Classes' speed

• Hello all!

I’ve been thinking about the speed of all classes. Because I find it’s weird that vanguard is quite fast in hitting and swing speed. I’ve recently found a command in console “aoc_showspeed 1” obviously it enables me to check speed of each class whenever I move. it’s like this at the right bottom
    [attachment=0:35weil6p]2013-10-07_00002.jpg[/attachment:35weil6p]

I don’t know how the speed is being measured in the game. However, I still processed to test speed of all classes. The result below.

Walking
    Archer: 200
    Mn at Arms: 210
    Vanguard: 190
    Knight: 180

Running
    Archer: 330
    Mn at Arms: 336
    Vanguard: 313
    Knight: 298

I really don’t know what to say after seeing the result. Knight class could have a buff in speed a bit. maybe up to below 305.

Any thoughts?

• Make archer and MaA walk/run speed slower, and revert MaA back to same speed as archer. Make less different in walking speed for every class, to compensate for worse/lack of chase mechanic.

• @Sora:

I really don’t know what to say after seeing the result. Knight class could have a buff in speed a bit. maybe up to below 305.

Any thoughts?

I don’t think the knight should get faster. It’d make the knight even more offensive.
    The knight is intended to be a defensive class. But in the moment you CAN’T be defensive, thanks to the massive stamina drain when parrying/blocking.
    I’d rather give the knight a good stamina buff for shields.
    And as I suggested in another post: Knight should not lose stamina holding his shield up while crouching.

That’d be a buff I’d give to the knight.
    Not a speed buff.
    MAYBE a speed buff for running FORWARD ONLY. The knight shouldn’t become a quick-ass side strafer like the maa.

And you were talking about the vanguards swinging speed. It’s not too fast I think (except for the claymore and the brandistock slashspeed, which isn’t that overly fast anymore).
    Making the vanguard slower will make him an even easier target for archers and maa.

And the running speeds in chivalry have a bit of a logic. The lighter the armor, the faster the class.
    But I don’t understand why the maa is faster than the archer then. Side-strafing okay, that’s what the maa has to do, but running speed? Archer should be faster, for he wears NO ARMOR AT ALL. The maa still has some leather stuff on him. And the vanguard chainmail which isn’t as heavy as many people think. Try to get a real chainmail armor somewhere and put it on. It’s quite confortable!
    Of course the game isn’t about realism. But in some points realism is balance.

• The chase mechanic is a joke. As a knight you have to follow archers or MAAs for 2 kilometers, but don’t you lose the aim on them for one freaking second, then it’s 3 kilometers. :(

• @fvonb:

The chase mechanic is a joke. As a knight you have to follow archers or MAAs for 2 kilometers, but don’t you lose the aim on them for one freaking second, then it’s 3 kilometers. :(

Ohhh yeah… Even with the vanguard that can be a pain… I hate it when they run…

• @Peter:

I don’t think the knight should get faster. It’d make the knight even more offensive.
    The knight is intended to be a defensive class. But in the moment you CAN’T be defensive, thanks to the massive stamina drain when parrying/blocking.
    And as I suggested in another post: Knight should not lose stamina holding his shield up while crouching.

Mhm. I can agree on giving a stamina buff for knight class as it is a defensive.

@Peter:

@fvonb:

The chase mechanic is a joke. As a knight you have to follow archers or MAAs for 2 kilometers, but don’t you lose the aim on them for one freaking second, then it’s 3 kilometers. :(

Ohhh yeah… Even with the vanguard that can be a pain… I hate it when they run…

Yeah, that’s what I’m trying to look into how improve knights able to catch up to other classes during combat

@Peter:

MAYBE a speed buff for running FORWARD ONLY. The knight shouldn’t become a quick-ass side strafer like the maa.

This. Probably what we, fellow knights would like to have able to keep up with other classes in combat, yeah?

• yeah, but the balance has all been catered for Vanguard players.

• Knight definitely needs a forward sprint buff, closing speed is just too damn slow to be effective against the lighter classes. Reckon you could post the backpedal speeds?

• @LTTLWLF:

Knight definitely needs a forward sprint buff, closing speed is just too damn slow to be effective against the lighter classes. Reckon you could post the backpedal speeds?

Yeah, I can. Tonight I will test and post the result here

• Yeah,
    I would like to see:
    -the walking speeds tightened - so less difference between the walking speeds and also make the MAA walking speed closer to that of the archer or the same.
    -I’d like to see the knight get a slight buff to sprint speed or at least an increase to his acceleration to the current sprint speed. There is a gap that needs to be bridged a little to cover some balance issues, however, if other issues were addressed change to knight’s speed would not be necessary (we all know what those other changes should be ;) ).

• i’d like to see that a knight with a longsword can at least hit a dodging backpedaling maa to at least draw a parry with a perfectly timed swing.

• I think a slight buff in chase speed is needed for knight, but not much.
    Also since you’ve discussed running speed, I hate how it’s still the same for CTF, It should be a set running speed across the board for anyone holding the flag, so it requires more teamwork. I am sick of trying to close the gap on a flag capping maa as a knight or even vanguard, it’s simply worthless.

• @Sora:

@LTTLWLF:

Knight definitely needs a forward sprint buff, closing speed is just too damn slow to be effective against the lighter classes. Reckon you could post the backpedal speeds?

Yeah, I can. Tonight I will test and post the result here

I apologise about forgotten it so here is it!

Backpedal
    Archer: 160
    MAA: 178
    Vanguard: 152
    Knight: 144

Not too shabby.

• @Deadpan:

yeah, but the balance has all been catered for Vanguard players.

LMAO

• @Deadpan:

yeah, but the balance has all been catered for Vanguard players.

Immortalize this, please. May it never be forgotten until the end of time that you said this.

• @Peter:

@Sora:

Any thoughts?

Well if you wanted to make the Knight class more defensive then it might be good to change stamina so that attacking shields actually cost the attacker some stamina. Currently it takes no stamina to attack a shield but lots of stamina to block.

• I’m not saying it would be a good idea or not to do this in Chivalry. But their are quite a few games out that the stamina drain against a shield is dealt to the attacker.

• Knight is supposed to be both offensive and defensive, hence shields and heavy-hitting two-handead weapons.

• @Holy.Death:

Knight is supposed to be both offensive and defensive, hence shields and heavy-hitting two-handead weapons.

Exactly. They can be a hard hitting close range tank then swap to their secondary and shield and play defensively and protect themselves and others from projectiles.

• I think that knight should recieve a larger stamina pool. But I am very happy with the current movement speed they get.

I also don’t think the MAA speed needs to change as much as the distance covered in dodges needs to be halved.

Also- what nick said.
    +5