Wish list for a better Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

• As great as it is to support something for so long, it doesn’t necessarily mean you have a more weighted opinion than someone who is new.

Reason for that is because both opinions are valuable. A game company would look at what they can do to make sure there is enough challenge for the better players while still allowing it to be a pick up and play for those that are interested in joining.

Torn Banner has to find a balance between both groups of players with each thing they do. It’s a really fine line to walk, so one group or one type of player isn’t more valued by them because is valued is the community as a whole.

• @Keith:

As great as it is to support something for so long, it doesn’t necessarily mean you have a more weighted opinion than someone who is new.

Reason for that is because both opinions are valuable. A game company would look at what they can do to make sure there is enough challenge for the better players while still allowing it to be a pick up and play for those that are interested in joining.

Torn Banner has to find a balance between both groups of players with each thing they do. It’s a really fine line to walk, so one group or one type of player isn’t more valued by them because is valued is the community as a whole.

Except a new player making suggestions for changes to the game has no idea what he’s talking about, so his opinion has little value. If your car breaks down and some guy stops to help, that’s nice, but when he suggests your hook up your wiper fluid to your engine, you ignore him because you know that’s the most retarded thing you’ve heard all day.

• Global Moderator

@Daiyuki:

@Keith:

As great as it is to support something for so long, it doesn’t necessarily mean you have a more weighted opinion than someone who is new.

Except a new player making suggestions for changes to the game has no idea what he’s talking about, so his opinion has little value. If your car breaks down and some guy stops to help, that’s nice, but when he suggests your hook up your wiper fluid to your engine, you ignore him because you know that’s the most retarded thing you’ve heard all day.

Some of the long time players suggestions are equally retarded.

And then there’s those who feel entitled.

• @Daiyuki:

@Keith:

Sometimes new players come with new and fresh perspectives. There could be 100 suggestions and maybe only 10 of them are good, it’s up to Torn Banner to decided what works and what doesn’t. So there’s no shame in new players giving their 2 cents.

• @Keith:

@Daiyuki:

@Keith:

Sometimes new players come with new and fresh perspectives. There could be 100 suggestions and maybe only 10 of them are good, it’s up to Torn Banner to decided what works and what doesn’t. So there’s no shame in new players giving their 2 cents.

Right, and I’m saying it’s ok to completely ignore them and if they persist, to tell them they have no clue.

• @Daiyuki:

Right, and I’m saying it’s ok to completely ignore them and if they persist, to tell them they have no clue.

That’s one way to go about it. Another way could be explain to them why they have no clue or why their idea may not work for the game. Try to show them your perspective because who knows, they may just end up agreeing.

• @Keith:

@Daiyuki:

That’s one way to go about it. Another way could be explain to them why they have no clue or why their idea may not work for the game. Try to show them your perspective because who knows, they may just end up agreeing.

This is precisely what I and others have previously tried very hard to do. We can go over many different issues in thread after thread, after thread. Unfortunately, some concepts are virtually impossible to explain to people without the experience to see what I’m saying is absolutely true.

The whole feint debate, and CFTP arguments: Countless times I saw people arguing from a position that I knew I was once standing in until I became more experienced. But people don’t want to hear anything that sounds remotely like “get good.” People like to believe they are experts, but in reality they don’t know what they want. This can go for both sides, of course, but in the end the people with the strongest understanding of the game (and a track record to prove it) were nearly all agreed on these aspects, and have nearly all stuck by their word after the patch.

When most people who I’ve disagreed with in the past have tried to explain to me why I have “no clue” they’ve either repeated an argument that I know not to be true (“it’s a coin toss!”), or basically settled on complaining: “it’s an exploit” or “it’s OP.” But they don’t have to convince me, and this is the sad thing. It’s clear that with enough complaining, even if the game basically breaks and they need to implement some crazy feature that no one asked for to fix it again, TBS will fold.

And it’s really clear to see now that it’s true people don’t know what they want: “Guys! Remove panic parry! It sucks, why did you add it?!!!”
    Be careful what you wish for, and all.

• Try to play with the following setup:

Archer + Broad Dagger + Buckler

Yes, its the weakest setup you can play with right now. Its still fun - if there weren’t some really big issues attached:
    (1) Your offense is gimped in the most frustrating way possible: The collision bubble prevents you from landing your attacks and using footwork in battle makes it even worse. You basically attack an enemy but end up missing because some invisible wall prevents you getting close enough. You snuck up behind a moving enemy without him noticing? Better press C to get him turn around - otherwise you won’t be able to hit.
    (2) Your defense is gimped in the most frustrating way possible: You are using a Buckler - a shield specifically designed to be used in close combat. Thus your protection from projectiles is weak. But then your protection from melee is even worse! Your block hitbox is even smaller than the already limited size suggests but it still blocks your vision for the full amount. And if you manage to block an attack it drains your stamina faster than panic parry. Finally you still suffer from the full effect of getting kicked on your shield (the Buckler is held in the hand so a kick would only push aside the wearers arm).
    (3) You end up getting killed a lot because friendly fire does not flinch. Allies try to “help” the poor little Archer wind up their strikes while getting close. Even if you hit them in your flurry of attacks they will still bring down their weapon on your head (it also seems like hitboxes are a little flawed here). When dealing with enemies you will come into situations where one guy wants to kill you but gets hit by a careless or greedy enemies attack in windup - and still kills you because he does not get flinched for some reason.

• wish list:

release sdk so nabster can release chivalry

• @CRUSHED:

Old Stamina system
    Old Feint system
    CFTP back
    Redo weapon balance from july patch
    Sprintlockout gone
    Old Chase mechanic
    Bubble gone
    Release SDK

Perfect.

Might disagree about bubble, but everything else exactly. Still bummed Promod fell through since TBS doesn’t seem inclined to make decent balance changes anymore….

• Global Moderator

@Tankcommander:

@CRUSHED:

Old Stamina system
    Old Feint system
    CFTP back
    Sprintlockout gone
    Old Chase mechanic
    Bubble gone
    Release SDK

Perfect.

Might disagree about bubble, but everything else exactly. Still bummed Promod fell through since TBS doesn’t seem inclined to make decent balance changes anymore….

Something’s wrong with you.

• why would you want a bubble that doesn’t fix/help anything, yet it’s just there to annoy and handicap you?

• @CRUSHED:

Old Stamina system
    Old Feint system
    CFTP back
    Sprintlockout gone
    Old Chase mechanic
    Bubble gone
    Release SDK

Perfect.

Age of Chivalry’s Sprint system was imo a bit better,

Need a better parry / block mechanic, so you can actually fight back someone who is slash spamming you, atm there is NO punishment.

Less damage on slash skills, their meant for multiple opponents or a wide attack, not a “Duh I’m ganna do the most damage in the shortest time because aiming isn’t worth it”

Pavise Shields need to be useful, they are currently useless other than blocking archery (though a lot of the time you can get hit in the front and take no damage and the arrow is in your shield)

Weapon and Class balance I doubt they look at in detail tbh, so I wouldn’t even bring that up, it’s pointless.

Bubble needs to be a priority along with many of the shield and arrow bugs, but I don’t think that will EVER get fixed.

SDK as said earlier, beta said it was near ready, nothing heard of it since.

• @Saraski:

Need a better parry / block mechanic, so you can actually fight back someone who is slash spamming you, atm there is NO punishment.

can’t deal with lmb bro? only slashes that suck are dagger, other than that they’re pretty fine to me, if someone is just gonna lmb mash, that just makes it easier for me

Less damage on slash skills, their meant for multiple opponents or a wide attack, not a “Duh I’m ganna do the most damage in the shortest time because aiming isn’t worth it”

lol

Pavise Shields need to be useful, they are currently useless other than blocking archery (though a lot of the time you can get hit in the front and take no damage and the arrow is in your shield)

other than blocking archery… hmm… what else are they supposed to do? shoot arrows for you? there’s no point to put them down, just have it on your back so that after you fire, you can just turn your back and reload in pretty good safety instead of having to run behind something each time, duh!
    THATS THE POINT BRUHHH

Weapon and Class balance I doubt they look at in detail tbh, so I wouldn’t even bring that up, it’s pointless.

X_1Kxno1IM4

Bubble needs to be a priority along with many of the shield and arrow bugs, but I don’t think that will EVER get fixed.

see above

SDK as said earlier, beta said it was near ready, nothing heard of it since.

see above.

• Global Moderator

Well Red was wrong in the end wasn’t he.

Anyway see what your “silence strategy” is doing to people? Its only guns get worse torn banner. Your choice. You want it to get worse or you gonna tell the good people what’s happening.

• clayton i’m saying pavise shields are meant to be carried around yes, but also placed.

thats where the problems come into play.

you place the shield, you move, it gets destroyed because you “caught its invisible walk over hitbox” (refers to the patch either in beta or just after release when standing / jumping on one would break it, to stop people like me from using it to get to higher spots)

1 hit = destroyed

archers can even destroy it sometimes when its on the floor, so atm it’s better to just take the ammo, an archer waiting for you to reload will just shoot you in the knees.

or it will just go straight through like the MANY many times a normal shield does.

Hit detection SUCKS.

it’s not the slash that I cannot deal with, it’s the fact that its the most rewarding and quickest skill to use, not to mention you can quickly parry after it, compared to using a shield or other melee weapon, but yes daggers suck mainly cause of bubble.

If you’ve played against some extreme LMB spammers, you’d know that they just take a 2h longsword, the knight, and sprint and spam slash vs a shield user, you are slowed down while you are doing it so they are ALWAYS ganna keep up with you.

The only way you avoid death is a team mate or finding something else for them to hit such as an wall, never anywhere near 1 when you need it,

you can’t just kick them either because it takes too much stam and takes too long, they just recover instantly, compared to when you are out of stamina with a shield, you are pretty much paused for 1.5 - 2 seconds or round about, which is WAY faster than the slash.

not to mention you can still slash while out of stamina (seems to be the only way to go, but also intended i guess)

• sounds like you need to learn to melee instead of playing archer all the time. Light crossbow i presume?

also with the pavise have you ever heard of looking up + crouch when you reload? lolz

and this guy is telling me how to use shields since he plays archer. Sense made.

you can’t deal with lmb’s because you’re a shit archer kid, amirite?

also, none of what you say is correct, except that you CAN slash without stamina, just cannot combo them.

• I’m not sure what to say. If you can’t handle LMB spammers you probably need to work on your basic fighting techniques.

• @clayton-bigsby:

sounds like you need to learn to melee instead of playing archer all the time. Light crossbow i presume?

also with the pavise have you ever heard of looking up + crouch when you reload? lolz

and this guy is telling me how to use shields since he plays archer. Sense made.

you can’t deal with lmb’s because you’re a shit archer kid, amirite?

also, none of what you say is correct, except that you CAN slash without stamina, just cannot combo them.

as with your other post i’ve read, skilled players have the same problem, its too rewarding but if you don’t actually want to improve the game, i guess you could join the other members of the balance council lol.

I’m an archer player, and as most AoC players would know, one of the best xbow players, mainly long range sniping, alongside weasel (-KoTrT- Sir Fergus) and Vq.|Russian Mafia,

So yes I main archer, doesn’t mean I don’t play melee and rape with it either lol, it’s easy enough I’m just saying that Any skilled player could tell you the same thing when they play,

LMB > Reward

From your repeated posts of lack of knowledge i can only assume it’s due to not playing with the right people, or the appropriate times of when those people are on.

it’s a waste of my time to continue replying to you after this post, due to the reasons stated above and the pure contradictions in your posts.

• my lack of knowledge, please…

this is from someone complaining about lmb spam.

so i’ll let that one slide.

long range archer = i like to sit way far away to where no one can hit me and shoot at stuff… but oh by golly when they get close to me those lmb spamz are a huge bummer. If only i knew how to look to the left and click my right mouse button… gall dangit!

i have youtube and twitch channel as a way of determining whether i suck or not.
    but you can talk crap on the internet so i guess you win… but you’re just heresay