Skofnung! Where is the Vikings Big Sword at?

• We all know that some of the classes in Chivalry Deadliest warrior are going to need expansion at some point. Granted, this is incredibly early in the games life cycle, and should obviously be put aside for game balance and refinement, but its still something to consider. The knight probably has enough weapons, as does the samurai. They have sufficient options when it comes to weapon combinations and it makes them some of the strongest classes, but when it comes to classes like the Spartan or Viking, you options are limited. One thing that could bolster the armory of our favorite nordic class specifically would be Skofnung.

Skofnung was a legendary sword wielded by a nordic king. It was big, heavy, and broad bladed, making it more of a hacking weapon than anything else, although it did have a tip on it so stabs could be incredibly effective at getting rid of armor.

If this weapon were to be added to the Vikings arsenal, I think it would be a boon to his versatility, giving him a big, slow sword that does less damage than the Hammer or Skeggax, but has slightly longer range and a decent stab.

Skofnung Replica
    http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af72 … ff/148.jpg

Just a suggestion.

• Yeah I really missed a two-handed sword for viking.

• They should have a 2 handed axe also - per king whats his name i can’t remember….and wouldn’t have been able to pronounce/spell even if i did.

• Vikings did not use 2 handed swords, no matter what movies / legends say. Most viking swords were up to 90 cm long, and double edged. There was a particular type of sword, called a seax, which was one edged and more messer-like - but also one handed.

They also didn’t use double edged axes. Hell, nobody used double edged axes - because the second edge is pointless. Seeing how an axe works in battle, one edge is enough - the second is just added weight. Later, a hammer-like part was added (like most of the poleaxes have), or sometimes a pick - but not in the viking arsenal.

• @giantyak:

They should have a 2 handed axe also - per king whats his name i can’t remember….and wouldn’t have been able to pronounce/spell even if i did.

They do have a 2-handed axe. It’s called a Skeggox.

• you’re basically saying you want a Zweihander aren’t you??…

No fuck no… that weapons deserves to be forgotten, it is to this day THEE most powerful weapon in Chivalry MW… it has insane damage, slow speed (lol just abuse movement a bit and BAM its instant overheading) and a near-instant stab that reaches longer than any spear you can find…

i would give this post a thumbs down if that was a possibility… Keep the Zweitards in MW… keep them OUT of DW…

• They really need a two handed sword because the class is rather weak atm, too onesided

• @Dad:

Vikings did not use 2 handed swords, no matter what movies / legends say. Most viking swords were up to 90 cm long, and double edged. There was a particular type of sword, called a seax, which was one edged and more messer-like - but also one handed.

They also didn’t use double edged axes. Hell, nobody used double edged axes - because the second edge is pointless. Seeing how an axe works in battle, one edge is enough - the second is just added weight. Later, a hammer-like part was added (like most of the poleaxes have), or sometimes a pick - but not in the viking arsenal.

+1

• Who cares. A Viking two handed sword was there. They Had one it doesn’t matter if they didn’t use it.

And they Don’t have a double axe in the game what are you on about. They have a full sized Dane axe which they did use.

They need weapons. The spartan has a falcata. No Greek uses a falcata. Its an Iberian sword. From Spain. Invented in parallel with the kopis. It didn’t come from the kopis nor the other way around. Just invented near the same time. Carthaginian hoplites used it but they had territory in southern Spain and Iberian mercenaries made up much of their forces. No one cares about that. Because it looks similar and the class needed weapons.

• @lemonater47:

Who cares.

I do. Else they could add anything from tonfas to lightsabers. I want them to keep some resemblance of historical accuracy.

@lemonater47:

They need weapons. The spartan has a falcata. No Greek uses a falcata.

I didn’t say i agree with the falcata. I don’t. But for vikings they should add a seax. It was heavier than the straight viking sword (some seaxes were quite cleaver-like in appearance), and could fill the “slower and more damaging” sword role without being a non-historical bullshit weapon.

• @Dad:

I didn’t say i agree with the falcata. I don’t. But for vikings they should add a seax. It was heavier than the straight viking sword (some seaxes were quite cleaver-like in appearance), and could fill the “slower and more damaging” sword role without being a non-historical bullshit weapon.

Yeah, the falcata is a weird one, but it’s needed since the spartan had too few weapons. And it looks close enough to a kopis to fit in.

Letting the viking have a big seax would be cool, too. He has a small one in his belt, though. But I’m thinking a big seax like this would be pretty cool:

There’s also the weapon called atgeir, which is described as a kind of halberd spear thingie, but no real one has ever been found in a grave or such. It’s believed it looked somewhat like this, though:

Are these good ideas? Surely they make much more sense than a big two-handed sword that only one person is known to have used?

By the way, is it just me who find it funny that the Skeggöx in C:DW is a two-handed axe and the Dane axe is a one-handed axe?

• @SavageBeatings:

By the way, is it just me who find it funny that the Skeggöx in C:DW is a two-handed axe and the Dane axe is a one-handed axe?

Yeah I’ve pointed that out back since chivalry’s beta that the dane axe is a two handed weapon.
    TBS doesn’t really strive for historical accuracy at all and I’ve learned to accept that.

• @SavageBeatings:

This has got to be like one of the first things I noticed when I first looked at the Viking class. But then again I don’t really think Deadliest Warrior was really that historically accurate anyway. Never heard about vikings throwing 2 javelins at the same time anywhere else, cause it’s a dumb idea.

• @Alyx:

@SavageBeatings:

Yeah I’ve pointed that out back since chivalry’s beta that the dane axe is a two handed weapon.
    TBS doesn’t really strive for historical accuracy at all and I’ve learned to accept that.

Agreed. They don’t.

• @El:

@SavageBeatings:

This has got to be like one of the first things I noticed when I first looked at the Viking class. But then again I don’t really think Deadliest Warrior was really that historically accurate anyway. Never heard about vikings throwing 2 javelins at the same time anywhere else, cause it’s a dumb idea.

Viking can’t use javelins… and especially not 2 at once… ffs… HOW STUPID CAN YOU BE!!?

• Something I realised last night, one weapon the Viking does need is a proper throwing javelin. He should be able to carry at least two of them.

• @Jaggsaw:

Viking can’t use javelins… and especially not 2 at once… ffs… HOW STUPID CAN YOU BE!!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkJPICRkWHE

• @Kreittis:

@Jaggsaw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkJPICRkWHE

That Viking is obviously stupid.

• Double post. (What happened to the delete post option?)

• How about more powerful fists as a viking weapon choice? Obviously it is historically accurate as they crushed skulls with their bare fists. :P