Spartan problems

• I think there are two major problems with the spartan:
    1 - It takes too long to reload the javelin
    2 - It is way too hard to adjust your aim when using any spear for melee. If the enemy sprints sideways, the sensitivity lock simply won’t let you keep your aim on him.

For balance purposes, it may also be interesting to make the shield bash animation more predictable or slower, as it is kind of OP.

• @MissingNo:

I think there are two major problems with the spartan:
    2 - It is way too hard to adjust your aim when using any spear for melee. If the enemy sprints sideways, the sensitivity lock simply won’t let you keep your aim on him.

For balance purposes, it may also be interesting to make the shield bash animation more predictable or slower, as it is kind of OP.

If he sprints to your right, stab him because it connects a tiny bit to the side, if he sprints to the left use your shield and pummel his face in. Other than that Javelin reload is fine don’t want it to be to OP.

• @Xylvion:

@MissingNo:

If he sprints to your right, stab him because it connects a tiny bit to the side, if he sprints to the left use your shield and pummel his face in. Other than that Javelin reload is fine don’t want it to be to OP.

That’s not a solution to the problem. The bash has really short range, and if he sprints you don’t hit him with a stab. If is was easier to change the direction of the stab, then it’s problem solved. As for the reload time, why not make it the same as in medieval warfare?

• @MissingNo:

@Xylvion:

@MissingNo:

That’s not a solution to the problem. The bash has really short range, and if he sprints you don’t hit him with a stab. If is was easier to change the direction of the stab, then it’s problem solved. As for the reload time, why not make it the same as in medieval warfare?

because spartans tossed spears (Dory, Javelin and short spear) does alot more damage than any of the spears in C:MW :)
    Especially the Dory… i one-shotted a knight with a lucky long range shot to he’s face once… it was epic…

• Bumping the thread back up because I take major issue with the javelin reload speed. I mained javelins in MW, and yes I understand there is a vast difference between the archer and the spartan, but regardless: Reloading javelins is atrocious right now. I have two problems:

• Reloading any spear as spartan takes much, much longer than the heavy javelin ever took in MW (max time was 1 second and even that got brought down to .65)
    • Getting hit while reloading still resets the reloading animation

I’ll take long reloads, but getting hit is still a death sentence. If I chuck a spear at a knight who is fifteen meters away, I should be able to fight in melee after that because, well, I’m a spartan. I was in an engagement like that last night where I threw my spear, knight came and clipped me before I was finished so I started over. I kite away, he turns and attacks a teammate then decides to come back to me after that and I still hadn’t finished reloading. So I restart the reload again. He runs away and comes back, starting my reload again. Then the next hit kills me. I was removed from melee combat for upwards of ten seconds because you can prolong the reloading process for a crippling amount of time.

I can take longer reload times because I know I’m not an archer anymore, but please address the flinching issue because it makes the short spear and javelin unreasonably risky to throw. The dory is already an awesomely superior melee weapon, but I’m a ranged player at heart and I can’t justify the benefit of taking extra ammunition if there’s a 2 second “Kill Me!” window every time I throw one.

/rant

• @Jaggsaw:

because spartans tossed spears (Dory, Javelin and short spear) does alot more damage than any of the spears in C:MW :)
    Especially the Dory… i one-shotted a knight with a lucky long range shot to he’s face once… it was epic…

The dory isn’t a throwing spear anyway, it’s a massive spear and you only have one of those. So you can’t “reload it”. The javelin and short spear are throwing spears, and it’s very annoying to use them due to the reload. Throwing spears are short to medium ranged weapons, which means you put yourself in danger as you are closing in on your enemy to throw at them. If you are flanking them and catching them unawares, good for you, you will most likely throw a few and be able to draw sword/reload your spear and defend yourself without as big of a risk. But if the enemy team sees you, and you see them, and you approach them for optimal range to throw a javelin… either you hit one of them or miss completely, they probably still end up in your face before you’ve gotten another spear up. Sure, I could stand further away or run away or whatever. But everyone’s so fast in this game that a medium distance between you will become a very short distance in a matter of seconds, faster than you reload the spear. And why does the spartan reload the spear so slowly? He holds his spears in the shield hand, it doesn’t take that long to pass one item from one hand to the other!

• Dory is still the best spear. 1 Throw hit with it on any class and one shield bash. free kill.

• I’m still much more annoyed by the fact that it’s so hard to land a stab with the spartan spears =(
    They are not good melee weapons at all! At least make them good for throwing…

• @MissingNo:

I’m still much more annoyed by the fact that it’s so hard to land a stab with the spartan spears =(
    They are not good melee weapons at all! At least make them good for throwing…

Well if you do it right then spears do more damage than the shield bash.

• I play mostly Spartan, probably 97% of the time. And am the only one having problems fighting someone that keeps running in circles or moving in random patterns? I find it really hard to fight against because of the short reach of the shield-bash and sword, and that spear stabs feel really unaccurate against moving targets. (spear inaccuarcy could just be me though.)

Another thing I noticed is that the swords for spartans feels really slow, most of the time I try to slash a Samurai I get my head cleaved in half by a katana overhead during the windup.

• Yeah, I agree that spears feel harder to stab people with now. Maybe it’s the increased speed, or maybe something else. But I main spear the spear in vanilla Chivalry, I am a one-trick pony but I fucking love spears. And using spear with the Spartan feels much harder in DW. I use the Yari with the Samurai, and it’s much easier. Although it does feel rather powerful, it feels just as easy to land hits as in vanilla Chiv with it. And I can slash with it, which I miss with like… the Viking spear, which I suck at using. That one feels different too. Does it make less damage too? When I play Spartan, I always have to go with the Sarissa, it feels like it belongs more to me, although I haven’t really gotten used to the reach and speed of it yet. And using such a defensive weapon like the Sarissa in such a fast-paced slasher-friendly game like DW… it’s a bit hard when everyone facehug you.

I think I do prefer the slower pace of vanilla Chiv, actually. DW is pretty much a facehug-gangbang fest atm.

• learn to aim with windup and use movement to aim
    alt shieldbash if he really wants to sprint around your stabs, also slashes are easier to aim because they come out close to the center of your screen
    you can also randomly armhit people if you’re close

basically, you need better precision

• Can someone explain what is with the spartan shield bash? I’ve been playing spartan all day and I noticed that it’s almost never blocked.

• Spartan probably has the highest skill floor, definitely not easy to get into, doesn’t require a change at this time though