Use of the brandi this month (OCT)

• Sorry brandi users but I’m gonna have to call it OP. It has anything you could possibly want in a weapon: damage and reach in the thrust, hyperspeed in the slash, an all purpose stab and draggability. You just can never go wrong with it.

• @Jstorm:

Sorry brandi users but I’m gonna have to call it OP. It has anything you could possibly want in a weapon: damage and reach in the thrust, hyperspeed in the slash, an all purpose stab and draggability. You just can never go wrong with it.

I can! Believe me… I can! :D

• Its not hard to block the slash.

Start to react in the windup. Don’t just stand there.

• @lemonater47:

Its not hard to block the slash.

Most good brandistock users will feint if you block early…most of them feint even if you don’t block…then when you go to attack out snaps that super fast lmb that flinches you.

• @lemonater47:

The normal slash, yes.
    But I still got the impression that the riposte slash is faster than your parry. It hits you before you are able to parry. You’re still recovering from your strike that has been parried.
    But I could also be wrong. Maybe I’m just confused by the animation.
    I find the riposte animations of polearm-slashes and onehanded stabs pretty confusing. But That’s my problem, not a game problem, I guess.

• @Sir_Henric:

@lemonater47:

Most good brandistock users will feint if you block early…most of them feint even if you don’t block…then when you go to attack out snaps that super fast lmb that flinches you.

And the whole time you have to stay in range. But thats all part of the fun right ;)

Personally i’d rate these fights as more fun to fight against then leet feinting SoW/claymore.

@Peter:

The normal slash, yes.
    But I still got the impression that the riposte slash is faster than your parry. It hits you before you are able to parry. You’re still recovering from your strike that has been parried.

At times it looks like brandi slashes breach parry when the release starts past or within the target’s model. But then it doesn’t happen often; typically when the brandi player is flanking and dragging the windup/release moment into the target’s model.

• Been tons of brandi users on the singapore servers ever since the balance patch.

• @dudeface:

Been tons of brandi users on the singapore servers ever since the balance patch.

I see it on 90% of vanguards in America and 90% of players are vanguard anyways. Idk what NoVa is yappin about. It’s the SoW and LS all over again.

• Someone mentioned the slash, and the LMB riposte for the brandistock animates extremely poorly. You can definitely block it, but the animation is quite terrible. Brandi definitely needs to be toned down.

While we are at it, the greatsword also needs some slight changes, it is a bit too strong in every area.

• @SHH_:

Brandi definitely needs to be toned down.

While we are at it, the greatsword also needs some slight changes, it is a bit too strong in every area.

I love you now. Finally, someone with a good eye for balance.

• @Jstorm:

@SHH_:

Brandi definitely needs to be toned down.

I love you now. Finally, someone with a good eye for balance.

Awww, thanks <3

I suspect we have the same issue with the greatsword and it’s the fact that the weapon has no inherent weaknesses: its effectiveness is determined by the player. While this may sound like a good idea in theory, in practice, I personally don’t feel it is a good way to balance a weapon.

• @SHH_:

I suspect we have the same issue with the greatsword and it’s the fact that the weapon has no inherent weaknesses: its effectiveness is determined by the player. While this may sound like a good idea in theory, in practice, I personally don’t feel it is a good way to balance a weapon.

Agree somewhat about the greatsword. In any hands it’s a powerful weapon, in an expert’s hands it’s massively destructive. It can be delayed loads, but the lookdown overhead is wicked fast, and good range too (for a lookdown). It’s strength really becomes apparent against good feinters (I’m looking at you, DOMUS :P ); The lookdown hits so quickly and at such range, you have to block immediately, and have no time to distinguish between a feint and a strike. I know this is a facet of a lot of weapons(famously the polearms), but the fact that the greatsword is so balanced and powerful in every other respect as well, makes it seem particularly inbalanced to me. Look downs are OP full stop, imho. The use of them dominates high level duels with 2-handers, and they’re pretty much the best answer to any situation in a fight.

• brandi is a few millisecs off from being balanced. I love its weight just not its speed.

• The thing is there are other things in the game that are this strong, but we accept them, and to be honest the brandi has always been good, its just that now everyone is having a serious go with it we all realise how good it is.

I think a couple of things do need a little balancing, but only the smallest tweaks IMO.

Brandi doesn’t need such a fast slash (nor should it have such a fast slash) and also shouldn’t have quite such a fast riposte.

When i first started playing the game i spent maybe 100hrs on the brandi, and then i dropped it for 200-300 hours….now i’ve gone back to it and become proficient with it again and it is strong. Its fun to mess people up, so few people can block the swing-riposte and when they do its only because they’re predicting that its coming.

I just think a few little things need to be tweaked so that all the different loadouts can be enjoyed rather than just a few.

i think this is directly relevant:
    @giantyak:

MAA dodging through stab windups is stupid and needs to be fixed. Its silly how they can impale them selves on a spear or sword held in the stab position and start an attack and score a hit and still flinch their targets windup. I don’t really have any problem with MAA dodging forward to the side of someone and scoring a hit, but when they dodge through a weapon held in the stab position (even though its in windup) it is stupid.

The problem is not actually the speed of the weapons and the fact that MAA can dodge so well, it is more that they can dodge through weapons in their windup phase.
    This IS inconsistent in the C:MW world where if you’re unlucky enough to be standing behind someone windup up a 2h weapon for an overhead you get damage (from the start of the release).

You could keep the game pretty much as it is if you added a special tracer to weapon windups to:
    -prevent players running themselves through stabs and attacks (if a spear held in the stab position can impale a horse i’m affraid it will harm an MAA as he dodges into it….)
    -balance the game in terms of keeping fast weapons and slow weapons together eg an MAA can make use of his lightningbolt broadsword if he’s careful not to leap on to the end of a spear and other weapons which are not lightning fast can still have some measure of effect.
    Just make the weapon windup tracer cause no damage and flinch and the problem is solved

If you were to slow some weapons down they’d still be viable in the quoted situation. The benefit would be that you wouldn’t end up with situations like we have now where the brandi riposte is a little bit too fast but could still be balanced against MAA dodge for example OR other faster weapons.

We don’t really need lightning fast attacks like broadsword/norse/HWS stab or brandi slash or riposte stab. They can still be fast, but they don’t have to be so fast, that when you kill people they rage quit - “such and such has abbandonded the game”.

• @giantyak:

The thing is there are other things in the game that are this strong, but we accept them, and to be honest the brandi has always been good, its just that now everyone is having a serious go with it we all realise how good it is.

I think a couple of things do need a little balancing, but only the smallest tweaks IMO.

Brandi doesn’t need such a fast slash (nor should it have such a fast slash) and also shouldn’t have quite such a fast riposte.

When i first started playing the game i spent maybe 100hrs on the brandi, and then i dropped it for 200-300 hours….now i’ve gone back to it and become proficient with it again and it is strong. Its fun to mess people up, so few people can block the swing-riposte and when they do its only because they’re predicting that its coming.

I just think a few little things need to be tweaked so that all the different loadouts can be enjoyed rather than just a few.

i think this is directly relevant:
    @giantyak:

MAA dodging through stab windups is stupid and needs to be fixed. Its silly how they can impale them selves on a spear or sword held in the stab position and start an attack and score a hit and still flinch their targets windup. I don’t really have any problem with MAA dodging forward to the side of someone and scoring a hit, but when they dodge through a weapon held in the stab position (even though its in windup) it is stupid.

The problem is not actually the speed of the weapons and the fact that MAA can dodge so well, it is more that they can dodge through weapons in their windup phase.
    This IS inconsistent in the C:MW world where if you’re unlucky enough to be standing behind someone windup up a 2h weapon for an overhead you get damage (from the start of the release).

You could keep the game pretty much as it is if you added a special tracer to weapon windups to:
    -prevent players running themselves through stabs and attacks (if a spear held in the stab position can impale a horse i’m affraid it will harm an MAA as he dodges into it….)
    -balance the game in terms of keeping fast weapons and slow weapons together eg an MAA can make use of his lightningbolt broadsword if he’s careful not to leap on to the end of a spear and other weapons which are not lightning fast can still have some measure of effect.
    Just make the weapon windup tracer cause no damage and flinch and the problem is solved

If you were to slow some weapons down they’d still be viable in the quoted situation. The benefit would be that you wouldn’t end up with situations like we have now where the brandi riposte is a little bit too fast but could still be balanced against MAA dodge for example OR other faster weapons.

We don’t really need lightning fast attacks like broadsword/norse/HWS stab or brandi slash or riposte stab. They can still be fast, but they don’t have to be so fast, that when you kill people they rage quit - “such and such has abbandonded the game”.

Another note about the ripostes, for some weapons (i.e. HWS, shortsword), you literally have to pre-emptively parry to successfully block some of the faster counters. If you guess wrong, you take a hit. If you guess right, you don’t.