Are a C:MW player who just tried C:DW? If so please post!

• I am collecting feedback for my own study based on some things that I am repeatedly hearing from players who have just tried Chivalry: Deadliest Warrior for the first time after playing Medieval Warfare. I am simply looking for your experience of the expansion so far, particularly any negative feedback. I am not a developer or moderator but I am a player with a deep passion for Chivalry in general and I am curious about what others think and feel.

Just post here with your basic thoughts and reactions and try not to clutter the thread with offtopic posts! Thank you in advance :)

Here is a format if you would like to use it.

**What are your general feelings on Deadliest Warrior after playing it?
    )

Are there any features or systems you specifically like or dislike in Deadliest Warfare?
    Note: This could be anything from combat mechanics to camera options to animations.
    )

About how much time have you spent playing Medieval Warfare?
    )

What class did you experiment with the most?
    )

How would you describe your play style in Deadliest Warrior?
    )**

• @questions:

) Not so good. Feels super rushed. Hell, the actual name of the “beta” program is ALPHA.exe

Are there any features or systems you specifically like or dislike in Deadliest Warfare?
    Note: This could be anything from combat mechanics to camera options to animations.
    ) Dislike: Hit detection. Changes to dragging. Parry. Balance. Game types. Everything combat related.

How much time have you spent playing Medieval Warfare?
    ) 200h

What class or type of combat style did you experiment with the most in Deadliest Warfare?
    )Samurai (w/o nodachi, it’s ridiculous looking OP bastardization of the weapon) spartan, knight, pirate, ninja. The only thing I havn’t really touched is vikings, because they’re so broken**

• What are your general feelings on Deadliest Warrior after playing it?

Before playing: Very negative feelings regarding this addon, would have liked more support for CMW instead.
    Very first game: “This is complete bulls**t, why did I buy this?”
    Now, after two days: There is a lot of work to be done, but it could become a really great game. I had a lot of fun in these two days, each match has its brilliant moments. I could imagine switching to this game when it’s finished.

Like:
    Multi-team modes (especially LTS) are great. I have never experienced a better teamplay in a public multiplayer game before in my life. And I could go without TO if they add many more maps.

Balancing is pretty decent from what I can tell. I was afraid they won’t manage to get this right, but I don’t think there is a very over- or underpowered class. Yes viking needs love and maybe some samurai weapons a little nerf, but apart from that it is really good.

Dislike:
    The melee combat: It’s just bad. Everything is too fast. But the fights take hours because of misses and reduced-damage attacks. Permanent heavy breathing because of no stamina. And teamattacks, teamattacks, teamattacks.

The UI: It has a gazillion bugs and history shows they’ll never be fixed. Chat doesn’t work after vote or the long sentence you were about to send is gone because the vote pops up. Voting doesn’t work because the focus is somehow not on the vote but on the game in background so when you want to click you start an attack. Not all players shown in teams when they are too big. Debug/missing strings AOC_HELMET_ONE_XYZ and stuff. Wrong messages, I switched to Pirate, clicked join and in chatbox it say You will respawn as blue Samurai. No default weapons based on last pick, oh thanks for two longswords that’s very handy if I lose one. No symbols for some weapons like the guns. Everyone in chat besides your teammates are yellow, I would like something like Superkiller89 (Viking) instead. This goes on and on, the UI is bad.

700 hours.

What class or type of combat style did you experiment with the most in Deadliest Warfare?

Tried everything for at least an hour but sticked to the knight with longsword and crossbow the rest of the time.

**)So fun
    **)+All the new mechanics are awesome
    )-The tracers feel weird, hitting and not hitting when I don’t expect them too
    **)Around 700 hours
    )Muh Ninggas
    )Viking is also hella fun and super manly

)Meh

)+I do like how funny some of the new voiceovers are, they crack me up a lot. The bow is awesome and I do like the animation for that, makes it fun to use.
    )-Hate! most of the animations, they mostly all look bad and I can’t read them sometimes, which then gets me confused in battles. A lot of times I feel like swings hit people when it looks like it shouldn’t, and vis versa.
    ) 760 hours

)Viking is cool looking, and the samurai is pretty fun.

-I like it, TB can’t slow down on work however…

-Short timers on LTS, alongside large maps and spartan vague voice options
    -That said “Why didn’t you duck!?” is hilarious

-I also don’t like FFA at this time (spawning and Spamurai)

-I do like Pirates, they are a wildcard and you can deal with them. Sometimes.

-376 hours (plus 15 in DW)

-Spartan, toss spear, use sword
    -Samurai solo 5 Spartans at once ( and WIN :P )
    -Ninja, avoiding combat as much as possible, backstabbing then running away.

-supprised by awesome amount of fun it gave me. Idea is silly as hell but it works in this awkward hilarious way. Can’t wait for final product, hopefully will be more polished than orginal Chiv.

-Viking throwable weapons, awesome! Idea for every class to be able to throw or shoot is cool.
    -Spartan shield play is cool.
    -Samurai animations and fighitng sounds, awesome.
    -Pirates are annoying especially when teaming together.
    -Ninja roll, much better implementation of the dodge mechanic.
    -Death cam is better?(if there is no force respawn)
    -Statistics screen looks decent, assists on scoreboard. GUI is….big…but better than in MW.
    -Color palette. More contrast and bloom, lighting looks better.
    -Speed of the game, me like it! It is more twitch based than MW is.
    -Voice commands, awesome as always!

-Title music…awful…like 2-3 tracks playing at the same time…turned it off as soon as I realised I can’t stand it.
    -Maps are really nicely done but they are big as hell. Few smaller ones (or smaller variations) would be great for smaller player counts(is it there?).
    -Duel mode is…strange.

Almost 1000h.

All of them. I had most fun with Ninja, Viking and Spartan though.

) It feels very unfocused and rushed, mostly a symptom of the ridiculous idea of throwing all these different classes and weapons into one game when they’ve had so much trouble balancing their first title.
    Also the basic premise of the game I find repulsive, though it does have its audience.
    I really wish they would have expanded in the “Chivalry Universe” and made it more cohesive than just pitting a bunch of over-hyped warriors from different eras to satiate a teenage boy’s fantasy.
    ) I like:
    The redesigned tracer system.
    Feints are more reactable.
    Multi-team LTS

I’m moderate about:
    Movement speed. It feels is odd, perhaps if being parried had a slightly longer sprint lockout it would be fine.

I do not like;
    Some of the class designs.
    The Viking’s “special ability” where consecutive combos become faster is quite useless in any semi-competent engagement as it’s not difficult to parry.

The Ninja feels like a MAA that has to rely on gimmicks, it’s easily shut down by a competent player.

The Pirate feels much like the Ninja, just a gimmick.

A lot of animations, they need pollishing. I know TBS has been looking to hire another animator so they probably are looking into this, at least I hope so.

The duel mode I’m not a fan of.
    They really should have just implemented it similar to how NabsterHax’s Chivalry+ mod works.

I’m not a fan of most of the maps, they look very uninspired or “stereotypical” which is understandable but disappointing.

) Around 600 hours.
    ) Viking, Spartan, Samurai, Ninja and Pirate in that order.

Having a lot more fun that I thought I would. Will wait for final release version but I think this could ultimately be more fun than C:MW.

• Love the new animations, especially Pirate and Ninja movement.

• Love Viking weapon toss.

• Love Multi-team game modes.

• Love the new voices.

• Love the new stats screen.

• Hate the inconsistent hit boxes.

• Hate Pirate chaingunning.

• Hate not being able to pick up thrown objects if they hit another player; dead or alive.

• Hate all of the UI bugs.

450 hours.

What class did you experiment with the most if any?

Have played each class for a few hours, however predominantly sticking with Spartan/Viking now.

How would you describe your playstyle?

Aggressive. I tend to charge headlong in to where the battle is thickest. As a Spartan I will throw my spear first and pull out my sword, and if I missed my throw I will always pick it up as I’m circling my opponent/s. As a Viking I duel wield Swords or Dane Axes and will usually start a a few swings to get my berserker mode up as I’m approaching and surprise them with the sped up attacks.

The downside to this mode of playing is I end up with quite a high number of deaths, but it’s damn fun. :)

It appears awesome and more ‘customizable’. ( I foresee the ability to spend lots of real money to buy little trinkets for your character in game. :D

It looks solid from the 10 min I played. ;)

208 hours appear on record for MW. Its a fantastic game. Love it!

Just the Spartan for now.

It seems to be a bit more graphic intense and for me that means my system crashed.
    No fear, I’ll lower some of my settings and still have a blast.

• Great posts so far guys! I really appreciate all of your feedback :) I am going to edit the original list to add in one more question.

“What class or type of combat style did you experiment with the most in Deadliest Warfare?” will now be two questions:

What class did you experiment with the most if any?

How would you describe your playstyle?

• Edited. :)

• @Dr.Nick:

) Rage. Although it’s fun with the new classes and the amount of teamwork in the game.

) So far I’ve had a lot of problems landing hits or blocking properly, guess that’s because i’m used to MW and blocking the tip of the weapon, here it seems like people can block everything looking forward. Anyhow slashes seems like the move to use, which I hate. I’ve spent my whole time on MW trying to use as few slashes as possible to not hit my teammates.
    I think people run a bit to fast because it’s easy to run away from more or less any weapon, although I don’t mind this, the wonky hitdetection is quite annoying though.
    The spawnsystem is tainty, I keep spawning on the opposite side of the map from my teammates or in FFA I get hit as soon as I spawn.
    I love that the blunderbuss is so random, sometimes you can miss while firing it and other times you hit while firing in a similar situation.
    The ninja should make some kind of sound while attacking it doesn’t have to be loud or heard from afar, maybe a 5meter radius max so the person getting attacked can hear it. This would be viable for flanking but still not impossible for the person fighting a ninja knowing where he is.
    The stuntime for shields. . . well this makes them OP, you can kick a shielduser or even bash his shield until he runs out of stamina but even so you will not be able to get a hit in (if he’s not a complete newb to shields/chiv) because you can raise the shield really fast.
    Maps are a bit plain, so far I only really enjoy the pirate cove one (don’t know the name) and Dojo. Bamboo got a lot of potential but needs quite a lot more details in the temple area, although it could use less details at the same time because of the framedrop playing this map. Acropolis is way to large, but it’s quite cool I do however want to be able to kick open the doors on it and be inside the buildings as well. Fjord is really interesting, but the roofs needs to be accesible, I think that’d open up for some new possibilities. I do know that Sly mentioned that mapsize is easily changed and therefore I’m not that concerned about the maps yet becauseif they’re smaller they might be awesome even without tweaks and such.

) 800+hours

) Archer and Supervan. ^assumed this was a follow up question to the one above. If not then:
    In DW I’ts been pirate/samurai/spartan.

) I don’t know what I’m doing wrong because I keep missing. I’m probably to used to chiv so I play pirate/ninja more like archer/maa meanwhile I play samurai and knight like I play vanguard. Although I can’t bend in my “weird exploit movements” properly in this game I still get hit. And I keep trying to drag, but people are able to block twice during a drag so they’re always unsuccessful.

• Though I like the DLC, I think the game has been given a too large boost in gamespeed.
    The game lacks the overview present in MW, which makes for more spam and less tactic gameplay.

• @smokingbobs:

Though I like the DLC, I think the game has been given a too large boost in gamespeed.
    The game lacks the overview present in MW, which makes for more spam and less tactic gameplay.

Its like 10% faster.

) I am genuinely surprised by how much better this is than I expected. It still isn’t nearly as polished as it will need to be, but that can be forgiven because beta. It’s hella fun and I foresee it being just as entertaining as MW when it is finished.

+The game’s art is great. New start screen music was a nice change of pace (though idk if I like it better than MW)
    +Every class is stylistically unique, both visually and within the gameplay. Color me impressed.
    +Loadouts provide a lot of variety, good stuff
    +New maps

+/- The increased speed. I’ll need more time to decide if I like this or not.

-I couldn’t find a server with decent ping. Lowest I had was 120ish. I am chocking this up to the small amount of time I put in, really just a small beef.
    -HOLY SHIT I NEED MY TO. GIMME TEAM OBJECTIVE
    -Tracers felt really, really wonky. This might boil down to my bad ping, but considering very few of my hits landed, I suspect it is tracers or different animations that are getting me
    -Voting for new maps needs to have the mode more clearly displayed. I wound up voting for something very hastily so I could close the menu and finish my fisticuffs. I hate LTS.

) 350 hours. Only played DW for an hour, so this post is just initial impressions.

) I lub me some Vikings. I enjoy basically everything but the Japanese ones, but that is just because I personally think they are lame. I did get some hands-on time with that nodachi. I’m sure it’ll get nerfed, far too easy.

) Unfortunately I did a lot of lmbing. I wept a bit on the inside every time I managed to kill somebody with it. It was a combination of poor hit detection/bad ping on my end though, I’m not seeing too many complaints on the forums so I suspect it is just an isolated problem for me.

******NOTE: All opinions subject to change, these are very initial impressions.

) It feels very different, to the point it isn’t fun. Hits don’t seem to connect as well as in MW and same for blocks.

) I love the 6 team fights, especially when you’re in a good team that works together. I also really like that we get assist now.

) 33hrs

) I played all the classes a lot, but I think I played Ninja the most

) Force a flinch and take advantage.

Ehhh…. clunky, but I just started playing. My opinion might change after I really get into it. Also, it’s strange to see the same basic 4 classes we see in MW played out in DW. I’m also with Xyl up there, hit detection feels weird. I hit when I shouldn’t have and miss when I know I hit them.

The nerf to drags and general swing manipulation made me a little sad. Those were the fun parts to Chivalry: MW in my opinion.

EDIT: I dunno about you guys, but this game feels really spammy.

~400 hours

Ninja/Knight

WTFISTHISWTFISTHAT.

• @lemonater47:

@smokingbobs:

Though I like the DLC, I think the game has been given a too large boost in gamespeed.

Its like 10% faster.

I thought it was actually 30% faster movement speed compared to MW but I am not sure. Anyways let’s leave that talk for other threads. People can post their feedback and reactions here regardless of what they say.

) At first i really didn’t like it, but its very fun once you start to get your head around it.

)LTS is very very fun, the players so far i have played with on the G O N servers (Australia) work together and it does become a game in itself to work together, very intense and does have its epic moments of seeing the enemy spartans making a wall thinking you will be slaughtered haha. Hard to explain, but overall its great to see that people DO try work together.

My only personal dislikes are the spartan voice, sounds very cheesy and needs a little more enthusiasm…
    ninja dust, constant bull shit hits which you do or miss with melee, Spawns in certain modes such as LTS, does spawn one or few more members of your team to get piled by other teams which is good and bad, i do like the whole needing to come together to win, as it reminds me of a survival type game though.

)300hr

)At first spartans for like 4 hrs, as it is great for long range damage, most class i play now is Pirates

) I love working with the team in the same class, or team based on what mode. I thrive on winning with the team using many things to help win, such as knowing where to run to if your spawn is fucked up, and holding your position with the right stuff.