Attack Interruption..

• What changed in melee? Did the window between windup and connect shorten considerably?
    It used to be if you landed a hit on enemy windup, their attack would falter… now it seems no matter when I land, their attack also lands (no lag, any server).
    This is especially devastating to archers, and greatly beneficial to wild swingers.
    Even if I pull off a perfect duck/block/kick and attack, chances are their attack is also getting through.
    Anyone know what exactly changed, and for love of the gods, can we change it back?

• For some odd reason flinch does not apply when hit by an ally. Other than this it still works - if you can hit them. When using a dagger you might be as close as possible and still not having the reach to get the hit in - thanks to a invisible collision bubble that prevents backstabbing and footwork.

• flinch is what makes hitting an enemy great,if you want to compare just watch skyrm combat where it’s like you are fighting against zombies that don’t feel pain,they only way is to power attack but it’s still limited.
    When enemy weapon is slow you have more time to interrupt the enemy with the flinch,the problem is with fast weapons like you said that the time that you have to stop them is so small that you often trade hits or lose if ur timing is not right,but once you get a good timing a trade hit is enough to take out an archer,just be carefull since the main way to defend for archers is to wait that an opponent strikes ––>parry and use that opportunity to close the distance and hit you.

• @Evil:

For some odd reason flinch does not apply when hit by an ally. Other than this it still works - if you can hit them. When using a dagger you might be as close as possible and still not having the reach to get the hit in - thanks to a invisible collision bubble that prevents backstabbing and footwork.

I’ve noticed that it doesn’t work on allies (thankfully, makes griefing and accidental team hits more manageable). I use shortsword, and this is happening when I facehug+stab direct hits to enemy torso.

@AndreaTheArcher:

flinch is what makes hitting an enemy great,if you want to compare just watch skyrm combat where it’s like you are fighting against zombies that don’t feel pain,they only way is to power attack but it’s still limited.
    When enemy weapon is slow you have more time to interrupt the enemy with the flinch,the problem is with fast weapons like you said that the time that you have to stop them is so small that you often trade hits or lose if ur timing is not right,but once you get a good timing a trade hit is enough to take out an archer,just be carefull since the main way to defend for archers is to wait that an opponent strikes ––>parry and use that opportunity to close the distance and hit you.

I agree, much harder with faster weapons, but this is now happening with things like non-drag/non-crouch overhand zweihander. They’ll windup, and right when their arms start to pump I’ll stab torso. Even if I hit right when their windup starts, the zwei will come crashing through my face causing instant death. Like I was saying in first post, I’ll block, attack during blockstun and still get hit. It’s happening to everyone else I’ve talked to as well, just in the last couple weeks.

Just a little disconcerting is all. I like most of the new changes and have mad love for the game and the devs, but this one is really making melee kind of ridiculous. I don’t want swordplay to be reduced to ‘swingswingswing=profit’ or ‘biggest stick wins’ type of deal.

Read: I’m level 45, have been main Warbow+Shortsword for the last 30 levels.

• I have noticed this happening quite often, particularly with vanguard weapons. It’s increasingly frustrating when coupled with the fact that spears/brandistocks always seem to cause flinch in release (I generally play 2H SoW knight).

• Yeah, this happens a lot and has been mentioned a few times.
    I’ve stopped playing the javelineer because of it, you get 1shot so easily that its just game breaking for the javelin player.
    This problem does influence what loadout you take which is disappointing.

@LTTLWLF:

I have noticed this happening quite often, particularly with vanguard weapons. It’s increasingly frustrating when coupled with the fact that spears/brandistocks always seem to cause flinch in release (I generally play 2H SoW knight).

and WTF is with flinch in release!!!

• @giantyak:

and WTF is with flinch in release!!!

It does my head in. Parrying an attack from a spear and timing a nice stab riposte does nothing. With the knockback from spear weapons coupled with them backpedalling and the slow closing speed of the knight, they can get a stab in as you’re about to land a hit, and surprise surprise, your attack gets cancelled. So very frustrating.

• Well with the patch that everyone likes so much, more or less every windup got shorter (to nerf feints) and therefore it’s also a shorter window to interrupt attacks.

• Practice on your timings.