Dear Community…

• NOTE BEFORE YOUR RESPOND:
    @b3h47pte:

Inappropriate/off-topic responses will be promptly deleted and/or warned at my discretion. You have been warned.

Disclaimer: Just to clarify, this is my OWN opinion and not what Torn Banner thinks. I do not work for them nor do I speak for them. I speak for only myself and what I see is happening and the perspective of everything I see. Just in case anyone decided to say anything.

It has come to my attention that there has been some complaints regarding the game or Torn Banner or Deadliest Warrior.

I thought I’d take my time to do my best to explain everything to you so hopefully you have a better understanding.

I’m going to break this down into sections:

1) Communication
    2) Torn Banner
    3) The Game
    4) Deadliest Warrior
    5) Game Support/Technical Help
    6) Community/Moderators
    7) Conclusion

Communication

Lets start with everyone’s favourite Community Manager, Kimiko.

People complain that she does not accept anyone on Steam. There’s nothing wrong with her only wanting friends on her Steam list. If she had open invitation, she’d be bombarded all day with requests and messages. There’s still many ways to get a hold of her:

1) Her email: Kimiko@Tornbanner.com
    2) Make a topic in a forum or make a post in one similar to what you want to say/complain about.
    3) She has a Steam group that you can post where she replies: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/kimimail

It seems people forget that she is one person that does many, many things for the team and the community.

For those that say that there hasn’t been any communication, you’re not looking hard enough.

Has there been as much communication as in the summer? No. But has there still been communication? Plenty. I’ll even be kind enough to point out where they are:

Patch 1: http://tornbanner.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23076
    Patch 1 Hotfix: http://tornbanner.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23225
    Preorder info: http://tornbanner.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23074
    Various posts throughout the forums.
    Not to mention, this community event.

The team answers questions that people have but when a question gets asked multiple times, there is no sense in answering it over and over again.

What’s different between then and now? No Friday updates. It makes sense though because there were Fridays when there wasn’t really anything to say. Granted, whether there was information or not, people still complained. From what I’ve been told, there’s about to be a whole bunch of more communication, so everyone will get their fair share of information.

For anyone that has Facebook, they also have a group/page you can follow:

https://www.facebook.com/Chivalrythegame

Torn Banner

I know most of the community has no idea what it takes to do game development. That’s fine.

However, some assume that no matter what, there should be things automatically fixed. That’s where they lack the information.

Torn Banner has a great team of 16 people. Let’s break it down:

1 Team Lead, 4 Programmers, 1 musician and audio, 1 animator, 3 environment artists, 1 level designer, 1 UI artist, 1 character artist, 1 3D artist, 1 community manager and 1 QA.

However, that’s being ignorant and giving them “titles”, when they actually wear many different hats as they so eloquently said in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6EPK4x0PZ8

They’re a small team so they don’t do just “one” thing, they do as many things as they can to help contribute towards the game.

Now, as for any bugs, most people look towards the programmers.

They have 4, which you may think is enough but when you break that down, you start to see why things get overflowed.

They have to implement animations, UI, levels, weapons, multiplayer, sound, music, etc. Just about everything in the game. Also they have to take all the assets from each person, so basically for one
    programmer, there’s 3 people each giving them information and/or assets. I don’t know about you guys but having 3 people for 1, could easily be overwhelming for that programmer.

They are not a huge studio, they are a small team that have been doing their absolute best to create a game that we all enjoy. It’s their first major title so obviously there are going to be good parts and bad but that’s part of the learning process.

Anyone who thinks they don’t “listen” or don’t “care” are in nicer terms, crazy. They hear what everyone has to say, and they have to find the balance in what the community wants vs what they want vs whats best for the game. They do what they can with the resources they have to provide us with a great game and content.

It’s funny to me that the big time studios can get away with giving out the same game year after year with the same bugs or slight improvements and it’s okay. Yet, a small team like Torn Banner, has put out a game which is not even a year old and they suddenly receive hate and flack like no tomorrow.

The Game

There is a huge difference between pointing out what’s wrong and being negative. Are there things that should already be fixed? Yeah, but that doesn’t mean those problems are being ignored. There are things that have been fixed and there will continue to be things getting fixed. The studio has not suddenly dropped support as much as people like to think due to Deadliest Warrior, it’s quite the opposite. They think that Deadliest Warrior is their way to just make more money while ignoring Chivalry, which is definitely not the case.

How about we break that down for those that are unsure of how the profits vs revenues work.

Revenue: Money made before costs. Profit: Made made after costs.

For each sale of the game, Steam takes a cut from that. Then as a studio, they have to pay rental space, insurance, health benefits, internet, government taxes, business fees, server costs, etc. That’s even before each member gets paid. Also, looking at game sales, a lot of people prefer to buy the game at a discount, which for this game is generally 7-8 dollars. So even though they sold 1.2 million copies, that is not guaranteed that each sale is full price.

So whatever money is leftover, after paying off all the costs, finally gets to go towards the team and some put away in case of emergency. They’re probably living comfortable, which is good considering most of them migrated from many places to all be in one studio.

Yet people seem to think that Torn Banner is milking them out of their money. Which I don’t understand.

If you bought the game for the discount price then how are you complaining when you got it for that price?

If you bought the game for full price, then you should read this next part:

Torn Banner has continually given out patches AND content for free. They gave out maps, modes and customization for FREE. 95% of studios would have charged you money for that easily. Look at how many hours you put into this game for the price vs the amount of hours you put into a full retail game made by a huge studio.

So as they continue to work on the game, making it better and trying to always find a good balance, they also provide free things to you. The only thing they ever charged for was helmets which is completely optionally, yet you get to still customize your character for free. So now, as the first year comes up, maybe money is becoming a bit tighter, also there is the possibility that they need more money to do bigger things for Chivalry. Which brings me to my next section, Deadliest Warrior.

Deadliest Warrior

Here comes SpikeTV who has taken noticed of Torn Banner’s game and they figure that they’d like to get TB to make a game/expansion which incorporates their Deadliest Warrior franchise. Well if you’re confused why Spike would want that and why Torn Banner would agree, here’s some possible reasons:

1) SpikeTV wants more exposure to Deadliest Warrior. Possibly they are going to bring the show back or go forth with the movie they have planned.

2) Torn Banner says yes because the money they would make would allow them to do even more. Plus you don’t agree to do work for a company without getting paid. Common sense 101.

3) Torn Banner gets HUGE exposure through SpikeTV. Think about the commercials that people will see with the game. All of a sudden, TB has a boost in sales. That can now allow them to possibly higher more people and keep them even more financially secured. More people = faster fixes, more financially secured = gets to do more things.

4) It allows Torn Banner to try new things that they otherwise would not be allowed to do in the base game.

If you can’t understand why they are making the expansion then try to understand from a business perspective. They get exposure, money and possibly a lot more fans.

I wouldn’t be surprised that while they have made Deadliest Warrior, they’ve also fixed many problems that people complain about which will be released with the expansion. So not only will the main game have it’s fixes but Deadliest Warrior will be a more up to date game of what the team continues to work towards.

Also, as soon as they finish the expansion. Guess what they will have? Free time. That means they can do more patches, more content, release the SDK, etc. So there is absolutely no negatives for Deadliest Warrior. From what I hear, once everyone plays it, they’ll agree.

Game/Technical Support

Now, if you are having any problems regarding the game. There is a wonderful support section you can post in that either a moderator, Torn Banner member or fellow community member can help you out with.

You can go to the support section, which is broken down into three sections.

Bugs (Found a bug in game): http://tornbanner.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=87
    Technical Help(Need help with the game): http://tornbanner.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=69
    Server Operator Hub (Discuss server issues/solutions): http://tornbanner.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=72

Also your problem may be related to Steam or UDK so don’t be afraid to google the solution too, because you could just find the solution.

The Community and Moderators

The community here is great. A lot of people get a long and even if they don’t then MOST of the time they can disagree with respect.

For those that can’t, you need to remember that there NEVER is a just reason to attack someone’s character because you don’t agree with them. Even if you think that what they said was absolutely absurd and makes zero sense, don’t start making personal attacks. Instead, just either point out why you think they are wrong, in a logical way, and then present your own opinion.

Also, as I have mentioned before, there is a big difference between giving criticism/feedback whether good or bad and being downright negative.

Here is an example of good negative feedback:

http://tornbanner.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23084

Lemoneater and fellow community members make some points as to why they dislike something and what they think Torn Banner should do.

Awesome, that’s good feedback. Present what you like or don’t like, explain why you don’t then explain what you think they can do to change it. Not only will it go a long way but it will also be easier for Torn Banner to take in the information and possibly use it.

There is also many sections to the forums that people can check out.

One thing which applies to the forums and in-game is don’t be afraid to help out new players. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, even until my face becomes blue.

Helping out new players allows them to get better. The better the more players are, the better a community is. Don’t forget that you were once a “noob” yourself and if you were lucky enough to have someone help you, pay it forward.

What’s more satisfying? Beating someone that doesn’t know much or having a good battle against someone with your skill level?

Take some time out to show them a tip or two. As funny as I’m sure it is to recommend F10 for everything, actually show them what they want to know. Because if you can make the players better, you’ll also have better teamwork which means more victories. You can be the greatest player but if the rest of your team has no idea what they’re doing or hasn’t had someone show them some tips, then you’re only going to lose as an individual and as a team.

Now, as a community member, don’t be afraid to get involved in the community just because of one or two bad apples. Learn to deal with those people by brushing them off or not giving them any reaction, because if you can do that, they’ll either stop or get so mad they’ll quit.

There is a community event section for people to make their own events. Maybe you want to get a whole bunch of people together on a certain map and play a certain class with certain rules or maybe you just want a bunch of people from the community together at once. Well then make an event specifying that and get people to join.

Last thing regarding the community is that we’re all one group. We all play and enjoy Chivalry, we all come here to talk and discuss. If you want this place to be better, then be a good role model for others and show others how to be or show others how to express your opinion.

Torn Banner is happy to hear people’s opinions but if all you’re going to do is try to tear them down, then do you really expect them to give you any sort of attention? Imagine what it’d be like to come on here and read some really horrid things only to be put off. If you’re not happy with the game, then that’s fine, but at least respect their efforts.

Regarding the moderators, some people have problems with us or they think we don’t have opinions of our own.

That’s not the case. We can talk about what we like and don’t like as much as anyone else. The only difference between us and some of the community members is that we’re able to do it in a respectful manner. We’re also trying to set good examples, so you’ll never see us say anything senseless because there’s never a good reason to. If we disagree with someone, we’ll state it, if we agree with someone, we’ll state it too.

Moderators are no different than community members, but how we present ourselves is something that hopefully everyone can strive towards.

We don’t get paid for doing this and we don’t do it for the sake of doing it. We do it out of love for the game, for Torn Banner and for the community. We want to see this place continue to grow and evolve to be better and better.

It’s our job and in our best interests to make sure that everyone works together as a community, regardless of their opinion of the game. So if you don’t like one of us, that’s fine, but at least we have a legitimate reason for doing what we do. We don’t censor anyone or quiet anyone just because they have an opinion different from us, we do it because we clean any toxic waste that comes in here. If you have opinions, thoughts, reviews and such to share then by all means, do so, we would love to hear. Just never hate towards the studio, a moderator or fellow member because you’re doing nothing but setting the community back.

Conclusion

There is a lot of information to take in here. Hopefully, if you actually read it all then you’ll have a better understanding of where Torn Banner is coming from. You’ll also understand fellow community members more and know what part you can play to make the game and this place better.

Everyone here strives towards pushing this game to be the best it can be and there are always reasons for Torn Banner to do what they do.

As previously stated, they’re a great group that consists of men, a woman and a goat that make this game that we love to play. They do their best to push it in directions that make it even better.

If anyone has any questions, comments, complaints, then please, by all means, post it and I will be more than happy to address it. :)

• Shouldn’t this really be something that a CM should be posting and not a forum mod? I see where you’re coming from and that your intentions are nothing but positive, but I would really rather hear what TB themselves have to say on the current state of the game.

• @DokB:

Shouldn’t this really be something that a CM should be posting and not a forum mod? I see where you’re coming from and that your intentions are nothing but positive, but I would really rather hear what TB themselves have to say on the current state of the game.

That would be an entirely different topic. This is not about the state of the game, it’s about the state of the community, which is something a moderator would have a lot of input about.

• Yeah but the community is all about the game and a large portion of the community is upset about the game.

• @DokB:

Yeah but the community is all about the game and a large portion of the community is upset about the game.

That’s fine. You can enjoy the game or be upset, but how you go about that is the point I’m getting at.

I’m putting things into perspective for those that may be upset so maybe they can understand where Torn Banner is coming from.

Also, I’m making a point on how people should express their opinions and the differences between doing it with good reason instead of just saying whatever horrible things you can.

• So you’re basically just reiterating this thread?

And as you said, if this is more about the community than the game, wouldn’t this just strengthen my point on this being more of a job for the CM? Moderators are there only to keep the forums clean and manageable (at least partially). You are as informed as I am on how TB operates.

• Somewhat that thread but also my own opinion as well.

By explaining what makes a good post instead of a bad one is a great way to clean up the forum.

Also, being a moderator does give us some insight to things so that way we’re not running around with our heads cut off. :)

• Thanks for sharing.

• @DokB:

Thanks for sharing.

Anytime. :)

As a moderator if I can do anything to make this a better place than I shall. This is one way to do so.

• I think you’ve rather missed DokB’s point. Always nice to see pompoms though.

• @BillDoor:

I think you’ve rather missed DokB’s point. Always nice to see pompoms though.

His point is that he’d like to see something said from Torn Banner. When they decide to make their own statement then they will.

I’m still entitled to state what I think and what a good community member is.

• Oh dear.

You’d better hope the first few people who sees this are understanding reasonable people. Otherwise prepare for the shit to hit the fan. The community will now study all of what you wrote and look for loopholes errors stuff you didn’t mention then post it and kick up a big fuss about it and if you try using your powers to intervene well all you do is dig the hole deeper.

I’ve seen moderators do this before. It never goes down well. The major problem is you can’t change the community. While know what you said is pretty much true, most people are super paranoid. And you aren’t exactly an official source.

This paranoia is rising. Their lack of communication is the problem. And yes there is a lack. If there wasn’t a lack of it you wouldn’t see all this paranoia and people jumping to conclusions. Sure sly and kimi are around to say things to people. Problem is them replying to posts isn’t seen by most people. I knew that patch was coming. Not many others did though. Because they didn’t talk about it in the official announcements section.

That’s Their problem at the moment. The official announcements section isn’t getting much attention.

• @lemonater47:

I expect there to be people who disagree entirely with everything I said. I’m okay with that and if they want to post saying otherwise then so be it.

As a player and moderator, I’d like to see the community become better.

Do people have a right to feel upset? Of course.
    Am I saying that they can’t be? Not at all.

What I can do is set guidelines for the community. As I have stated, I would never do anything to quiet someone because they think opposite than me.

There has been a bit of lack of communication. I’ve acknowledge it, others have and I’m sure even Kimi has. However, I’m sure that it will be picked up.

As for the patch, there is a topic that you can find in the Official News. The problem is, is that some people don’t bother to check for information.

Which is what one part of my original post says as I point out where you can find information.

• @Keith:

@lemonater47:

I expect there to be people who disagree entirely with everything I said. I’m okay with that and if they want to post saying otherwise then so be it.

As a player and moderator, I’d like to see the community become better.

Do people have a right to feel upset? Of course.
    Am I saying that they can’t be? Not at all.

What I can do is set guidelines for the community. As I have stated, I would never do anything to quiet someone because they think opposite than me.

There has been a bit of lack of communication. I’ve acknowledge it, others have and I’m sure even Kimi has. However, I’m sure that it will be picked up.

As for the patch, there is a topic that you can find in the Official News. The problem is, is that some people don’t bother to check for information.

Which is what one part of my original post says as I point out where you can find information.

You people do check it. BUT They didn’t mention the patch until the day they released it. That’s the problem. It might sound strange but that’s the problem. Just saying in the official announcements section “hey we have a patch PLANNED” would have calmed down people weeks before the actual patch. Stick it in the beta and boom you actually make people happy as well. I knew it was coming as I read a post by slygoat in some random thread. Problem was it wasn’t in the official announcements section before the release.

• Inappropriate/off-topic responses will be promptly deleted and/or warned at my discretion. You have been warned.

• @lemonater47:

You people do check it. BUT They didn’t mention the patch until the day they released it. That’s the problem. It might sound strange but that’s the problem. Just saying in the official announcements section “hey we have a patch PLANNED” would have calmed down people weeks before the actual patch. Stick it in the beta and boom you actually make people happy as well. I knew it was coming as I read a post by slygoat in some random thread. Problem was it wasn’t in the official announcements section before the release.

Ah, I understand. That’s a valid point. They could have done that. Which is exactly where we could make improvements by letting them know that.

Your post is a good example of why pointing out things and why it should be done is great criticism.

What my problem is, is that instead of doing anything remotely close to that, you’ll find posts like

“TB doesn’t know what they’re doing.” “TB is lazy.” “TB is hiding or not paying attention to us.”, etc.

Things like that will get none of us anywhere, but if people made more posts like you did then this place would be a lot better.

• @Keith:

@lemonater47:

Ah, I understand. That’s a valid point. They could have done that. Which is exactly where we could make improvements by letting them know that.

Your post is a good example of why pointing out things and why it should be done is great criticism.

What my problem is, is that instead of doing anything remotely close to that, you’ll find posts like

“TB doesn’t know what they’re doing.” “TB is lazy.” “TB is hiding or not paying attention to us.”, etc.

Things like that will get none of us anywhere, but if people made more posts like you did then this place would be a lot better.

Yes that’s a problem.

• I think that wanting the developer of your favorite game to stay in touch is reasonable, and I want that too. In this case (And other cases I had before) it isn’t happening.

All I am getting from these many ‘game sucks/dying/is shit/etc’ threads which often has the same people posting the same trash talk about their favorite (apparently) game developer is basically my younger brother standing next to my shoulder while I was working on something and poking me in the shoulder while repeating: “What are you doing now?? – What about now?” – this nagging is not constructive. If anything I would just ignore the person who kept nagging me. I could certainly see this as one of the reasons nobody from TBS has said anything on the forums to this date.

While its not right that they aren’t keeping their community updated on the forums they do keep updating other venues of information like on steam and through various gaming media. I think some people have a false belief that being a member of this forum entitles them to fresh “out of the oven” information way before anyone else.

For whatever reason it is, the game developer chose to keep updating on these specific venues. Maybe its because they don’t want to tell us all about what they are doing… some people like to keep the suspense. Maybe its because all they see here is “nag nag… you suck… blah blah” topics. Which would really discourage me if I was in their shoes…
    Additionally… If you think there is not enough coverage… why has none of you who do asked to help with the community newsletter for example. Maybe TBS doesn’t have the manpower or funds to hire media coverage?? Did you consider that maybe CDW is being made for that media coverage?

Like Keith, I also cannot understand why everyone riles up about Torn Banner while staying cool about publishers like Bethesda or Electronic Arts… or Rockstar… Were not a lot of you super excited about GTA-5 which was recently released? And honestly what is really grounds-breaking new in that game? Is it not the same copy of GTA-3/4/etc in a different better looking wrapper?

After seeing a lot of regulars who only comment on topics about how this game sucks I cannot help but ask… do you really like this game and the community so much? If so- how come you’re only there to agree when someone trash talks this game? Why don’t I see you post on any other topics? Or why don’t you start them yourselves? Also to the person who said that the community will start studying the loopholes in what they said… etc… I think that the people who are going to do that are flamers who enjoy starting up dissent in an otherwise great community. And as a member of this community who i think states they care about it you should care enough to emigrate this phenomenon by ignoring these people and their useless post space since nothing constructive will come out of it.

I think that some people believe that the developers are here as entertainers and that since they paid between 7 to 25 USD they hold a golden ticket. - I don’t think that the CM should post anything like this since they already posted something about it. Something which a lot of the people didn’t really pay notice to apparently. Also, despite wanting to, I don’t think that buying a game entitles anyone to ANY KIND OF INTERACTION WITH THE DEVELOPERS and that its already a privilege that we do get any. We certainly wont get it in any other publishers/developer companies as far as I can tell. What makes it a status-quote here? Because its an Indie-Developer?? I think that’s nonsense.
    I am pretty sure my opinions about how EA should have done Battlefield 3 would never even be looked over.

I think the most trivial thing is how people ruin their own favorite game by posting such rubbish (non constructive complaints and nagging) on the forum. There were several posts about these topics already. We get it- you don’t think its going good and you are entitled to think so and say you think so but there is no reason to start more and more topics about it! I could easily imagine a new player who signs up here being discouraged from playing or getting involved when the top-posts on most forums are complains, nags and general mock of the game. – If you love this game so much… you could start by not spreading this toxic discouraging nonsense around, being patient and waiting. I think that this game is doing great, and all the Nay-Sayers out there are simply trying to put a foot down in the way because they have zero patience.

Yes, its not a bad thing to wait. There are tons of other things that you can do with your time, here are some examples:

• Builds Maps or Mods for this game.
    • Learn how to Build maps or mods for this game.
    • Manage/Host game events with friends.
    • Manage/Host training sessions for new players.
    • Create contests and tournaments for clans/non-clans
    • Create instructional guides / videos
    • Create Video Art about the game.
    • Create Graphic Art about the game.
    • Write fan fiction about the game.
    • Talk about other games.
    • Meet/Group up with players on Chivalry to play other games.
    • Organize/Host IRL chivalry meet ups and hang out.
    • Create forum games and play them.
    • Discuss offline activities.
    • Meet up for offline activities.
    • Create utilities for the game.
    • Create physical fan-art and send it to torn banner to show how much you really love this game.
    • Organize a community meetings and fly over to Toronto with food and drink and surprise Torn Banner by showing them how much you love them and care for this game.
    • Buy more copies of this game and give them out to other people.
    • Play other games you like.
    • Do other offline things you like doing.
    • Buy User a coffee.

And many many more… I would personally pick the last one though :D

• In my opinion I think the amount of communication by TB, or lack there off, should be put towards clarification.
    Too many times people raise their concern about a particular aspect of the game that they find most important, only to get addressed broadly in another thread with “we are aware of bugs, mechanics etc. and rest assured we are working on it”.
    We need more clarification than that, it means nothing if we have to second guess whether they acknowledged our individual issue/complaint.

Understandably, It is impossible to answer every individuals concerns and getting the same questions over and over again is very frustrating. I completely understand TB, for not answering a question for the umpteenth time or ignoring someones completely aggressive rant, but they have made it harder for themselves with how the forums are structured.
    Some proper non-replyable sticky threads, that outright list all the issues/bugs (dev confirmed) and actually get updated on a regular basis, will go a long way in reassuring the community.

Almost all other forum sites I have been on have a list of 5 or 6 stickies that officially answer/list many common questions and concerns. I feel TB lacks this at the moment.

• @jrmftw:

In my opinion I think the amount of communication by TB, or lack there off, should be put towards clarification.
    Too many times people raise their concern about a particular aspect of the game that they find most important, only to get addressed broadly in another thread with “we are aware of bugs, mechanics etc. and rest assured we are working on it”.
    We need more clarification than that, it means nothing if we have to second guess whether they acknowledged our individual issue/complaint.

Understandably, It is impossible to answer every individuals concerns and getting the same questions over and over again is very frustrating. I completely understand TB, for not answering a question for the umpteenth time or ignoring someones completely aggressive rant, but they have made it harder for themselves with how the forums are structured.
    Some proper non-replyable sticky threads, that outright list all the issues/bugs (dev confirmed) and actually get updated on a regular basis, will go a long way in reassuring the community.

Almost all other forum sites I have been on have a list of 5 or 6 stickies that officially answer/list many common questions and concerns. I feel TB lacks this at the moment.

Most other forums are structured differently and have less sections.