Why do people complain about Vanguard being the easiest

• Hi, career LMB spamming Claymore abusing merryman here. People often complain about Vanguard being the easiest class in the game. But I tried dueling as Knight recently and it was far, far easier than it was as Vanguard. The big health pool lets you screw up many times and damage trades are always in your favor vs non-knights (or knights with smaller swinging devices).

So why do people think Vanguard is easier?

Edited by USER for offensive mood-downer word choice. :]

• @Altimor:

So why do people think Vanguard is easier?

Only rank 10 or less people think that.

• If you don’t like being shot by people with guns in Brazil, Argentina and all those gangland infested areas, I suggest avoiding gangland team mode where every fight is a 3 v 1 with unwinnable stamina odds.

Try duel mode. :)

Vanguards are easily eaten up by a good shield knight.

• @Altimor:

People often complain

Thats why.

Also the combination of high damage, reach, medium speed and durability might favor less experienced players. Archers need to hit stuff and are squishy, Men at Arms suck in group fights and Knights are slow with a fairly limited reach. The glaring weakness to ranged fire usually gets ignored by shunning (or even limiting) Archers instead. If they get shot most people think “stupid Archer shooting me from afar” when they should think “I should get a shield to protect myself” (justified as shields gimp you in melee).

So a possible answer is: They are middle ground and their main counter is not well liked.

• @Evil:

@Altimor:

People often complain

Thats why.

Also the combination of high damage, reach, medium speed and durability might favor less experienced players. Archers need to hit stuff and are squishy, Men at Arms suck in group fights and Knights are slow with a fairly limited reach. The glaring weakness to ranged fire usually gets ignored by shunning (or even limiting) Archers instead. If they get shot most people think “stupid Archer shooting me from afar” when they should think “I should get a shield to protect myself” (justified as shields gimp you in melee).

So a possible answer is: They are middle ground and their main counter is not well liked.

That archer thing is literally the reason I don’t play team modes. Having to gimp myself in melee combat just to make it harder for an archer to hit me (even the tower shield doesn’t fully protect) is absurd.

• do people really still say maa suck at group fights? i LOL in your general direction.

• @clayton-bigsby:

do people really still say maa suck at group fights? i LOL in your general direction.

I’m thinking the reason is not so much the enemy, but how your own team poses a considerable threat to your well-being as a MaA.

• team poses threat to any class if they run in swinging. Even vanguards can typically only take 2 hits, sometimes 1.

Vanguards are typically the easiest class though since they have the longest reaching weapons, their knockback after getting parried gives them a ton of breathing room to always keep their range. Their footspeed is comparable to maa since the chase mechanic takes as much time as a tv dinner cooking to start working or pick up on some speed. Plus they have some of the most powerful (some considered OP) weapons in the game. Non-instant but damn near overhead lookdowns with polearms, super knockback reach and slash speed flinch of brandistock, the unflinchable overheads of the fork, basically the same thing as brandi for spear but less damage. The deceptive animations of the poke on the billhook that show it in one location but hits in another.

And then there’s that very inconsistent powerful charge attack that sometimes goes 5 feet and some times 50 feet, that also drains 50 stamina upon parrying and also give them initiative for the next attack. It also does a crapton of damage upon hitting the strike, also giving initiative for even the next attack. Their weapons also still remain the most draggable weapons that seem the least affected by the release time changes.

They’ve also been given the fastest 2handed weapon with the speeds of a daggar, still doing competent damage which i would say is comparable OR better than the sword of war.

So… i would say these are at least SOME of the reasons why the van is considered the easiest… but who knows.

• Slightly exaggerated but more or less what a vanguard is.

They are a class that’s easy to pick up at first. But once you learn how to play whether or not its the easiest class for you depends on your playstyle.

• @Evil:

Men at Arms suck in group fights

Not at all true.

@trooper:

Vanguards are easily eaten up by a good shield knight.

Naw, the Vanguard has the knock-back going for him and can hit through blocks. Knight has to worry about kicks.

People say vanguard is the easiest class because it is easy to rack up kills. A vanguard can flank a group and combo his long weapon around, killing everyone. All it takes is decent footwork and maybe a few combo feints. I would not say the charge attack is any good in most cases but yes, it can be ridiculous when there’s lag. Each class is hard to master with the archer probably having the highest skill ceiling.

• @clayton-bigsby:

team poses threat to any class if they run in swinging. Even vanguards can typically only take 2 hits, sometimes 1.

Vanguards are typically the easiest class though since they have the longest reaching weapons, their knockback after getting parried gives them a ton of breathing room to always keep their range. Their footspeed is comparable to maa since the chase mechanic takes as much time as a tv dinner cooking to start working or pick up on some speed. Plus they have some of the most powerful (some considered OP) weapons in the game. Non-instant but damn near overhead lookdowns with polearms, super knockback reach and slash speed flinch of brandistock, the unflinchable overheads of the fork, basically the same thing as brandi for spear but less damage. The deceptive animations of the poke on the billhook that show it in one location but hits in another.

And then there’s that very inconsistent powerful charge attack that sometimes goes 5 feet and some times 50 feet, that also drains 50 stamina upon parrying and also give them initiative for the next attack. It also does a crapton of damage upon hitting the strike, also giving initiative for even the next attack. Their weapons also still remain the most draggable weapons that seem the least affected by the release time changes.

They’ve also been given the fastest 2handed weapon with the speeds of a daggar, still doing competent damage which i would say is comparable OR better than the sword of war.

So… i would say these are at least SOME of the reasons why the van is considered the easiest… but who knows.

My exact thoughts on why vanguard is easy to play right now. Anyone denying that is delusional.

• I notice little difference in reach between greatsword/claymore and longsword. Zwei is long but unless they’re pretty good at swing manipulation you have to be asleep not to parry it.

• No, MAA is the easiest :?

• @rumpelstiltskin:

No, MAA is the easiest :?

MaAs can get punished heavily for using their dodge irresponsibly.

• @Altimor:

@rumpelstiltskin:

No, MAA is the easiest :?

MaAs can get punished heavily for using their dodge irresponsibly.

Is there a class who can’t get punished for doing something irresponsibly?

• @Evil:

This is hilarious. We’ll run 4 maa’s in the next 8v8 TO tourney. Maa is so stupid it’s comical.

• @?B:

@Evil Minion:

This is hilarious. We’ll run 4 maa’s in the next 8v8 TO tourney. Maa is so stupid it’s comical.

That’d be hilarious to watch.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

@?B:

@Evil Minion:

That’d be hilarious to watch.

I’ll try to have someone record one of our scrims soon and I’ll send it to ya. I’ll probably upload it on the forums as well.

• The only thing I don’t get about Vanguards is that it seems the higher rank players, like to swing, then swing, then swing while moving in circles.

It doesn’t even seem like they know who is there, they just swing at whoever comes close to them.

Can anyone explain why?

• @Keith:

The only thing I don’t get about Vanguards is that it seems the higher rank players, like to swing, then swing, then swing while moving in circles.

It doesn’t even seem like they know who is there, they just swing at whoever comes close to them.

Can anyone explain why?

they have some of the most draggable weapons and also their strafe and sprint speed is good enough to get them out of the way of other attacks whilst dragging into their opponents. most of the time you can either track them by footstep noise or just kind of mentally knowing where they are, due to their immense draggability however, you don’t have to quite know where they are to drag into them, as long as they are somewhere around you.