I need some opinions on the Halberd.

• When I play Van, my friends often make fun of me for using the Halberd. They claim that it is overpowered, and I just want to know if you guys agree with them. If you think the Halberd is overpowered, can you explain why?

Edit - It would appear that I used the wrong wording here…

“When I play Van, my friends often make fun of me for using”
    This thread got a little derailed because of this, so I just want to ensure people that by ‘make fun’ I meant joke about. I ‘make fun’ of my friends for lots of stuff they do as well, but it’s not really ever meant to be offensive. I guess we are a weird group. :?

• Halberd like any weapon has its good uses and bad uses and is also subject to quickswing/dragging. I’d personally use it for open areas where it will most likely not run into any obstacles since it has a mighty reach… and also because there are more ways out…

Making fun of a player for their load-out is pretty childish also.
    Your friend should grow up :/

• It’s not quite overpowered but it’s very backwards from what its appearance and description imply, it’s much harder to fight at close range

• Halberd was OP a very long time ago. It was nerfed since then and is a balanced weapon. Only noobs would complain.

• @gregcau:

Halberd was OP a very long time ago. It was nerfed since then and is a balanced weapon. Only noobs would complain.

Pretty much this.

• Halberd isn’t seen that often in duel mode because generally, vanguard has better alternatives.

Lookdown overhead halberd dragged into the kite shield unblockable bugged zone is still extremely potent however. On the plus side, I very rarely see this done effectively.

Making fun of a player for their load-out is pretty childish also.
    Your friend should grow up :/

Your attempted propaganda has not gone un-noticed. If I notice that someone is gimmicky with a weapon, I will require very little provocation to tell them that, if they start calling themselves a good player. That frenchie who plays on FFA duel with the bearded axe is one key example of a gimmicky player. He should be ridiculed until the cows come home because he is abusing a broken weapon. Also try to have an opinion about the halberd that isn’t regurgitated by TBS themselves.

Thanks.

PS. I voted balanced. It’s rare to see the playstyle I mentioned after my initial comment.

• Quite humbly so my own opinion there.
    I don’t ridicule players because I don’t view myself as their better- because of their choice load out or otherwise. Always been this way, way before me being a moderator here.

If you do so then you should grow up. No reason to make fun of people because they enjoy a certain style of play / load-out - even if I think it’s boring/lame/broken/cheating. You can browse my previous posts and you’d find that this view didn’t change. I believe that if it’s in the game and as long as it is in the game its legit.

More-so if its your friend who is putting you to ridicule because they don’t agree with your choice of play style. Makes them come off as a douche-bag in my opinion and I would personally not be friends with someone who is trying to drive their opinions into my conscious by humiliating me. So if anyone would be spreading propaganda there I think it would be people who share your mindset about this topic.

• @User:

Quite humbly so my own opinion there.
    I don’t ridicule players because I don’t view myself as their better- because of their choice load out or otherwise. Always been this way, way before me being a moderator here.

If you do so then you should grow up. No reason to make fun of people because they enjoy a certain style of play / load-out - even if I think it’s boring/lame/broken/cheating. You can browse my previous posts and you’d find that this view didn’t change. I believe that if it’s in the game and as long as it is in the game its legit.

More-so if its your friend who is putting you to ridicule because they don’t agree with your choice of play style. Makes them come off as a douche-bag in my opinion and I would personally not be friends with someone who is trying to drive their opinions into my conscious by humiliating me. So if anyone would be spreading propaganda there I think it would be people who share your mindset about this topic.

“I don’t ridicule players because I don’t view myself as their better”

I don’t ridicule players because I view myself as their better, I ridicule other players because I particularly enjoy demoralising my opponents before I beat them. I have established a firm winning mentality and I particularly enjoy watching them wallowing in the suffering of defeat.

8500 out of 10000 duels won (with 1000 of those losses being as a heavy crossbowman earlier in my career) shows I know my class and I know what I fight against and I generally know what style of play I will be fighting against as I have interacted with the old duel and new duel community pretty thoroughly.

Should I grow up? Possibly. Maybe. Probably. Will I? No. Not when I particularly enjoy making people suffer at the hand of my weapon and then crushing their will to live by reminding them of it.

So when I come up against a weapon that I know is broken (such as the bearded axe when in the right/wrong hands), I feel it is necessary to make my feelings known. I derive my fun from winning so I will naturally retaliate via verbal means when it is robbed from me via unfair mechanics.

Welcome to chivalry, where your opponent wants to cut off your head. There are no niceties.

• OP mentioned that their friends were ridiculing them about their load out which is what I was relating to. I am not sure if you were thinking I am referring to your play-style or preferences in game. I honestly don’t care how you choose to play your game, or what your views on the games are. I was just stating that my opinion about people who humiliate their friends because they disagree with their choice of load-out is that their friends are immature, and that my opinion is that generally as long as its in the game its legit. - Truly whether or not a weapon is or is not broken is down to personal interpretation- of course until its otherwise removed and/or fixed in any way -which is why I firmly state it is my opinion. (rather than claiming my opinions as a fact)

Though as far goes for opinions of you trooper, I think that being this negative publicly generally takes away from your own eventual enjoyment of the game in the weird and (to my opinion again) ephemeral manner you seem to prefer playing it. I think that even a player who for some bizarre reason chooses to push everyone away from them by humiliating them could see my point here.

Anyhow, to OP. Play whatever you like, and in any way you like. This is a game where the point is to have fun. Don’t take your friend seriously if they go to such length to humiliate and ridicule you. If anyone has a problem with the way you play they can just not play with you. There will still be other people to play with and many games to play with them.

• @User:

OP mentioned that their friends were ridiculing them about their load out which is what I was relating to. I am not sure if you were thinking I am referring to your play-style or preferences in game. I honestly don’t care how you choose to play your game, or what your views on the games are. I was just stating that my opinion about people who humiliate their friends because they disagree with their choice of load-out is that their friends are immature, and that my opinion is that generally as long as its in the game its legit. - Truly whether or not a weapon is or is not broken is down to personal interpretation- of course until its otherwise removed and/or fixed in any way -which is why I firmly state it is my opinion. (rather than claiming my opinions as a fact)

Though as far goes for opinions of you trooper, I think that being this negative publicly generally takes away from your own eventual enjoyment of the game in the weird and (to my opinion again) ephemeral manner you seem to prefer playing it. I think that even a player who for some bizarre reason chooses to push everyone away from them by humiliating them could see my point here.

Anyhow, to OP. Play whatever you like, and in any way you like. This is a game where the point is to have fun. Don’t take your friend seriously if they go to such length to humiliate and ridicule you. If anyone has a problem with the way you play they can just not play with you. There will still be other people to play with and many games to play with them.

Touché.

Ephemeral means “transitory - transient - momentary - short-lived” btw… I’ve been playing since 2012 so hardly short lived but I respect your opinion anyway. You responded with gusto to my argument and that is great for me to see. :D

• I believe that the stab is a bit to strong, it’s the same for all polearms though. Other than that polearms still hit to early, you get used to this after fighting against them though. Imo the halberd is like a spear that you can swing and deal a shitload of damage with. I myself hate polearms and I find them hard to read, especially combostabs. But people seem to be rather fine with them, just takes some getting used to I guess.

• @User:

OP mentioned that their friends were ridiculing them about their load out which is what I was relating to. I am not sure if you were thinking I am referring to your play-style or preferences in game. I honestly don’t care how you choose to play your game, or what your views on the games are. I was just stating that my opinion about people who humiliate their friends because they disagree with their choice of load-out is that their friends are immature, and that my opinion is that generally as long as its in the game its legit. - Truly whether or not a weapon is or is not broken is down to personal interpretation- of course until its otherwise removed and/or fixed in any way -which is why I firmly state it is my opinion. (rather than claiming my opinions as a fact)

I shouldn’t of said “made fun of”. My friends and I like to get into debates about games like chiv, and commonly they would claim the Halberd was OP, not in a offensive way, but just pointing it out and giving their reasons why.

Anyway, thanks for answering the poll, I think I have enough evidence to prove them wrong =P