No feinting for shield users

• Idea: Shield users are not allowed to feint. They can still cancel their attack and raise the shield.

Would that destroy shields completely? What if they get other bonuses (like less stamina drain or cancel attack at any point in windup)? I am not proposing this, I just want to discuss since I can’t really tell the effects this would have.

• They would just cancel the attack, raise the shield for a split second and then attack…

• Shields already get raped by maul so theres no reason to nerf them more :D

• That’s why people should learn to use more than 1 weapon so you don’t get screwed by the maul as a person who main shield, instead you might pick up a poleaxe or whatever.
    On topic: it’s hard to drag with 1hs as it is and knights are a bit slower than MAAs so they got a hard time getting around peoples block, imo people who use shields need feints while facing people who are better than avarage. Then again with the ridicolous speed of weapons with shields I myself can’t read the feints and I get where you’re coming from.

• @Daiyuki:

They would just cancel the attack, raise the shield for a split second and then attack…

That could be done by some kind of cooldown/recovery/lockout.

@CRUSHED:

Shields already get raped by maul so theres no reason to nerf them more :D

The thing is, you don’t always have a maul in your backpack. The shield user however can just put away his shield and norse, and suddenly he is a messer knight.

@Xylvion:

That’s why people should learn to use more than 1 weapon so you don’t get screwed by the maul as a person who main shield, instead you might pick up a poleaxe or whatever.
    On topic: it’s hard to drag with 1hs as it is and knights are a bit slower than MAAs so they got a hard time getting around peoples block, imo people who use shields need feints while facing people who are better than avarage. Then again with the ridicolous speed of weapons with shields I myself can’t read the feints and I get where you’re coming from.

Yeah it is just frustrating when you get feinted to death while knowing that the guy with the shield couldn’t read a single feint himself. I just don’t like that they profit so much from a game mechanic they are pretty much immune against.

• lol this is too funny, you are whining about getting beat by a fake swing thats hilarious.

no more nerfs man, the game is hanging on by a thread geez, when the player base hits 500 a day will you wake up then?

nerfs are what ruined this game and created most of the bugs, we deff do not need any more nerfs.

• @fvonb:

Yeah it is just frustrating when you get feinted to death while knowing that the guy with the shield couldn’t read a single feint himself. I just don’t like that they profit so much from a game mechanic they are pretty much immune against.

oh they’re quite immune to drags as well, obviously you can drag past a newbs shield, but really good players like Puma or Sponge are more or less impossible to kill with drags/feints, you have to keep pummeling that shield over and over until their stamina is drain. So when shield users whine about maul it’s the same as people whining about feints/drags.

• No reason to nerf shields even more. They could need a straight buff (in stamina drain/kick interaction) and a hitbox that matches their size. And why would you be unable to feint when using a shield anyways?

• @Evil:

No reason to nerf shields even more. They could need a straight buff (in stamina drain/kick interaction) and a hitbox that matches their size. And why would you be unable to feint when using a shield anyways?

I agree.

• The point of this idea is…?

• The point is that they use the most controversial game mechanic while themselves being immune to it. And that is not cool. In my opinion. I would like to give shields other buffs so they play a different role.

• @fvonb:

The point is that they use the most controversial game mechanic while themselves being immune to it. And that is not cool. In my opinion. I would like to give shields other buffs so they play a different role.

Shield users are far from being immune to feints. You can feint a shlash from left, then make a slash from the right, or you can feint and kick. Feint and kick is effective as hell.

• @Peter:

Shield users are far from being immune to feints. You can feint a shlash from left, then make a slash from the right, or you can feint and kick. Feint and kick is effective as hell.

In my experience feint + kick is a waste of stamina. I don’t think I’ve ever managed to pull that off against better shield users like puma, najo, sponge.

• @fvonb:

@Peter:

In my experience feint + kick is a waste of stamina. I don’t think I’ve ever managed to pull that off against better shield users like puma, najo, sponge.

When you do pull it off against a good player you die because you feel way too proud of yourself and excited. You stop playing properly.

• @lemonater47:

@fvonb:

@Peter:

When you do pull it off against a good player you die because you feel way too proud of yourself and excited. You stop playing properly.

You don’t pull it off because they lower their shield during your kick animation. Every. Time.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

@lemonater47:

@fvonb:

You don’t pull it off because they lower their shield during your kick animation. Every. Time.

Well I’ve only done it once properly against a good shield user.

• I must admit that dropping the shield in time is a skill they learned and not everyone can pull off with limited view, but so is feint reading/handling. And I would say that is much, much harder.

So what about this:

• no feinting for shield users

• can raise shield at any point in time during windup but can’t attack for 1 second after such a cancel

• reduced daze time for shield users after getting kicked so it’s not always a guaranteed hit

• ripostes for shields

• no stam drain for holding shield up

Effectively removing feints in 1vs1 situations, so shields would be the go to equipment for people who can’t read/handle feints. Plus being a nice defensive equipment for TO, like blocking arrows from someone who is shooting the ballista.

• @fvonb:

ripostes for shields

Not too sure how that would look to be honest. What if instead of a riposte they had a way to initiate an instant strong shield-bash after a successful block? Could be a nice defensive/offensive move, and would give people a reason to play shields other than some feint resistance/projectile protection.

• The only real problem with shields is the stamina issue. You have to be so leet to make shields work.

Buckler shield punch is very useful and fast. i think if you want that ability then just pick the buckler which also has the fastest raise and drop speed.

That said, all shield raise and drop times are too long.

I guess no feinting for shield users would be a good first phase in removing feints altogether :D

• @LTTLWLF:

What if instead of a riposte they had a way to initiate an instant strong shield-bash after a successful block?

How would they benefit from this? Imo, that would just help against other shield users, otherwise just a waste of expensive stamina.

@giantyak:

The only real problem with shields is the stamina issue. You have to be so leet to make shields work.

The stamina issue? Stamina is their only enemy.
    You have to be leet as a non-shield user not to die before you get the shield user to a daze, which results in one hit for you.
    Imo there is no stamina management as shield user, there is kill management, as in kill the enemy before he gets you to daze.

I don’t want to nerf them, I want them to be different. Shield vs shield looks quite good actually from a spectating perspective (I’ve never tried it myself). But non-shield vs shield is just boring and at the same time really hard for the non-shield guy (except for maul). I would even prefer the damaging/destruction of shields like in Mount & Blade as to what we have now.