Archery Modifications

• I love my Warbow.
    I. Love. It.
    I’ve played it for the last 30 levels (lvl 45 now) and it’s mah bebeh.

Then I see the top 2% of a helmet about 16 miles away. Wtf is that?
    Incoming crossbow bolt, just under the speed of light (possibly just over), right through my sternum.
    Death ensues.

Circle around to get a shot on the sneaky lil feller.
    Line up, fire a flawless arcing shaft o doom.
    During it’s 2 minute flight time (or 200 feet), the xbow looks around, sees incoming arrow and steps lazily to the left.
    Shoulders xbow, strafes around for about 15 minutes (with xbow shouldered continuously) before firing more railgun-esque bolts of decimation in my direction, all the while easily side stepping my molasses-covered arrows (and I imagine, cackling with fiendish delight all the while).

This is a common scenario when dueling crossbowmen. Here is my two cents for balancing archery.
    I don’t think all of these should be applied, but some of them would be nice!

-Decrease crossbow flight speed. It’s insane and does not require you to lead the target.
    -Add crossbow shoulder timer. Like bows, after a certain amount of time being shouldered (or ‘ready’), crossbow is forced to drop back down and have to re-shoulder weapon (or maybe start to wobble instead?).
    -Increase bow flight speed.
    -Introduce ‘Serf Taxation’, which would cause the crossbow to malfunction 10% of the time, instantly killing the crossbowman (since xbows were usually the weapon handed to the untrained/Serfs)
    -Leave Slings the way they are. If you’re ballsy enough to run into a battle with a strip of leather and some pebbles, you deserve to do well.
    -Make Javelin shields about 50% smaller. Or make them out of paper. Or lava. Burning lava.
    -Give bow archers Kick (or Headbutt)***********
    or
    -Reduce weapon swap time for Bow archers.

IMO, bow archery is by far harder than Javs/Xbows/Slings. You have the greatest amount of ballistic drop, you have much more target lead due to slow flight speed, you have no kick, no shield, and weapon swapping takes about 15 minutes if you need to melee.

These are my speculations over the last 400 hours or so of Archery.

Comments/Questions/Additions?

• You gotta work on your dodging skills.

Once a HCB user is noticed by a broadhead warbow user he’s fucked generally.

The crossbow is very good against people who aren’t looking. But in an archer to archer confrontation the guy with the bow usually wins.

It sounds to me like you are trying to snipe people with your warbow. No. You gotta get closer. You gotta be mobile.

Even the HCB requires a lead. Larger than you think too.
    The bow time before it drops down is because your guy gets tired. Its not nearly as tiring as shouldering a xbow.
    Increase bow flight time? That’ll make a lot of people unhappy.
    Xbow was also used by heavily armoured soldiers. They wore chainmail and were well trained in melee also. And how is a crossbow malfunction gonna kill the guy? A bow malfunction would be far more lethal.
    Well someone hates javs lol. Javelinmen are archer hunters. That’s their role.
    A bow kick wouldn’t be a bad idea. Crossbow kick could be abused but you can’t fire a bow after you kick. You can swap weapons. But then again. Swap to your secondary early. Don’t be stupid.

In your 400 hours of archery you still haven’t found the full potential of your warbow.

I’m a hated and despised archer.

• Doesn’t longbow arrows fly faster than warbow ones though? besides you can string that bow faster.

Sidenote: I hate crossbowmen they’re weed and shouldn’t be in my garden of fun.

• @Xylvion:

Doesn’t longbow arrows fly faster than warbow ones though? besides you can string that bow faster.

Sidenote: I hate crossbowmen they’re weed and shouldn’t be in my garden of fun.

Longbow shoots faster but arrow velocity is slower.

• @lemonater47:

You gotta work on your dodging skills.

Once a HCB user is noticed by a broadhead warbow user he’s fucked generally.

The crossbow is very good against people who aren’t looking. But in an archer to archer confrontation the guy with the bow usually wins.

It sounds to me like you are trying to snipe people with your warbow. No. You gotta get closer. You gotta be mobile.

Even the HCB requires a lead. Larger than you think too.
    The bow time before it drops down is because your guy gets tired. Its not nearly as tiring as shouldering a xbow.
    Increase bow flight time? That’ll make a lot of people unhappy.
    Xbow was also used by heavily armoured soldiers. They wore chainmail and were well trained in melee also. And how is a crossbow malfunction gonna kill the guy? A bow malfunction would be far more lethal.
    Well someone hates javs lol. Javelinmen are archer hunters. That’s their role.
    A bow kick wouldn’t be a bad idea. Crossbow kick could be abused but you can’t fire a bow after you kick. You can swap weapons. But then again. Swap to your secondary early. Don’t be stupid.

In your 400 hours of archery you still haven’t found the full potential of your warbow.

The point of the flight speed is it makes dodging very difficult. I can dodge arrows from any bow no problem, but xbow is crazy fast to the point that when I see them fire it, it lodges itself in me (assuming they aimed correctly) with a very small window of dodge time.

You can indeed snipe with a warbow… as well as be a mobile combat archer.

HCB requires little to no lead comparatively, I’ve played it and seen people play it plenty.

A crossbow malfunction would be insanely damaging to someone using it; a small contraption of metal and wood exploding in your face under high pressure vs losing some fingers to a taunt piece of wood.

I understand the jav role, doesn’t mean I have to like it ^_^

Xbow kick would be silly as hell, kickstun + instant point blank bolt to the urethra.
    Bow kick is a necessity. Swap to secondary early? When a MAA or Van is creeping up behind and you notice as you get hit? Turn and kick would at least make it a honest fight, giving time to pop out your weapon instead of instant death. Don’t be silly.

I’d agree that I haven’t found the full potential, as I try to learn new tricks/moves/abilities every day.
    However, if you feel you need to test that out, come join wK | Official Clan TO Seattle and catch a few goose feathers. 8-)

• Warbow is widely overused at the comp level. None of these changes make any sense balance wise.

• @lemonater47:

Usually by your own team hahaha ;)

“HELPING” - Lemonater47

• @lemonater47:

Longbow shoots faster but arrow velocity is slower.

Actually, warbow and shortbow got a 6k projectile speed and longbow got a 6.5k one according to this!

• xbow needs a lot of time to reload,that alone is enough to make it balanced,try to first make him miss the shot while moving around,then shoot him when he reloads,if he gets in cover and you can’t shoot him or he turns around using the shield as cover,just run towards him and get closer as you can,when you are too close he realize it’s useless to reload and charges at you,thats when you want to shoot him.This is a tactic(very dangerous but the most viable for me) that i use if i must kill that xbow user,but hitting a distant target that moves from right to left and doesn’t move forward is one of the most diffucult shots,so take advantage of his weak points and remember that by distracting him one of your ally can get the kill for you by flanking him

• You can also sidestep with a bow drawn, which you can’t with a crossbow shouldered and your reload time is almost half of his. I think this is why most competitive archer duelists always use the warbow and not xbows. The ability to dodge arrows while aiminga nd have the capability to one shot archers to the body like xbows and still being able to dish out tons of dps to the enemy team’s melee seems pretty advantageous when all you can do with a crossbow is snipe people that are unaware; however, I don’t know much about competitive archery.

• Well crossbows are more viable in pubs I believe, just sit in a corner of the map and show your face every 3 seconds. The bows are more offensive than the crossbows (light one’s quite good in close quarters and fast to reload) and as scrims usually include teams of 5 people close quarter combat is a must even for the archers, making bows more viable than crossbows.

• @LTTLWLF:

@lemonater47:

Usually by your own team hahaha ;)

“HELPING” - Lemonater47

Yep

Hated by everyone. Enemies and friendlies alike. When I fire into a group and fail to predict knockback or an MAA dodge.