Promoting an atmosphere for substantive discussion

• One difficulty I have when reading some of the threads here (or anywhere on this board or most) is the tendency folks have to attack each other. I just wanted to remind everyone that:

1) Insulting a person or their position does not invalidate their argument; engaging it with reason does.
    2) Insulting a person or their position does not validate your argument; supporting it with reason does.
    3) Insulting a person or their position does not prompt others to dismiss that person/their position; it prompts them to dismiss you/your position.
    4) Insulting a person or their position does not encourage a forum of active feedback; it discourages it by punishing those who submit potentially contentious feedback.
    5) Posts without much substantive content (i.e. “I don’t like it”) are not nearly as valuable as posts with substantive content.
    6) Assuming that your position is the only position is distasteful. We’re all guilty of it, but something as small as qualifying your statements with things like, “I believe,” or “In my opinion” can make what you say seem much more palatable and courteous (dare I say… CHIVALROUS?!? :jsmirk:). Not necessary, but always a nice touch. You can argue it is implied, but if so, can you indulge idiots like me who have trouble recognizing implicit qualifications?

I know lots of you probably think, “What’s the big deal? Who the fuck are you? Why do try and sound all proper like anyone gives a shit about you? Why do I feel the need to fucking curse so much?” I’m just a guy that likes to take things seriously, everything from the future of a game we all enjoy to how we treat other people. Even when I agree with someone, to see them express their opinion in a way that treats another human being like garbage makes me cringe.

So next time, rather than alleging someone’s mental retardation or saying that someone’s opinion is stupid, maybe consider treating them like another human being and engaging in an actual discussion. If the discussion goes nowhere or comes to a point where both sides have said their peace and aren’t backing down, just trust that you’ve presented your case in such a way that the rational majority will agree with you.

EDIT: inb4 someone posts in here with a witty comment like “No because FUCK YOU RETARD” which pretty succinctly flies in the face of everything I just said.

• Here here!

• @HeightofAbsurdity:

One difficulty I have when reading some of the threads here (or anywhere on this board or most) is the tendency folks have to attack each other. I just wanted to remind everyone that:

1) Insulting a person or their position not invalidate their argument; engaging it with reason does.
    2) Insulting a person or their position does not validate your argument; supporting it with reason does.
    3) Insulting a person or their position does not prompt others to dismiss that person/their position; it prompts them to dismiss you/your position.
    4) Insulting a person or their position does not encourage a forum of active feedback; it discourages it by punishing those who submit potentially contentious feedback.
    5) Posts without much substantive content (i.e. “I don’t like it”) are not nearly as valuable as posts with substantive content.
    6) Assuming that your position is the only position is distasteful. We’re all guilty of it, but something as small as qualifying your statements with things like, “I believe,” or “In my opinion” can make what you say seem much more palatable and courteous (dare I say… CHIVALROUS?!? :jsmirk:). Not necessary, but always a nice touch. You can argue it is implied, but if so, can you indulge idiots like me who have trouble recognizing implicit qualifications?

I know lots of you probably think, “What’s the big deal? Who the fuck are you? Why do try and sound all proper like anyone gives a shit about you? Why do I feel the need to fucking curse so much?” I’m just a guy that likes to take things seriously, everything from the future of a game we all enjoy to how we treat other people. Even when I agree with someone, to see them express their opinion in a way that treats another human being like garbage makes me cringe.

So next time, rather than alleging someone’s mental retardation or saying that someone’s opinion is stupid, maybe consider treating them like another human being and engaging in an actual discussion. If the discussion goes nowhere or comes to a point where both sides have said their peace and aren’t backing down, just trust that you’ve presented your case in such a way that the rational majority will agree with you.

EDIT: inb4 someone posts in here with a witty comment like “No because FUCK YOU RETARD” which pretty succinctly flies in the face of everything I just said.

tl:dr

Not listening to this noob.

(But in all seriousness, I agree lots :P, and if I’ve trespassed on any of these grounds, I’d prefer to be called out on it.)

• Nobody gets along on the internet.

• @HeightofAbsurdity:

“No because FUCK YOU RETARD”

This sums up every anti-CFTP argument, ever.

anyway agree but if people cant bring good arguments its annoying and its hard to have a discussion like this if you dont know for sure if TBS will listen anyway

anyway hieight fduck you who the fuck do you think you are that u can make people follow your rules you piece of shit? fuck you faggot

fuk you… wan sum fuk? fuk you bitch

^jklol lovers4lyfe :rage:

• Meh if people rage people rage. Happens all the time you can stop it without extreme moderation.

• HeightOfAbsurdity gets it. Too many people are just spouting “no you’re wrong” and it needs to stop. Either put some effort in to your post and prove you really care about the game like you say, or admit that the opposite party has valid points.

Denying facts with personal attacks is not the way to go, you quacks!

• @RushSecond:

HeightOfAbsurdity gets it. Too many people are just spouting “no you’re wrong” and it needs to stop. Either put some effort in to your post and prove you really care about the game like you say, or admit that the opposite party has valid points.

Its so funny that you say that lol

• I haven’t personally attacked anyone, at least not on purpose. I have done the “you’re wrong” a bit, but that’s when I’m tired or don’t have much time, and just want to quickly show that I’m still paying attention and disagree with whatever the topic is. Usually I get more detailed (and you can check my post history if you don’t believe me).

• HeightofAbsurdity.

I have repeated much of what you have said well over a hundred times in PM’s to our favorite forums users who just can’t get along with any one.

I love your post Height, I think we should sticky it in general discussion or somewhere were everyone can read it.

• @CRUSHED:

@RushSecond:

HeightOfAbsurdity gets it. Too many people are just spouting “no you’re wrong” and it needs to stop. Either put some effort in to your post and prove you really care about the game like you say, or admit that the opposite party has valid points.

Its so funny that you say that lol

Crushed…read Height’s post again and then read what you just said. Now go sit in the corner and think about what you’ve done.

• Totally Height.

I must say that the Testing Ground forum was a lot more civilized during alpha. Since it went beta and we have a lot more people participating it had become a lot more argumentative.

• @King:

HeightofAbsurdity.

I have repeated much of what you have said well over a hundred times in PM’s to our favorite forums users who just can’t get along with any one.

I love your post Height, I think we should sticky it in general discussion or somewhere were everyone can read it.

What does that warning level thing mean. My warning level is 3.

• Critical implosion occurs at 5.

• @lemonater47:

@King:

HeightofAbsurdity.

Just the number of warnings you’ve received I think.

• @SlyGoat:

@lemonater47:

@King:

HeightofAbsurdity.

Just the number of warnings you’ve received I think.

Sly is correct. Once you reach 5, you’re forced to play 100 games as an archer using only a dagger.

Also, just want to say I really enjoyed the post Legion. If only everyone thought like that, then there wouldn’t be much need for moderators. :P

• Depending on the severity of the warning, it will then lead to temp bans. So kids, play nice for mommy!

• @Kimiko:

Depending on the severity of the warning, it will then lead to temp bans. So kids, play nice for mommy!

mommy? MOMMY!

• @lemonater47:

Where do you see this?

• @NoVaLombardia:

@lemonater47:

Where do you see this?

See the cog next to your PM inbox notification. Click that.