Vikings Special Ability

• Is it just me or does the Vikings special ability feel really lack luster?

For me, playing Chivalry against equal or greater skilled players than myself has always been about trading blows (and trying to glitch through each others blocks). If you get more than one hit in a row then usually it pretty much means the other guy has just spazzed out and given up.

The Vikings special ability doesn’t really feel like it’s actually doing anything up to 3 or 4 swings, before you start swinging really fast. The problem is if I try and build up my attack speed before going into a fight, all I’m doing is wasting stamina and presenting my opponent many opportunities to attack me between swings. As soon as I get up to them, if it’s a player worth any salt at all they’ll just block me and the attack speed bonus is gone and I have no stamina.
    The speed bonus never really comes into affect when fighting normally. People will just block if I try to hit them constantly, and if I try to fake out by missing on purpose I’ll just be wasting stamina and letting them counter attack, which would stop my combo.

So srsly am I doing it wrong or is the Viking special ability going to get reworked eventually? Or is it really just to be some kind of easy mode for dealing with people that don’t know how to block and nothing else?

• Hopefully its gonna get reworked, or “buffed”… there is no way the current state of the viking can make it into the final game as a “class”…

Knights vs. Vikings - need i say more?

• @El:

So srsly am I doing it wrong

Yes
    very much so

How to Viking:
    1. Press middle mouse button with any weapon but the sword
    2. ???
    3. Have the most fun out of all the classes

Viking special is by far the best and most badass

• Yeah Vikings’ special ability is practically useless as of right now, which is a shame I was looking forward to playing that class out of all of them.
    I don’t like the OP’s suggestion but I do think it needs to be reworked.

• You guys know Viking’s special is to throw his two handed fucking hammer right?
    and if that doesn’t kill the enemy then you go up and punch them in the face because you’ve already thrown all of your other weapons

if that doesn’t get you off then Viking just ain’t for you
    go play some Pirate or something

• @BB:

You guys know Viking’s special is to throw his two handed fucking hammer right?
    and if that doesn’t kill the enemy then you go up and punch them in the face because you’ve already thrown all of your other weapons

if that doesn’t get you off then Viking just ain’t for you
    go play some Pirate or something

He also has a berserk mode meaning his combos get faster and faster.

50 player FFA he’s a roflcopter of doom.

• Manliest class right now
    it’s understandable not everyone can deal with using it

• @BB:

@El:

So srsly am I doing it wrong

Yes
    very much so

How to Viking:
    1. Press middle mouse button with any weapon but the sword
    2. ???
    3. Have the most fun out of all the classes

Viking special is by far the best and most badass

But any class can get punchy, I’m talking about his attack speed bonus.

• vikings are fine the only thing holding them back are flinch in release ( on their long release 2h) and the fact the cant feint at the moment, and also the fact stabs are canceling the bezerking. If u really wanna see how fast they can stack the attack speed buff go dual wield norse sword and combo overheads.

• @dotamachine:

vikings are fine the only thing holding them back are flinch in release ( on their long release 2h) and the fact the cant feint at the moment, and also the fact stabs are canceling the bezerking. If u really wanna see how fast they can stack the attack speed buff go dual wield norse sword and combo overheads.

Stabs cancel berserk? Are you sure? They didn’t in the alpha you could throw stabs in there all you want. Mind you I haven’t used Viking much not have I really tested the berserk mode to an extent in this beta.

And yes they can get really fast. As fast as flinch times. The big axe against an invincible bot so up lose no stamina. Hammer doesn’t work as you can kill the bit with an overhead headshot. Pretty funny because he instantly respawns so you usually kill him about 8 times in one swing.

• @BB:

Manliest class right now
    it’s understandable not everyone can deal with using it

what a fucking troll… dude, we we’re not talking about weapon tossing, we’re talking about the berserker mode which your all-knowing mind doesn’t seem to know about at all…

ill explain it to you: The more you swing - the faster your attack speed - Berserker mode

The problem with this concept and the reason we complain is that its too easily canceled (if your hit is parried, blocked or if the viking is hit himself its gone and you gotta start over)

We are asking for TB to Buff the berserker mode as it is pretty much useless atm… if you swing prematurely to get a decent attack speed and you engage the enemy and he parries then BAM you are at 30% stamina and he is at a 90% and there is no way you can outrun him… basically if you fail the berserk attack you die… if you can’t manage to get into berserker mode - well chances are you die anyway…

• Hes not a troll. He’s a manly man playing the manliest class the manliest way.

He has no need for berserk mode.

And his statement is completely true.

• The thing is there is kind of two ways of looking at it I see.

On the one hand, it’s a pretty useless ability. But then look at other classes abilities. The Samurai attacks when equipped a sword. The most I’ve used that for is cutting up dead bodies fashionably. The Knights special ability is that he’s harder to kill than everyone else, which isn’t really much of an ability. The Ninja and Pirate probably have the most useful abilities, being able to roll and heal when cheering respectively, but even they aren’t that great. And the Spartan doesn’t really have an ability (always having a shield equipped counts?).

So when I look at it like that, I don’t see as much of a problem with the ability being crap. But then the Viking doesn’t have much else to make him stand out. No real ranged weapons, just throwable melee weapons. Pretty average tankyness and damage ranging from lame to good depending on your weapon.

But still I’d really like the ability to be good enough to make Vikings really stand out.

• @lemonater47:

Hes not a troll. He’s a manly man playing the manliest class the manliest way.

well we can definitly agree that viking is the manliest class by default… nothing says man like pillaging, kidnapping pretty maids and plundering castles while viciously murdering everyone standing in the way of the “horde” …

reason he is the manliest class atm is that he is most likely the most “underpowered” class to an extent therefore if you manage to get a good score with him, there is a good reason to feel good about your performance… now im not saying he is the worst class, he does have some unique useful abilities… but that berserk mode needs improvement if he is to be on level with some of the other, more refined classes…

btw i DID notice the sarcasm in your post, i was just a little confused as to how i was going to respond :D

• Speaking of manly Vikings, don’t forget Braiding your hair and beard before going into battle, nothing screams manly like pink ribbons.

• @Jaggsaw:

@lemonater47:

well we can definitly agree that viking is the manliest class by default… nothing says man like pillaging, kidnapping pretty maids and plundering castles while viciously murdering everyone standing in the way of the “horde” …

reason he is the manliest class atm is that he is most likely the most “underpowered” class to an extent therefore if you manage to get a good score with him, there is a good reason to feel good about your performance… now im not saying he is the worst class, he does have some unique useful abilities… but that berserk mode needs improvement if he is to be on level with some of the other, more refined classes…

btw i DID notice the sarcasm in your post, i was just a little confused as to how i was going to respond :D

Target switching. That’s how to fully utilise his berserk ability. Serious this time. You can build up the speed using little stamina and lag dig all your hits.

Tracers for the two handers feel a little short though.

• @lemonater47:

@Jaggsaw:

@lemonater47:

Target switching. That’s how to fully utilise his berserk ability. Serious this time. You can build up the speed using little stamina and lag dig all your hits.

Tracers for the two handers feel a little short though.

its not viable though, i know changing targets will most likely make you keep most of your stamina as you built the berserk… but 1 hit from the enemy you previously hit, will cancel the entire thing :S

its very effective to use i.e Skeggox and multi-hit the other team(s)… but that also draws ALOT of attention to the viking himself… and few people are going to let him build that crazy attack speed…

of course it works sometimes… just not enough at all… maybe if berserk wasn’t cancelled when blocked/parries and only by taking a hit would make it viable… (you still lose stamina if you repeatedly hit a guy who blocks/parries, but the effect remains, and if he pokes you the effect is reduced by a percentedge… not completely canceled(lolol))

• @Jaggsaw:

of course it works sometimes… just not enough at all… maybe if berserk wasn’t cancelled when blocked/parries and only by taking a hit would make it viable… (you still lose stamina if you repeatedly hit a guy who blocks/parries, but the effect remains, and if he pokes you the effect is reduced by a percentedge… not completely canceled(lolol))

This is essentially what I feel the solution should be. Have the effect persist for long enough that a Viking that is constantly on the offensive will always be able to keep up a good amount of speed.

• @El:

@Jaggsaw:

This is essentially what I feel the solution should be. Have the effect persist for long enough that a Viking that is constantly on the offensive will always be able to keep up a good amount of speed.

right?? its only fair as Viking is currently unable to feint…

another soloution is to give them feints that doesn’t consume stamina, so they could feint their berserking… however… i feel my first suggestion was better… im just brewing ideas in my head at this point, cus the current state of berserk is not viable/acceptable

• Really ?! No feint with two-handed / 2x 1 handed weapon is not a bug ?
    I mainly use feint to avoid a teamhit… so it feels a bit clunky for me, but maybe it’s more balanced that way.

Jaggsaw@Jaggsaw:

right?? its only fair as Viking is currently unable to feint…

another soloution is to give them feints that doesn’t consume stamina, so they could feint their berserking… however… i feel my first suggestion was better… im just brewing ideas in my head at this point, cus the current state of berserk is not viable/acceptable

Or maybe allow faint until you get berserk ?