TACMA: Multiplayer Melee Concept System

• Stream TACMA on gamejolt Here: http://gamejolt.com/games/arcade/tacma- … ena/17486/
    IndieDB Page: http://www.indiedb.com/games/tacma-tota … elee-arena

Hey everyone, I revamped the TACMA (Total Arm Control Melee Arena) concept quite a bit from a few months ago. I made the arm and sword control fully bounded by physics, so a player must deal with things like inertia and momentum. Damage of a strike is still based on the velocity of the sword. I also added the ability to extend your arm at the elbow as planned.

I scrapped shields for right now to focus fully on refining the sword combat. Now parrying is also bounded by physics. If a persons arm is fully extended it is weaker and thus most vulnerable to a parry. Leaving your arm extended makes the sword feel heavier and heavier over time to encourage realistic strikes rather than just wagging your sword like a deathwand that kills whoever it touches.

Also, Aim392, your comment about fighting to the side for a smaller hit box was interesting. I think the downside is that you have less angles to attack from. I added the ability to turn your neck so you can experiment/fight from different angles like this.

The new controls are listed below - suggestions highly appreciated!

Movement - WASDQE
    Shoulder - Hold Left Mouse Button and Move Mouse
    Extend Elbow - Holding left mouse button, and then pressing either middle, right mouse button, or F
    Rotate Arm - While holding left click, use scroll wheel to rotate arm
    Fast Reset Arm - T + Left Click (Holding left click alone will bring the arm will slowly come back to place)
    Look Around - Mouse without pressing a mouse button or Arrow Keys or QE
    Toggle Perspective - P
    Neck Turn - Scroll Wheel (If not holding any mouse button)
    Sprint - Shift
    Respect - Z
    Laugh - X
    Taunt - C
    Jump - Space
    Chat - Enter to toggle, Type Message, Then Press Enter to Send

OLD:

I’m a big fan of Chivalry, so I wanted to give making a multiplayer melee system a shot for fun one weekend. I just realized that this would be the perfect place to share it and get some feedback. TACMA was mainly to explore the concept of giving complete control of attacks to the user (No Pre-made animations or animation queues) which I haven’t seen in a real time melee game before.

The games basic mechanic is that you can free-look like a standard FPS normally, but if you hold down “Left Click”, you can swing your sword freely with the pivot point at the shoulder more or less (X-axis is rotates the sword, and Y-Axis swings it). This seemed to provide the most realistic swings without making it too complicated, I wanted to avoid it becoming QWOP melee. Holding right click allows you to move the shield. As far as the arm control, I was considering making it so you could extend and retract your elbow with the mouse wheel… I’m not sure if that would work well or not.

As for gameplay, the speed of swings matter. A max speed swing is a one hit kill, but weak pokes will take several to kill a person. Also, stamina is important, the less stamina you have, the lower the sensitivity/speed at which you can swing.

Also, being a fan of Chivalry, I found it necessary to allow players to laugh, so you can do this by pressing X.

Anyway, anyone who joins the game will be thrown into one giant multiplayer game, I can always make it lobby/room based later on. I just wanted to get your guys feedback see if this was a concept worth exploring further, and if anyone who enjoys game-dev is interested in working on the project with me, I always like collaborating.

Thanks for checking it out

• Can’t watch the video, but the concept sound very interesting. There are definitely some balance things that have to be worked out (like maybe not allow one-hit kills as easily as swinging really hard), but all in all could be a fun idea to be hammered out more.

• Thanks for the feedback Oy. It was not a video, but instead a streamable version of the game. You will need to install the “Unity Web-Player” plugin to be able to play, but it should stream very quickly. I think it should have prompted you to install when you visited the page, just like if you needed flash.

• After lurking here for about 3 months, I made a account just to reply to this.

My friends and I tried out TACMA, and had a ton of fun with it. The main issue was what appeared to be either desync with parrying and audio or server lag. I think having a scroll wheel function would add a lot. The idea of a retractable elbow is pretty cool, if you wanted to implement it.

I think the concept is pretty cool, and I hope to see it turn into a more fleshed out game.

• Thanks a lot Dabay55. I’m glad you made an account, the feedback is greatly appreciated! I’m not sure how many people you were playing with, but the hosting I’m using for it (since its just a concept) is pretty cheap, so that could maybe cause desync.

I’ll perhaps have to experiment with the retractable elbow. Legs would probably be a nice addition as well hah.

• It would be nice for more controls like inverse X and Y axis but I was all alone and was having problems even swinging at the barrels

• Hey falonso, I was one of the people dabay55 was playing with, along with two others. I decided to make an account and post about your demonstration game presuming your probably hungry for feedback.

First of all, The concept behind it was great, giving freedom of movement to the player to design their own moves is awesome, and can provide a potentially advanced game. Even with our limited play-time, my friends and I were trying out our own styles, and it really provided a unique sense of depth, as the game didn’t tell you how to fight.
    Some examples of things we tried out; Putting our shields straight up/down and fighting with the swords only resulted in more interesting combat, as it was more about footwork then blocking, which seemed to be a bit buggy because of lag. A method that continually popped up was holding your sword directly out from your side, and fighting your enemy from the side. This provided you with a smaller hitbox and gave you more range then your enemy. Another fond move was simply spinning, it’s fairly simple to get your sword in a extended position, and spinning your screen around provided a very difficult to avoid blade.

Overall this demonstration was a really cool unique idea, I’m really excited to see if you decide to go anywhere with it, My friends and I had a lot of fun just messing around with it.
    The largest improvement I would wish for ATM is the ability to somehow host our own server, the current server system used (and I don’t claim to understand it, is it limited by unity?) seemed to have some serious issues with blocking, making defensive play the worse choice. We spent some time just practicing parrying and shield blocking, and it usually takes a second for actions to register, movement felt fine, but I would really like to be able to host our own server’s or maybe player on player combat just need’s some kind of server optimization.
    That way we could really try out more advanced fighting mechanics, like following up on a parry or block.

Thanks for making such a cool little game! had a lot of fun with it! :D

• Stream TACMA on gamejolt Here: http://gamejolt.com/games/arcade/tacma- … ena/17486/
    IndieDB Page: http://www.indiedb.com/games/tacma-tota … elee-arena

Hey everyone, I revamped the TACMA (Total Arm Control Melee Arena) concept quite a bit from a few months ago. I made the arm and sword control fully bounded by physics, so a player must deal with things like inertia and momentum. Damage of a strike is still based on the velocity of the sword. I also added the ability to extend your arm at the elbow as planned.

I scrapped shields for right now to focus fully on refining the sword combat. Now parrying is also bounded by physics. If a persons arm is fully extended it is weaker and thus most vulnerable to a parry. Leaving your arm extended makes the sword feel heavier and heavier over time to encourage realistic strikes rather than just wagging your sword like a deathwand that kills whoever it touches.

Also, Aim392, your comment about fighting to the side for a smaller hit box was interesting. I think the downside is that you have less angles to attack from. I added the ability to turn your neck so you can experiment/fight from different angles like this.

The new controls are listed below - suggestions highly appreciated!

Movement - WASDQE
    Shoulder - Hold Left Mouse Button and Move Mouse
    Extend Elbow - Holding left mouse button, and then pressing either middle, right mouse button, or F
    Rotate Arm - While holding left click, use scroll wheel to rotate arm
    Fast Reset Arm - T + Left Click (Holding left click alone will bring the arm will slowly come back to place)
    Look Around - Mouse without pressing a mouse button or Arrow Keys or QE
    Toggle Perspective - P
    Neck Turn - Scroll Wheel (If not holding any mouse button)
    Sprint - Shift
    Respect - Z
    Laugh - X
    Taunt - C
    Jump - Space
    Chat - Enter to toggle, Type Message, Then Press Enter to Send