Thoughts about the game after latest Content Patch

• Howdy folks,

I’ve been reading here for quite a while, finally registered. Just wanted to state that I am a little disappointed about what is going on with the game lately.

We all have seen the announcements of the latest content patch coming along with those announcements for DW. The first irritating thing for me to notice was that the content patch actually didn’t have any content at all. I thought we’d see some new maps finally (especially TO maps). Alot of fixes I would have expected (because people have been yelling about them for months) also didn’t make it in. I’m really disappointed. On top of that the game itself performs worse than before with each patch (at least here on my rig, which is quite potent). Since the last patch I have not seen any server that is not lagging. Ghost slashes and out-of-sync-animations aside (and these have gone worse too, at least for me).

And now here comes DW. You TBS guys have gone totally quite and it seems all effort is put into the addon atm. Which is kind of the wrong thing to do imho. You’re building an addon based on a program that still contains a lot of problems. And you’re not communicating anymore. Do you expect people, who are disappointed with the maingame, are buying the addon? I personally won’t.

I know that you guys need money to pay your bills and feed your families. And that’s why I can live with you trying to monetarize different aspects of the game (e.g. customization - although I would have preferred fixes, optimizations and real content over it).

But I more and more get the feeling, that you guys aren’t going to fix the gamekilling issues but will try to milk the cashcow even more. I seriously hope I’m wrong, but I have seen this with alot of other games/devteams specially in the more recent past. This isn’t meant to be a harsh dev-bashing rant. I just wanted to write these thoughts down, to give some food for thoughts. With the current behaviour towards your customers you might gamble away their trust.

Have a good one!

• You don’t understand. Content update 2 was the customization update months ago. The last patch was patch 1 of content update 2.

Also torn banner well needs money. They don’t have some big publisher that throws money at them. They have to get paid somehow. Making a partnership with spike TV and this expansion fits the bill.

They can’t fix the game with no money either.

• @lemonater47:

You don’t understand. Content update 2 was the customization update months ago. The last patch was patch 1 of content update 2.

Also torn banner well needs money. They don’t have some big publisher that throws money at them. They have to get paid somehow. Making a partnership with spike TV and this expansion fits the bill.

Uhm…they sold more than 1 million copies :-? …what are you talking about??? It doesn’t cost that much to fix some problems.

• @johnk17:

@lemonater47:

You don’t understand. Content update 2 was the customization update months ago. The last patch was patch 1 of content update 2.

Uhm…they sold more than 1 million copies :-? …what are you talking about??? It doesn’t cost that much to fix some problems.

Between $25 and $6 and they pay their employees well accoording to them. Not to mention everything they had to buy like the studio.

• @lemonater47:

@johnk17:

@lemonater47:

Between $25 and $6 and they pay their employees well accoording to them. Not to mention everything they had to buy like the studio.

So 6 million dollars minimun(we all know it’s much more) is not enough???I still think they just messed up…that’s my opinion.

• Needing money is no excuse for doing almost nothing. Selling games won’t work if you have the reputation of not supporting your games and instead moving to the next project (unless you are EA and got an infinite marketing budget). Game quality also includes support quality.

If you make mistakes you need to correct them:

1. Stamina and parry system were changed without touching shields leaving them almost useless in melee

Not the slightest change was made. Is it so hard to reduce some stamina costs or the kick daze timer?

1. A collision bubble was introduced to solve some issues. Turns out it doesn’t and also introduced some new problems.

Nothing. Not even a size reduction in beta? Why?

1. Duel mode shipped with a broken interface.

Improved interface announced. Not a single bug fixed. Interface is broken just as before. Removal of the interface chat interaction and this annoying auto-join-pool would make it okay.

1. People complain about having a hard time distinguishing between the Agatha dark blue and the Mason black.

Torn Banner comes up with the crosshair colors. Nicely done - problem solved. But no: What about still making the dark blue lighter in color. Thats a little too much but I can live with… wait it also changed the FFA dark blue?! Okay thats bad but I can live with that… WTF they changed the Mason black (the one that did look quite realistic) to a medium grey? Thats too much!

Also a minor thing:
    i) The game has only a few maps for one of the main gamemodes - Team Objective. One update introduced a new map - its shiny and makes your FPS drop but in terms of gameplay the design is clearly lacking. Then TO maps were set to low priority because the SDK would be released soon.

Time has passed. No additional TO maps. No SDK release.

• They haven’t been doing nothing there’s 15 of them and they are doing deadliest warrior.

• @lemonater47:

They haven’t been doing nothing there’s 15 of them and they are doing deadliest warrior.

you were very critical of TBS and DW recently, why have you suddenly gone back into kiss-ass mode? let me guess, someone gave you a DW beta invite?

• @thomi:

@lemonater47:

They haven’t been doing nothing there’s 15 of them and they are doing deadliest warrior.

you were very critical of TBS and DW recently, why have you suddenly gone back into kiss-ass mode? let me guess, someone gave you a DW beta invite?

That’s actually the case ha

• @lemonater47:

I am speaking of Chivalry and its support. Deadliest Warrior is additional content you have to pay for and does not count in this regard.

• TBS actually is still working on MW. The latest patch prove that for me. The communication is quite lacking or even not existant in the moment. They concentrate on DW. But they didn’t forget chivalry. I’m sure more fixes, the sdk and maybe more content will come.

• @Peter:

TBS actually is still working on MW. The latest patch prove that for me. The communication is quite lacking or even not existant in the moment. They concentrate on DW. But they didn’t forget chivalry. I’m sure more fixes, the sdk and maybe more content will come.

Are you sure they’re still working on MW? The last patch did absolutely nothing and in fact only made things even worse.

• @SOC:

@Peter:

TBS actually is still working on MW. The latest patch prove that for me. The communication is quite lacking or even not existant in the moment. They concentrate on DW. But they didn’t forget chivalry. I’m sure more fixes, the sdk and maybe more content will come.

Are you sure they’re still working on MW? The last patch did absolutely nothing and in fact only made things even worse.

Nothing? No! It fixed the dodge out of stun, super-jump, some tracers, the blue crosshair when aiming at teammates is also a nice addition…
    And I get the impression they fixed the hittracers of stabs, even thought thats not in the patchnotes.

Saying “it did absolutely nothing” is just a trend. Everyone bashes TBS, so you join them. That’s my impression.

I agree it made some things worse. The flinch in release is worse now. It’s like they changed the flinch mechanic. I get flinched even in LATE release!

But saying the patch did nothing is completely wrong. I’m quite happy with it.

• @Peter:

Nothing? No! It fixed the dodge out of stun, super-jump, some tracers, the blue crosshair when aiming at teammates is also a nice addition…
    And I get the impression they fixed the hittracers of stabs, even thought thats not in the patchnotes.

Saying “it did absolutely nothing” is just a trend. Everyone bashes TBS, so you join them. That’s my impression.

I agree it made some things worse. The flinch in release is worse now. It’s like they changed the flinch mechanic. I get flinched even in LATE release!

I could care less what anyone else thinks.

Tracers seem to be exactly the same to me, stabs are still the same, and considering dodge out of stam bug was fixed months ago but they brought it back and just now fixed it again, it doesn’t count. It should’ve been hotfixed weeks ago for the second time. As for super jump and blue crosshairs, I guess you’re right. That’s the only two things that make this last patch not completely nothing.

But it’s basically nothing except more desyncs and more bugs.

• @SOC:

@Peter:

I could care less what anyone else thinks.

Tracers seem to be exactly the same to me, stabs are still the same, and considering dodge out of stam bug was fixed months ago but they brought it back and just now fixed it again, it doesn’t count. It should’ve been hotfixed weeks ago for the second time. As for super jump and blue crosshairs, I guess you’re right. That’s the only two things that make this last patch not completely nothing.

But it’s basically nothing except more desyncs and more bugs.

I’m not experiencing any more desyncs.
    Also not more bugs, except for the even worse flinch in release.
    Why aren’t you just happy that they fixed dodge out of stun again? Would you have prefered them to keep the bug? They did a mistake that readded the bug, yes. Now they fixed it again. Why do you complain?

• @Peter:

I’m not experiencing any more desyncs.
    Also not more bugs, except for the even worse flinch in release.
    Why aren’t you just happy that they fixed dodge out of stun again? Would you have prefered them to keep the bug? They did a mistake that readded the bug, yes. Now they fixed it again. Why do you complain?

Because it took them forever to fix it, and they’ve introduced more bugs into this game since the patch. They also haven’t nerfed archers and MaAs yet, nor re-buffed the longsword and change the claymore. They still haven’t made stamina better, recovery parry still exists and they still haven’t re-added combo feint to parry. Not to mention reverted chase mechanic.

There’s a lot to still complain about. You say that people are just “sheep” and follow the same opinion as everyone else, not having their own opinion. But I think you don’t have your own true opinion and in fact are the sheep, thinking TBS is much better than they actually are because you’re caring too much about what others think. I don’t mean this in any disrespect, but you should really think more about Chivalry’s progress.

• @SOC:

Because it took them forever to fix it, and they’ve introduced more bugs into this game since the patch. They also haven’t nerfed archers and MaAs yet, nor re-buffed the longsword and change the claymore. They still haven’t made stamina better, recovery parry still exists and they still haven’t re-added combo feint to parry. Not to mention reverted chase mechanic.

There’s a lot to still complain about. You say that people are just “sheep” and follow the same opinion as everyone else, not having their own opinion. But I think you don’t have your own true opinion and in fact are the sheep, thinking TBS is much better than they actually are because you’re caring too much about what others think. I don’t mean this in any disrespect, but you should really think more about Chivalry’s progress.

/thread

Agreeing on all points.
    tips visor

• @thomi:

@lemonater47:

Whether I like the look of DW or not doesn’t change the fact that they are working on something.

• @lemonater47:

@thomi:

@lemonater47:

Whether I like the look of DW or not doesn’t change the fact that they are working on something.

TBs always worked on something. The problem is that they always work on the wrong things (for example adding more gore, customization, duel mode, DW etc. while the game is still broken).

• I think as a player base we’re collectively not getting the hint. No communication, no content, hardly any bug fixing: the game is done as far as TB are concerned. They’ve made all the money they will make on it, and as a business they have to explore other avenues of revenue. I’m sure other bug fixes will come in time, but I don’t see them releasing new maps or content for chiv unless they charge for a pack of them. As far as they’re concerned, I’d be surprised if they’re not going to consider the SDK release as the last big thing they do with chiv, and that will allow the community to service the game themselves and provide new content.

This is expected, no? They’re not going to put their devs to work making new content for a couple of thousand dedicated players, instead they’re going to justify the (relatively large) salaries of the software developers to make more money for the board of directors; this is how business works.

I wish they would fix the bugs in this game, and I think they will still put some more effort into that, probably as DW comes closer to release, but the only real hope for this game now is the community and the SDK (please give us that). I also don’t think it will be too long before chiv 2 is announced (my money is on 6 months after DW ships), so we can all look forward to that.

TLDR: Stop getting your hopes up. TB are a grown up business now, with their own keys and no curfew. As disappointing as it may be, we have to accept that they have priorities other than providing free content to a bunch of (forgive me) unusually unpleasant, ungrateful alpha nerds. I for one still love Torn Banner, I bought chiv for like, £10 (or something) back at launch, and it’s probably been the most fun I’ve had at a computer; 1000 hours of amazing fun and making new, similarly minded friends is probably the best £10 I could ever hope to spend.