[Poll] First Person vs Third Person

• I’m curious as to people’s preferences in C:DW? I was an exclusive first person player in C:MW but am finding it easier to play in third person in the expansion. Hopefully the cross-hair will be fixed in an update but I still find it fairly easy to time swings/parries.

• You either have the crosshair made for melee or for ranged. Can’t have both. They went for ranged.

• Hit p twice and you’ll get into 3PW from behind and the crosshair will be where it should.
    Anyhow I prefere 1st and I always will, 3rd person in a first person slasher is like battlefield in 3rd person which would be ridicolous, knives would be useless for example.

• I feel as though you practically HAVE to play in first person with certain classes to be most effective, like the samurai and ninja.

• I can tell the third person players immediately, they can’t parry anything and try to joust with diagonal sprinting. Pretty easy to handle.

• i for one ALWAYS play in 3rd person mode… it makes my sorroundings alot more readable… i.e i can tell if someone is coming to stab/slash/overhead me from the sides or sometimes even behind rendering me time to react (where 1st person can’t see shit other than whats right in front of me, usually resulting in a dirty back/sidestab death)

obviously you aim alot better in 1st person, but i have learned to aim decently precisely in 3rd person mode… in C:MW third person crosshair was next to unreliable, you had to “guess” where the arrow/spear would land… (usually a few degrees southwest of the crosshair).

But in C:DW the crosshair is actually precise in 3rd person mode… making range ALOT easier to handle whilest being able to spot whats going on around you…
    i have played the expansion for 35 hours total, and i have already gathered +20 headshots with my spartans dory spear ON MOVING TARGETS… Face it… some people are just better archers than you might be… taking arc, range and travel time into account before mindlessly throwing a main weapon leaving yourself at a disadvantedge.

i never understood why players have such a big problem with third person mode… is it an unfair ‘advantedge’ in your eyes?.. what is it that makes it so “nooby” ?.. the fact it has some advantedges over the close-sighted 1st person mode?..

I For one, like being able to see the decals/armor & colours of my character… otherwise what would customization serve for?.. your enemies??.. i find it kind of ridiculous that people complain about it tbh… its not like they can’t do it themselves…

• We NEED more 1rst person only servers , the problem is that people in 3rd person cant be flanked, dont have any penalties for using shields and can see through walls , I know some people like it but please give us a few First Person only servers , that way we can play a fair game

• @lemonater47:

You either have the crosshair made for melee or for ranged. Can’t have both. They went for ranged.

You can have both lol.

The reason I didn’t implement ranged in my mod was because I thought it would be unreliable since their code is actually changing your actual aim vector based on where you’re aiming. I actually don’t totally know how they did it so reliably to be honest. Then again I’ve only used it for upclose shots in 3rd person so maybe for long range pistol/bow shots it is indeed unreliable.

Would be cool if someone could confirm this. Thing is most people still think 3rd person crosshairs are broken.

• @Slight:

@lemonater47:

You either have the crosshair made for melee or for ranged. Can’t have both. They went for ranged.

You can have both lol.

The reason I didn’t implement ranged in my mod was because I thought it would be unreliable since their code is actually changing your actual aim vector based on where you’re aiming. I actually don’t totally know how they did it so reliably to be honest. Then again I’ve only used it for upclose shots in 3rd person so maybe for long range pistol/bow shots it is indeed unreliable.

Would be cool if someone could confirm this. Thing is most people still think 3rd person crosshairs are broken.

It seems that most people didn’t read the patch notes.

I don’t really play archer much in third person. But you no longer have to aim to the right to hit people. Fire at a stationary target at range and it will hit it.

• @lemonater47:

@Slight:

@lemonater47:

You can have both lol.

It seems that most people didn’t read the patch notes.

I don’t really play archer much in third person. But you no longer have to aim to the right to hit people. Fire at a stationary target at range and it will hit it.

Yeah I know, thing is moving targets. For example if I compensate left of the target for movement, the game does a tracer and finds that my crosshair is pointing at some rock 50 yards behind the player I’m trying to hit and it will aim at that. When really it should be aiming at the player as if he were standing where I’m aiming.

I had an idea to remedy this but the more I thought about it the more it felt like cheating.

My idea was as follows. First the algorithm would find the closest player to your crosshair. There would then be an imaginary plane aligned with the target’s forward vector (the direction the player is moving) of variable size that would depend on the speed of the player. The algorithm then traces your crosshair, finds the 3D point that is the intersection between the plane and that trace, and aims at that 3D point. To me this feels a bit like cheating since it would sort of help you aim better, but it’s the only way to reliably allow 3rd person shooting that I could think of. (and I hate archers so I didn’t want to help them out heheheheeeeeee)

• 3rd person masterrace. More awareness that’s super useful as the ninja as you can see round corners and hide. Sure, my blocking finesse isn’t as good as a 1st person player but i find my maneuverability and knowledge of weapon lengths trump most 1st person players. It’s good fun either way.

• @Footbeard:

3rd person masterrace. More awareness that’s super useful as the ninja as you can see round corners and hide. Sure, my blocking finesse isn’t as good as a 1st person player but i find my maneuverability and knowledge of weapon lengths trump most 1st person players. It’s good fun either way.

Ninja would be total cannon fodder without 3rd.

• @Slight:

@Footbeard:

3rd person masterrace. More awareness that’s super useful as the ninja as you can see round corners and hide. Sure, my blocking finesse isn’t as good as a 1st person player but i find my maneuverability and knowledge of weapon lengths trump most 1st person players. It’s good fun either way.

you do realize that as a ninja you cant sneak up on people that use 3rd person cam right …. it makes the silent steps useless and they can see through walls

• why is this a debate?
    3rd was disabled in all servers except official and no-grav before
    3rd will be disabled in all servers except official and no-grav here too

should tell you something when the only private servers that ran 3rd were no-grav

• @jairosh:

@Slight:

@Footbeard:

you do realize that as a ninja you cant sneak up on people that use 3rd person cam right …. it makes the silent steps useless and they can see through walls

über alle bonzen… stop spreading lies. i have sneaked up/been snooken(?) up by ninjas using 3rd person plenty of times…