October 10th Major Gameplay Changes Feedback

• As of the latest build we’ve included some relatively major tweaks to a couple gameplay mechanics. The enemy collision radius has been reduced by 50%, with tweaks to the default rotation of block boxes to make blocking more precise. Additionally, parry in recovery and combo parry have both been removed. Leave your feedback on these changes here.

• I’ve been dueling around, and it feels much much better already. The reduction in bubble size has made an enormous change in the combat, and helps it significantly. I don’t feel like I’m bashing my head against a wall trying to get in close to hit someone. I’m also not having issues with players clipping through my own camera, so none of that hidden attack non-sense. The best change with the bubble reduction, is that when I commit to an attack, the players no longer slip around my bubble as intensely. Overall, massive improvement here. I wouldn’t go any lower, or any higher with the bubble size.
    Additionally: Riposting is now a more useful tool, since before the bubble kept us at a good enough length where after a successful parry, your target would simply walk away from the riposte.

Parry in recovery, I thought I’d miss this one, but I don’t actually. Being “super defensive” isn’t the best strategy as far as I’ve seen. Sure you can dance around to force misses, but in the end the aggressor is the one who makes the attack, and he can feint it / decide when to commit. Chronic back pedaling is still not as effective a strategy as a good mixture of offense and defense. I’m also a huge fan of this because, as a player who uses long reaching weapons, I couldn’t properly punish one hand players who would purposefully miss and panic parry to get in close to my face (without anticipating the panic parry and using a feint).

Overall, keep up these types of changes. I like them a lot.

• @SlyGoat:

As of the latest build we’ve included some relatively major tweaks to a couple gameplay mechanics. The enemy collision radius has been reduced by 50%, with tweaks to the default rotation of block boxes to make blocking more precise. Additionally, parry in recovery and combo parry have both been removed. Leave your feedback on these changes here.

• I haven’t been able to play much DW but it seems like a huge improvement as far as fun and fluidity goes since the last hours i logged. Definitely a fan of the bubble changes and exploring tweaks to get feedback in general. Since I last played the game is so much better from the menu screen and the end of round screen fitting to my screen resolution to the voices and everything in between these improvements are getting me on the DW hype train.

• Holy shit.

Nice.

This just made my day

Edit: Just noticed panic parry was removed but no other form of player control was given instead in that department. Thats bad. We really don’t need even less player control, drop the bomb and readd CFTP, make comp players happy again, profit.

• ^ yes.

do this in live C:MW too :)

• with the short window to feint your combo i think combo feint to parry would be a nice addition but i’m afraid of making the whiff into parry initiative too strong for longer ranged weapons

with all the very powerful ranged play the stalling is going to be even crazier with CFTP

i like combo parry a little more but it needs to be actually tested before we just theorycraft all over the place

the bubble reduction feels great and combat feels pretty good since whiffing is a giant punish in almost every case but with something like combo parry i feel multiple combatants will die faster, which is good to prevent stalling via ranged but also bad because people enjoy being able to fight for a bit in melee

dueling felt pretty good without recovery parry or combo parry, dunno about large scale teamfighting

• I will reserve judgement until I test it but I’m very skeptical about the changes to the bubble. Could you please go into more detail about the parry changes?

• Holy. Shit.

Thank you TB for at least testing it.

I’m worried about how all these changes will play together, so we’ll see!

• Smaller bubble seems ok, don’t really notice much of a difference with it.

Removal of recovery parry is completely debilitating and makes fighting multiple people impossible. You can hit one enemy and another gets a free hit because you can’t defend in time. Revert it immediately.

Also, feint in general doesn’t seem to work at all.

• just played for a few hours, and it is seriously night and day. Thank you TBS!

Bubble reduction is amazing. Combat HEAVILY improved.
    I think the viking weapons should still have a feint window on non dual wield… even if it is small as hell.
    I need to do more testing with/vs the ninjato, but to me it seems like the speed it has for that range is too muchz.
    Ninja smoke egg needs reduced stun. Quite abusive currently.
    Pirate change with the knockback is good.
    Spartan shield bash needs to have the combo on primary weapons slowed to what it is on secondary weapons.

But it is all much better now and I had fun playing.

• It feels like the turnspeed cap needs to be tuned down (very) slightly across the board, now that sidestepping has made a big comeback, along with the increased movement speed.

The bubble reduction is feeling pretty great. There are moments now where I see my opponent was able to properly maneuver past my arm and get around my parry, and I can do the same. Close quarter fighting is far more dynamic now.

@RushSecond:

Removal of recovery parry is completely debilitating and makes fighting multiple people impossible. You can hit one enemy and another gets a free hit because you can’t defend in time. Revert it immediately.

Also this… There needs to be something available, whether it’s panic parry, combofeint to parry, or something else.

• maybe make it so that flinch doesn’t disable parrying but only attacks, but i thought that’s how it was anyhow.

• @clayton-bigsby:

maybe make it so that flinch doesn’t disable parrying but only attacks, but i thought that’s how it was anyhow.

Well flinch doesn’t send you to an active (idle) state, as far as I know, so basically you are capable of being hit more than once during any one recovery time. Including, for instance, two viking zerker combo hits.

• These gameplay changes might work in duels but it falls flat on it’s face for 1vN. I’ll type up more when I’m back on my desktop.

• @Derpasaur:

@clayton-bigsby:

maybe make it so that flinch doesn’t disable parrying but only attacks, but i thought that’s how it was anyhow.

Well flinch doesn’t send you to an active (idle) state, as far as I know, so basically you are capable of being hit more than once during any one recovery time. Including, for instance, two viking zerker combo hits.

You can parry out of flinch.

• I like that whiffing is a real punishment now and whiff baiting with a combo is a decent way to bait someone into aggression mainly in duels.

I seriously missed whiff punishing in this game. It feels satisfying to bait something and not have it result in a parry.

For teamfighting it feels like you have to rely on your teammates a lot more to get that interrupt or 1:1 trade and movement + timing is a lot more important when picking your strikes. Might not be the best thing because with how strong pirate is any sort of stall is better for the pirates, whether by cftparrying until you stam out and then get a tiny stun or just recovery parrying for the same jazz.

I really do like the reliance on teammates and playing smartly with movement to kite around the person your hitting or kiting to your teammates. Feinting to neutral (as in combo feint, not do anything) is also really great and this system might not even need a fix at all, just people need to utilize what the game already has before changing a lot of things.

I played some small skirmishes (2v2, 3v3, 4v4, 5v5) and when there weren’t any pirates on either team it was really fun. I did have some situations where if I had combo/recov parry I would’ve been able to parry but that didn’t stick out in my mind too much.

I think slightly lower time on CTFP lockout (combined with the decently short combo feint window) would be perfect in helping you defend yourself in a teamfight but still keeping whiff punishing alive. Don’t know if riposte is a needed thing because you still have parry advantage to kick (which is REALLY good for buying space in this game) or even go for a feint to parry/trade. I suggest testing .3 or .25- hit someone in a teamfight and then combo feint to neutral to parry the incoming. You might get hit but this prevents distanced attackers from punishing you.

But ideally you wouldn’t even need to defend yourself if you feint -> neutral and have a teammate cover you while you sprint out. In the same vein, you can move around swings and kite around your enemy to get friendly fire. The best defense is probably feint to neutral and sprint to buy time for a parry.

Speaking of stamina, running out of stamina needs a better punishment than just going into a combo that might not even hit. You need to know 100% if your opponent is out of stamina to run forward and combo. If he has teammates you probably won’t even get that combo hit because of how short it is. I’ve also had people block the OOS combo attack because I heard a parry sound and didn’t just mash out an attack or just took too long sprinting towards the person actually hit the combo swing.

If an additional parry is needed I’d most prefer combo to parry. Combo to parry quick attacks, combofeint and sprint to combat later attacks. It promotes slower whiff punishing in anticipation and makes shields stronger.

I definitely do not want recovery parry though.

• @kwazi:

I like that whiffing is a real punishment now and whiff baiting with a combo is a decent way to bait someone into aggression mainly in duels.

I seriously missed whiff punishing in this game. It feels satisfying to bait something and not have it result in a parry.

You could always do this, at any point.

• How so? They used to just go into recovery parry after a whiff and you didn’t get the hit. Any point in what?

• Feint.
    Miss on purpose then into combo.

I know its “harder” then just a simple attack, which is why i hate panic parry, every noob could do perfect CFTPs which you had to feint all the time

dont have this problem with CFTP because it requires you to learn the mechanics and pull off more actions, so on pubs you can actually punish 90% of the players for missing while in competitive games you can SOMETIMES when they miss their parry…