Proposal: Voice command system overhaul

• I’m looking forward to a discussion on this topic but please leave one argument out of this: Priority.
    I am fully aware that there are a gazillion things with higher priority than this, and there are already topics for those issues. Thank you ;)

First of all, I really, really love the voice commands. It’s one of the things that makes Chivalry special in my opinion. I use them all the time even during fights. I use them for fun but also for tactical messages to my team (which unfortunately often go unnoticed).

Now I would like to propose giving this system an overhaul consisting of three ideas to make it not just funnier but more useful:

• Synchronize it

• Give (optional) explicit control about which command is played

• Add new useful commands

Synchronize it:
    A lot of really funny moments are lost because the system isn’t synchronized. Player A says a really fitting line, but player B hears something completely different. Everybody’s reaction when he first realizes that voice commands are not synchronized is very negative.
    Example from yesterday: Player A accidentally throws a spear in B’s back. And I hear A saying something like “Sometimes my spear has a mind of its own.” which was just so perfect for this moment. But I know that most likely both of them heard something different and the humor was lost. Even though I must admit that all Spartan sorry lines are hilarious :D
    Plus from a technical point of view, I don’t think it is that hard to transmit an extra parameter with a unique integer to identify which voice command should be played. More network traffic, yes, but one more parameter shouldn’t be the cause of lag, should it?
    This is also coupled with the next idea of my proposal.

Give (optional) explicit control about which command is played:
    A new checkbox in the game options: [] Extended voice command control.
    When I check that box, I can choose exactly which voice command should be played. When I press X - 1 a new menu opens where I can choose from the available “Yes” commands for my character.
    So the menu for the spartan looks like this for example:

1\. Random
    2\. Yes!
    3\. Agreed!
    4\. Indeed!
    5\. Yahhh!
    6\. Quite so!
    7\. Affirmative!
    8\. Aha!
    9\. True!

```So now I can choose my favorite or the most fitting "yes" line. This makes even more sense for other voice commands, e.g. "respect". I can choose a line fitting for a living enemy ("You are making me sweat!"), a dead enemy ("You are an admirable adversary!") or a teammate ("You are skilled in the arts of warfare!").

I don't want to say "You are making me sweat!" to a teammate that fought by my side :D

**Add new useful commands:**
    "Go for the objective" and "Kill the archers" don't make that much sense in Deadliest Warrior.
    So why not make "Kill the archers" to "Kill the …", which opens a new menu like explained before that offers these options:

1. Pirates / Blue Team
    2. Samurai / Green Team
    3. Vikings / White Team
    4. Ninja / Red Team
    5. Knights / Pink Team
    6. Spartans / Black Team

Plus I would like some new commands that I miss from time to time:
    - Stick together
    - Hide
    - Wait/Slow Down (to regen or reload)
    - Left flank / Right flank
    - Let's work together (to an enemy)
    - Mercy!
    - Enemy spotted

What do you guys think?

• absolutely brilliant!! i always hated the clunky, senseless replies when my character makes a voice command and someone replies with something totally unrelated…

i simply agree with everything you said… the only disadvantedge of course being that you can’t make a ‘quick’ voice command as you have to click 2-3 times more + look for the actual comment you want to express… but thats a minor issue and shouldn’t really be taken into consideration… maybe they could add an option to ‘disable’ the extra comments for people who want to get a voice command off as fast as possible, being senseless at best, but quicker.

also:

• Stick together
    • Hide
    • Wait/Slow Down (to regen or reload)
    • Left flank / Right flank
    • Let’s work together (to an enemy)
    • Mercy!
    • Enemy spotted

These are needed BIG TIME…

• @Jaggsaw:

i simply agree with everything you said… the only disadvantedge of course being that you can’t make a ‘quick’ voice command as you have to click 2-3 times more + look for the actual comment you want to express… but thats a minor issue and shouldn’t really be taken into consideration… maybe they could add an option to ‘disable’ the extra comments for people who want to get a voice command off as fast as possible, being senseless at best, but quicker.

Glad to hear someone agrees to this =)
    As I said, the extended control over voice commands should be optional. Plus you can still choose “random” with X-1-1 (just one 1 more to click) and most likely you would know your favorite lines after a week anyway.

• Torn Banner needs to address this post.

• The ideas are just brilliant! And I agree on everything you said.

I really hope TBS puts them in the game.

An additional “nice”, or “good work”-command would be useful as well. I love the Chivalry-voice-commands, they are excelently done. But let’s face it: The menu is clunky.

A button to change to a second “site” of voicecommands by pressing x would be better than of the system we have in place at the moment. One site should only contain 5 commands (Possibly configurable in the options). This way there could be more commands, but still well accessable!

• Kill the archers is still useful. But go for the objective is obsolete.

Your overhaul makes it more complicated. And sometimes there’s more than 10 variations of a saying.

• @lemonater47:

Kill the archers is still useful.

I think kill the pirates, or kill the spartans would be way more useful.

@lemonater47:

Your overhaul makes it more complicated. And sometimes there’s more than 10 variations of a saying.

As I said, it should be optional to explicitly choose which voice command is used. Five different intonations of “Yes!” can be summarized to one. Otherwise you could maybe pre-configure which lines you want to be able to choose from?

• Brilliant idea, sure it’s more work but I think that the voice commands add so much character depth and TBS do them really well. More is better.

• Yes great idea, it would also make the tactical messages better because sometimes they sound very inconsistent.