Dark Souls, Firelink Shrine. (IN PROGRESS)

• Here a third person to show the scale, since dark souls is a little different camera wise from chiv.

##TEXTURES ARE NOT FINAL, CAUSE I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO TEXTURE YET, AND ALL THESE CUSTOM MODELS ARE GOING TO TAKE FOREVER.##

Anyway, I know it doesn’t look like much, but its had many iterations and over 200 hours of work lmao. I did go from zero knowledge to quite a bit though.

Aside from the basic, map, I will not be modding it much, besides changing the team player colours to glowing red and gold, like the Darkwraiths and Sunbro’s.

Map will be 4 on 4 LTS. I have been slowly making changes to the map to allow for continuous flow, and ways to escape/ ambush etc.

If you have any questions, criticisms or think you can help me, please post and tell me so I can make it the best possible.

• Nice initiative to make custom models !

As it come to my head , here are the few coments i could say to continue improving the level :

• The last screenshot looks like it has been taken into the unlit mode with no lighting , so it’s hard to judge but it could be less flat. If it’s not the case , use one main dominant directional light with just a little of orange color and use a blue teint skylight with nearly no intensity to give the color to shadowed area. ( also check if the main light is casting shadows )

• The skybox may be a bit too low in height, it gives the feeling you are on a flying island.

• Hard to see through screenshots but the scale looks like small compared to the character

• If you can tweak it , i think the grass meshes could be less saturated to match with the rest of the environment

anyway, good job for the hard work and the actual result ! i will be happy to see further modifications :D

• oh ya thanks bro lol, I actually intend on doing everything from scratch, aside from whatever lighting/particle effects, so pretty much everything is place holder right now aside from the models themselves.

As for the skybox, yeah I know lol, I disliked the flowing fields it had, So I moved it down. Scale is good haha. Its hard to tell, but most models actually dwarf my character.

As for the lighting, thats a good suggestion, as it actually is just a flat skylight right now. Im leaving lighting until last, although Ive heard thats not smart, but the actual firelink shrine in DS, is overflowing with god rays and bloom and all thats jazz, and it will take forever lmao.

Thanks for the tips, if you or anyone ITT is familiar with blender to engine modelling and texturing, I would love some help, as I have had a few issues.

• Very nice work, does the map go down to the elevator under the shrine or it just the top part?

• @FPSOtsal:

Very nice work, does the map go down to the elevator under the shrine or it just the top part?

No it will not haha, infact I cant even remember it ever going under the shrine. Will have to check that out.

The elevator will be stopping about halfway up, to where you jump off to access undead asylum. It is made like that to encourage players to attack from different areas and heights, etc, as I really want this to flow nicely, not get stuck on twigs, etc.

• Very nice idea! Could certainly make a fun and beautiful map. :)
    Though, I think you should increase the map scale. Looks quite small in the screenshot. (Or maybe it was just the high FoV messing with me?)

@SunBrethren:

@FPSOtsal:

Very nice work, does the map go down to the elevator under the shrine or it just the top part?

No it will not haha, infact I cant even remember it ever going under the shrine. Will have to check that out.

The elevator will be stopping about halfway up, to where you jump off to access undead asylum. It is made like that to encourage players to attack from different areas and heights, etc, as I really want this to flow nicely, not get stuck on twigs, etc.

Actually, I think he asked if you will be able to take the stairs past the BonFire down to the elevator that leads to the ghost area.

• @B4RK:

Very nice idea! Could certainly make a fun and beautiful map. :)
    Though, I think you should increase the map scale. Looks quite small in the screenshot. (Or maybe it was just the high FoV messing with me?)

@SunBrethren:

@FPSOtsal:

Actually, I think he asked if you will be able to take the stairs past the BonFire down to the elevator that leads to the ghost area.

Ah yes, it is a high fov and a small map. However it will be true to the size of the real Firelink Shrine. I’m aiming for 4v4 LTS based combat with no shenanigans possible…running away forever, etc. Overall, I’m trying to encourage tactical, flowing combat with no dead ends, etc.

As for the the stairs down to New Londo Ruins, I will not be putting them in. However, in the long run, if this map is successful, I may do some popular pvp areas like darkroot and anor londo bridge.

• Hey all, spent 10 hours or so today, on redoing the main tower and messing with bsp and lighting (as suggested by the good folks in here). Tower is almost done now, which will probably the hardest mesh to do with my skills, so I estimate I will be done the meshes in a week or so.

Here are some screens. If the colours look way to intense, its because I really had to crank them up to see them on my monitor. Got a new monitor on the way, so dont fret, the lighting/colours are not final.

PS-if anyone is familiar with blender to udk, please, for Gods sake, help me. Materials are not applying to my meshes and I am at a lost to why it is happening. (hence why all meshes have the same texture)

WORK IN PROGRESS

• Looking good so far! I think FFA in the Shrine would be especially fun.
    Have you done everything by yourself?

• @B4RK:

Looking good so far! I think FFA in the Shrine would be especially fun.
    Have you done everything by yourself?

work wise? yes. model wise, mostly, although I plan to use some basic meshes form the sdk and some off models/textures of deviant art.

mirin dat copyright view?

• I am really looking forward to this map. Think it’ll be a great addition to Chivalry when the workshop is released :D

• This is looking awesome! :)

So I don’t know how anything looks like in Dark Souls, I’ve never played it, just heard about it. But this makes me think of celts, for some reason. You know, like roman ruins in wales somewhere. A gathering place for druids. Oh man, now I want celtic reskins of the Chivalry classes…

• @SavageBeatings:

This is looking awesome! :)

So I don’t know how anything looks like in Dark Souls, I’ve never played it, just heard about it. But this makes me think of celts, for some reason. You know, like roman ruins in wales somewhere. A gathering place for druids. Oh man, now I want celtic reskins of the Chivalry classes…

haha, well I’m not sure about dark souls architectural influences, although they are Japanese devs…

anyway, 6k tris later, the main tower is done :D I also made an amazing discovery, called “smoothing” and “smooth shading” which has made making these look ruined quite a bit easier. Unfortunately, I still cannot apply textures to the models, so you guys are stuck with these ones now. At a later stage, I may try to do the UV’s, but I still have alot of modelling work to do.

I’m really starting to think, it looks a little like the real thing now ahah

*WORK IN PROGRESS

• Any way that you could include the firelink shrine music to play in-game? I really do like Firelinks theme.

• @Gauntlet:

Any way that you could include the firelink shrine music to play in-game? I really do like Firelinks theme.

honestly, I have no idea, it did cross my mind to do that though. I think Goomba has custom music in his, so Ill have to ask him at a later stage. (I think its goomba at least)

• figuring out textures somewhat. also did the massive tree

• This looks awesome!

• Got most of the UVs done know, at least for the models I have done so far. The textures looking a little dark, I know. I’ll have to mess with it later, but the harder part is done, which were the UVs.

• Oh man, this map’s gonna be good!
    (Maybe the grass patches should be a bit darker, but that’s all the critique I have!)

• Hey all, Just did a few things today, the church type thing and alot of UV’s. Im dead tired right now, as it is 4 am, but I had to get todays pics in.

forgot to rotate the UV there, too lazy to reupload now haha. ignore it.

added some foliage to pretty it up.

Anway, I’m starting to see some vague relevence to the real deal, so thats good ahah. And with chivalry getting closer to being able to use these maps, I’m quite excited. Thats all, off to bed.

Praise the Sun!