK

• @dreamlord:

is it just me or does ninjas vs. pirates seem like a effort by TB to appeal to a larger, younger consumer group. ninjas vs. pirates makes me think 15 year old male is the new target audience.

Sounds like something a hater would say :|

• i hope the community gets revived with this expansion actually,they should aim for a larger player base thats for sure,and keeping the interest of players with something new

• @lemonater47:

@Deadpan:

“And in pretty much all countries except America its illegal to supply children with games and movies they aren’t old enough to play and watch”

Supply. If someone older buys it for someone younger they are still supplying the game to minors.

which is why supplying it to minors is legal. at least where i live it’s the norm, and completely uncontroversial. because nobody gives a fuck.

• @Deadpan:

@lemonater47:

@Deadpan Serious:

which is why supplying it to minors is legal. at least where i live it’s the norm, and completely uncontroversial. because nobody gives a fuck.

Its illegal in my country and probably in yours but like you said.

Nobody gives a fuck.

I’m currently a salesperson/cashier at an electronics shop. Its hilarious pulling out a little flyer explaining the punishment of supplying a minor with an R rated game. You turn some people and the look on those 8 year olds faces when their mum realises what they are doing is actually illegal and they do care. I only do it when my boss isn’t around. As we aren’t breaking the law they are its their problem.

It’s for the better. Less spoilt brats in the world. Less 8 year olds playing call of duty.

• is it just me or does ninjas vs. pirates seem like a effort by TB to appeal to a larger, younger consumer group. ninjas vs. pirates makes me think 15 year old male is the new target audience.

I think, perhaps, that you have overlooked a large portion of internet/gaming/geek culture. Pirates vs Ninja’s is always something that floats around. Certainly not as strong as zombies, and it isn’t another WW2 game (that is an older reference ;) ) However it is something that many people will think cool and get it.

After all TB is a commercial company, if you want TB to have the freedom to spend a year or two making a solid sequel to CMW with all the bells and whistles you want then you need to get real and understand TB need to make money before then. This is their way.

• Pirates vs Ninjas

SO EPICC!!!11!!!1!! XDXDDD

I can’t help but think this is what TB were thinking when they were brainstorming.

• i know this is a bit of a stretch, but this pirates vs ninjas thing, how it has a somewhat lingering popularity, i think is part of a bigger issue.

fantasy and science fiction were once the same. then they split up into mostly medieval fantasy and futuristic science fiction. i think there is a wake in between for speculative fiction that hasn’t properly formed out.

ninjas were mostly employed from the 15th to early 17th century, and the golden age of piracy was roughly from mid 17th to early 18th century.

incidentally a similar lingering popularity exists as Steampunk, which traditionally takes place in a British early 19th century style world based on earlier technologies but with 19th century industrialism. and then we’ve also had gothic fiction, which typically takes place in the 18th or 19th century, in which the stories were originally written.

none of these have really got much off the ground, certainly not as much as medieval fantasy or cyberpunk. maybe we need some kind of classical example that ties all these things together, kinda like what LotR did for medieval fantasy.

not exactly sure if zombies, robots and aliens play into it, but who knows.

sorry about that.
    (edited to fix some centuries)

• @Deadpan:

i know this is a bit of a stretch, but this pirates vs ninjas thing, how it has a somewhat lingering popularity, i think is part of a bigger issue.

fantasy and science fiction were once the same. then they split up into mostly medieval fantasy and futuristic science fiction. i think there is a wake in between for speculative fiction that hasn’t properly formed out.

ninjas were mostly employed from the 15th to early 17th century, and the golden age of piracy was roughly from mid 17th to early 18th century.

incidentally a similar lingering popularity exists as Steampunk, which traditionally takes place in the early 18th century. and then we’ve also had gothic fiction, which typically takes place in the 18th century.

none of these have really got much off the ground, certainly not as much as medieval fantasy or cyberpunk. maybe we need some kind of classical example that ties all these things together, kinda like what LotR did for medieval fantasy.

not exactly sure if zombies, robots and aliens play into it, but who knows.

sorry about that.

Ninjas were around well into the 19th century.

• James Bond was a ninja.

• Ninjas were around well into the 19th century.

well, not exactly in the same way that they had ninjas earlier. they dídn’t completely lose the tricks, nor the myths, etc, so there were people still using that, but it’s debatable if they actually count…i mean still to this day there are people that claim to be a ninja.
    basically they were ninjas the way neo-hippies are hippies. ok that’s a really weird comparison.

• @Deadpan:

Ninjas were around well into the 19th century.

well, not exactly in the same way that they had ninjas earlier. they dídn’t completely lose the tricks, nor the myths, etc, so there were people still using that, but it’s debatable if they actually count…i mean still to this day there are people that claim to be a ninja.
    basically they were ninjas the way neo-hippies are hippies. ok that’s a really weird comparison.

The were proper ninjas like all before them. Used the same way. There was a little something called the Boshin war. That was the last time there were proper ninjas.

After that they were pretty much as you described.