Spartan overpowered

• So me,rumpel and Darenger were just playing FFA and testing stuff out and we noticed that the Spartan is ridicoulus at the moment :)

Following problems with this Class:

1. The shield bash and the combo on it
    2. Spear LMB Combo coupled with the movement speed, knockback and bubble.

First of all the shield bash is crazy at the moment, it’s combo is WAY too fast there is barely an animation and it does way too much damage.

Suggestion for this: Remove the ability to combo the shieldbash or make it slower + less damage.

Then is the LMB Combo. This is also way too fast, basically when someone is close you can constantly sidestrafe people and keep mashing lmb, and when you get a hit in the enemy is in big trouble because of how fast the stab is.

(talking about the first spear here)

When an enemy has a short weapon he will have alot of trouble getting close to you because of the bubble+knockback, you can just constantly spam LMB and keep distance.

At all this together with the high movement speed of the class and you can add 1+1 together. It doesn’t help that its harder to get around spartan shield.

Suggestion: Remove combo from stab OR remove the ability the to drag the spear so much, basically limit its drag so you can sidestep it.

• I have more of a problem with the current iteration of the Sarissa and that is because it is far too draggable, in the bad way. I love drags, but a very long spear like that should not be able to do a 180 stab.

My solution would be to severely limit the x-axis of the attack once it has started, because then you could do effective Sarissa spearwall formations and keep the enemy at bay, but 1v1 or simply if an enemy gets close, you would need to switch to your secondary, which is exactly how a weapon like that operated. Its combo speed, reach and damage are all stellar and I would not even mind a damage buff if the x-axis gets limited to almost nothing to compensate.

• Once you get that first hit with shield bash it’s pretty impossible to block 2nd and 3rd combo attack.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

Once you get that first hit with shield bash it’s pretty impossible to block 2nd and 3rd combo attack.

^

• the alt shield bash is just insane. The windup and release is as close to the limits of human reaction time as it can get :S
      Reminds me of bearded axe acceleration.
      Definitely needs a speed nerf in my opinion. (alt attacks are faster in general btw)

• Yeah I just experienced this with Crushed. It is really hard to block the shieldbash and dodge the spear. In my opinion, the bubble should be removed completely from CDW.

• The issues with shield bash is mostly related to the last patch’s new tracers for it, I believe. Sometimes it seems to hit before the animation would indicate.

I’d like to see the combo speed for the overhead -> overhead w/ spear become similar to the overhead -> overhead for sword.

And the stab(tertiary) attack for javelin type weapons is far more effective than the LMB spam you speak of. Are you referring to sarissa explicitly?

I don’t think I agree with the alt overhead pushing the limits of human reaction. The release is fast, so you only need to block near the end of windup, and the shield movement is a big telegraph.

• in the OP i was talking about the very first spear you get (Dory)

And wasnt just talking about LMB, also the other attack that you can combo

In my eyes this whole idea of comboing with spear just doesn’t work and it something very hard to balance

Maybe just tone down the combo speed a bit, heck when you get the first hit in the followup is as fast as a dagger

• @CRUSHED:

in the OP i was talking about the very first spear you get (Dory)

And wasnt just talking about LMB, also the other attack that you can combo

In my eyes this whole idea of comboing with spear just doesn’t work and it something very hard to balance

Maybe just tone down the combo speed a bit, heck when you get the first hit in the followup is as fast as a dagger

I think it would more intuitive to keep the speed of the tertiary attack, while transfering it’s damage over to the primary attack and slowing it down a bit.

I don’t really mind spear combos with the increased movement speed, I just think many of them should have their knockback tuned down a bit so you can’t put out a wall of tracers and keep them back.

• Lol its so funny how you can run around spam LMB, throw in a feint here and there and you got a machinegun spear lol

Also whats up with the chat? The font makes it look like everyone is on caps rage mode the whole time, makes me cringe everytime. :P

• I like how it’s all upper case, but the REAL UPPER CASE is a slightly larger font. So you can have some variation in your rage fits.

• @Derpasaur:

I don’t think I agree with the alt overhead pushing the limits of human reaction. The release is fast, so you only need to block near the end of windup, and the shield movement is a big telegraph.

Well, I tried parrying it a couple times and made it like 1 out of 5 times. Might be just exactly that fast release fucking me up though. Still a slight speed nerf would be nice…

• If they remove the bubble a face hugging spartan will do less damage with his shield bash.

• @lemonater47:

If they remove the bubble a face hugging spartan will do less damage with his shield bash.

The shield bash does a consistent damage across its whole tracer (no sweet spots)

• @HeightofAbsurdity:

@lemonater47:

If they remove the bubble a face hugging spartan will do less damage with his shield bash.

The shield bash does a consistent damage across its whole tracer (no sweet spots)

Really. I though it was the bubble pushing you back so it always hits at maximum range.

• @lemonater47:

@HeightofAbsurdity:

@lemonater47:

Really. I though it was the bubble pushing you back so it always hits at maximum range.

No sweet spots? The whole tracer is red. It always hits the sweet spot. No damage penalty no matter what part of the strike hits. That being said it’s not exactly a long range attack. Just keep your distance.

• Called it. Spartans op

• nope, spartan triple spear thrusts perfect balance. Should add to vanguards in live version so that brandi, spear, and fork can combo.

• @clayton-bigsby:

nope, spartan triple spear thrusts perfect balance. Should add to vanguards in live version so that brandi, spear, and fork can combo.

Well to be fair i was told they didn’t start the balancing yet.

• I think the spartan would be totally useless if he is nerfed too much. The samurai is almost twice as tanky and is capable of wielding a versatile spear. The knight, even tankier, and will be able to wield the halberd.

The spartan hate feels largely exaggerated by some minor weapon issues (For instance the Dory stab superiority, Combo transitions in general (which experience will remedy either way), and shield bash for spear class weapons having bugged combo times.)

Combine that with truly silly updated shield bash tracers, and it’s easy to hate on the spartan.

I’m hesitant to say he’s truly “OP”. Just needs a few tweaks here and there.

I’d like to see the other classes be more viable, over messing with the spartan too much.

• Just corrected the buggy combo timings on shield bash for Dory, should be much better now. Was a whole 200 ms faster than intended.