Yarr Harr pistol/blunderbuss balance

• Are there any damage charts for the weapons?
    I know this is a long shot being the values are constantly changing but it would be nice to know the damage values.
    (I mainly want to know the damage values of the blunderbuss and the pistol).

Thank you <3

(I changed the name of the thread being a new conversation was starting up)

• Km | Crushed: Damage for blunderbuss is 200, pistol 120

If this is true…
    That is a bit ridiculous.

• yeah I think the pistole needs a little buff.

• ^Hahaha xD

Atleast thats what i was told (hopefully i remember that correctly)

But yeah, blunderbust is really stupid atm :D

• Blunder does damage per each pellet. Also I think a spreadsheet will be ready when they focus on balance a little more.

I’m pretty sure the reality is that for many weapon match ups, numbers on the spreadsheet would be shocking. Which might be distress they’d rather avoid, since weapon balance is not finished anyway. Also they probably want to focus your attention away from balancing so that we can focus on bugs within the core mechanics. But…

I think proper class/weapon balance is pretty much going to make or break the longevity of the game, so I’m just concerned where it is on the priority list, perhaps.

• Blunder does 25 x 8 pellets, so a max of 200. Or I guess a max of 300 if somehow you score a full headshot.

• Shouldn’t the bigger weapon do more damage per shot?

I honestly hold balance over bugs.
    Both are big aspects in my enjoyment of the game, but if something is just ridiculously overpowered it would make me not want to play the game.

• I like the pistol, blunderbust needs fixing tho

• Well against the poor Spartan in training it does 79 damage against a spartan.

Against shields it does 20 damage.

Pistole that is.

• @Sydney:

Shouldn’t the bigger weapon do more damage per shot?

Both are big aspects in my enjoyment of the game, but if something is just ridiculously overpowered it would make me not want to play the game.

Have you had a look at what comes out of the blunderbuss? They’re knives and forks and junk. I reckon he damages are good as they are but I don’t like that they flinch you if it’s a near miss.

• Blunderbuss is being changed to only stagger if at least half the pellets hit you in a single shot.

• I have not had much of an issue with the Blunderbust considering it has little ammo and does very low damage unless you hit someone with every pellet. It is practically useless at extreme to medium ranges except for the knockback. The knockback change that Slygoat suggested seems fine but I am still hesitant considering that knockback is one of the best parts of the blunderbust. It works well in junction with the pistol but not that great on its own.

• @Sydney:

Shouldn’t the bigger weapon do more damage per shot?

To say a bigger weapon should do more damage is advocating for game realism, not game balance. I think the blunder or pistole would probably kill a man in cloth armor (ninja), or at least put him into shock instantly, but I’m not sure that would be balanced OR fun.

@Dr.Nick:

I have not had much of an issue with the Blunderbust considering it has little ammo and does very low damage unless you hit someone with every pellet. It is practically useless at extreme to medium ranges except for the knockback. The knockback change that Slygoat suggested seems fine but I am still hesitant considering that knockback is one of the best parts of the blunderbust. It works well in junction with the pistol but not that great on its own.

The knockback was just too brutal in conjunction with 1 or 2 other pirates/rangers and forced the enemy to use tedious/unfun tactics in order to combat the effectiveness of simply having to shoot near your enemy.

Two or three pirates can fire their blunders alternating between reloads, with someone usually ending a reload around the time an enemy gets pegged with a stun. That person is now dead if a pirate or other ranger ready to aim is an average marksman. The fact that they could do this from 30-40 meters away was silly, and I think sly’s change should mitigate the problem a lot.

I think it’s pretty tricky to balance the blunderbuss. With the stun being nerfed, I feel like it might need 10 ammo, but we’ll see with testing.

• That’s what I JUST said derpasaur. I said that the knockback was only decent was used in junction with other pirates using pistols. It would also be effective with other classes’ ranged weapons. This requires teamwork and timing so I was not against it entirely but I can agree it might have been too effective. I would be in favor of giving the blunderbust more projectiles or a more favorable scatter in exchange for the knockback nerf.

• @Derpasaur:

Two or three pirates can fire their blunders alternating between reloads, with someone usually ending a reload around the time an enemy gets pegged with a stun. That person is now dead if a pirate or other ranger ready to aim is an average marksman. The fact that they could do this from 30-40 meters away was silly, and I think sly’s change should mitigate the problem a lot.

I think it’s pretty tricky to balance the blunderbuss. With the stun being nerfed, I feel like it might need 10 ammo, but we’ll see with testing.

Does anyone else feel that something that can one shot at close range with very little you can do about it anti-fun regardless of arguments for its balance? Granted I don’t feel that it is balanced in the context of a good team taking a game seriously, but that not withstanding, I still feel that a mechanic that makes a 1v1 largely more dependent on the skill of one combatant than the other is anti-fun.

• @Dr.Nick:

That’s what I JUST said derpasaur. I said that the knockback was only decent was used in junction with other pirates using pistols. It would also be effective with other classes’ ranged weapons. This requires teamwork and timing so I was not against it entirely but I can agree it might have been too effective. I would be in favor of giving the blunderbust more projectiles or a more favorable scatter in exchange for the knockback nerf.

I wasn’t specifically attacking you, but elaborating on why it’s a big problem O_o…

Having a consistent spread sounds good on paper, but without damage falloff, it might create a free kill on anyone with low or even medium health. With it’s one hit kill potential, I think the versatility of easier target finishing would be arguably stronger than the knockback.

@HeightofAbsurdity:

@Derpasaur:

Does anyone else feel that something that can one shot at close range with very little you can do about it anti-fun regardless of arguments for its balance? Granted I don’t feel that it is balanced in the context of a good team taking a game seriously, but that not withstanding, I still feel that a mechanic that makes a 1v1 largely more dependent on the skill of one combatant than the other is anti-fun.

I think the main problem might be that there are ways to deal with the blunderbuss better but that they largely aren’t fun. I.e. having to use up one of two inventory slots for a smoke pot, or putting away the weapon you like in favor of a shield, or having to flank excessively (which often doesn’t even work, since the closer you get to a blunderbuss, the more damage you take), or wearing down their ammo count over time.

Team Fortress 2 has an instant-kill class, but has a seemless way of dealing with them through simple awareness and casual spy checking, which don’t impact your gameplay experience too much, IMO.

• @SlyGoat:

Blunderbuss is being changed to only stagger if at least half the pellets hit you in a single shot.

Yeah it felt weird taking about 15 damage and then staggering for ages.